• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any wrenchers?

R

rmk_racer

Nov 26, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
Not perfect or good as new but not bad considering!! Could have been a whole lot worse very easily. Middle one in particular is still pretty sensitive. Made hanging on to a race sled quite challenging! Should be lots better this year!

By the way... I hated wrenching before that too!

D
Oct 7, 2009
Washington
After this thread and meeting so many rockin' sled chicks at the snow show this weekend, I was inspired to do a little work on my sled today. Now, keep in mind, this is pretty much the first time I've ever done anything to it, at all. My husband kept me company and gave me an overview, but I did it myself! :cool:

Some pics and commentary, if anyone's interested:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=40022&id=1482683881&l=042d3a65c9

P
Dec 7, 2007
Mill Creek, WA
learning

As far as the gloves go: I wear them as often as I can. If I find I want more dexterity, grab a smaller size. XLs go on easiest, larges are kinda snug. I use larges almost all the time, but if I'm doing real fine work, I'll squeeze into mediums. Yes, my hands start to hurt after a bit, but take them off, and take a short break. If speed is really critical, then yes, bare skin is faster (for me) but those darn gloves make clean-up much nicer, and have saved me lots of cuts over the years.

With my wife's younger sisters, the past couple years have been a learning experience for me. I'd like to say I've fully learned, but alas, I can be dense sometimes (most of the time). :rolleyes:

It takes more patience to show someone how to do something, and wait for them to do it at their speed, (most of the time speed comes with experience/practice), and carefully watching over their shoulder to make sure to GUIDE them, not direct them. I think this applies to teaching a kid how to use a hammer, to teaching your spouse how to change a sled belt, to aluminum welding. (my wifes first bead was great!) I've noticed that her attitude and interest level is usually (but not always) affected by my demeanor, and how warm I can make the garage. :D

So, to the fellas that are reading this thread, as much as we might like the idea of being chivalrous and take care of our gal(s), keep in mind we have to have the right attitude to encourage our gals to learn at least the basics, and keep our ego's in check.

To the gals: Please keep in mind that we are men, and sometimes we don't communicate the same way you do. Sometimes, we desperately want you to show interest, but maybe we don't know how to express that. When you see your guy (or whoever is trying to show/teach you) do something quickly and easily, keep in mind, there was a time they struggled with it, so if you are having a hard time, don't beat yourself up. We all started somewhere. I can share with you that my wife gets frustrated with herself if she can't do something right away that I have been doing for a while. It just takes practice, and I'd like to second AKSnowrider's wisdom that it makes it much easier if you UNDERSTAND what that mechanical part actually does, and why it's important.

To the guys: Be PATIENT, BE KIND, remember what it was like the first time you did it, and how nice it was if you had someone who was patient walking you through it. If we start our projects very early, we can afford to progress slowly, and not be 'under the gun' time-wise.

Hopefully this made some sense,

PE

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
I do more of the *small* stuff, and the hubby usually takes on the rest. Of course I do all of the polishing/cleaning on both of our sleds while he's doing the wrenching. We are putting new pistons in both of our sleds this year (precautionary), and I'll be right there with him. :face-icon-small-hap

I don't mind getting dirty, and I was right in there when the hubby, myself and two good friends...... changed my 144x2 inch track out for a 153x2.25.

****One thing I would like to say about gloves, if you are going to be in the grease/chemicals much, you should wear them for the safety factor. I didn't think as much about it until my son was/is dating a gal whose Father got cancer (he lives here). He's been to Salt Lake I don't know how many times (lived down there for months at a time). Radiation, chemo, bone marrow transplant.....lots of issues. His doctors figure he got the cancer from the chemicals. He ran his own automotive shop, and never wore gloves. The docs figure the chemicals got into his system through his skin, and he's been struggling with life for several years now. :( Just a heads up. I know it doesn't happen to everyone, but I don't want to be that one in however many that this happens to.

P
Dec 7, 2007
Mill Creek, WA
Great point about chemical exposure. While most folks don't do enough in their garage or home shop if they only work on their own stuff, the chemicals we have available to us can be very nasty, with unknown long term effects. I forgot to mention that in my comments about gloves. It could be compared to a seat belt or helmet, get used to it, its safer.

Besides, the chemicals that work the best are usually the worst for us. :rolleyes:

thanks CatWoman for your fantastic point, I'm sorry to read about your son's girlfriend's dad, that sucks.

PE

D
Oct 7, 2009
Washington
With my wife's younger sisters, the past couple years have been a learning experience for me. I'd like to say I've fully learned, but alas, I can be dense sometimes (most of the time). :rolleyes:

It takes more patience to show someone how to do something, and wait for them to do it at their speed, (most of the time speed comes with experience/practice), and carefully watching over their shoulder to make sure to GUIDE them, not direct them. I think this applies to teaching a kid how to use a hammer, to teaching your spouse how to change a sled belt, to aluminum welding. (my wifes first bead was great!) I've noticed that her attitude and interest level is usually (but not always) affected by my demeanor, and how warm I can make the garage. :D

So, to the fellas that are reading this thread, as much as we might like the idea of being chivalrous and take care of our gal(s), keep in mind we have to have the right attitude to encourage our gals to learn at least the basics, and keep our ego's in check.

Well said!

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
As far as the gloves go: I wear them as often as I can. If I find I want more dexterity, grab a smaller size. XLs go on easiest, larges are kinda snug. I use larges almost all the time, but if I'm doing real fine work, I'll squeeze into mediums. Yes, my hands start to hurt after a bit, but take them off, and take a short break. If speed is really critical, then yes, bare skin is faster (for me) but those darn gloves make clean-up much nicer, and have saved me lots of cuts over the years.

To the gals: Please keep in mind that we are men, and sometimes we don't communicate the same way you do. Sometimes, we desperately want you to show interest, but maybe we don't know how to express that. When you see your guy (or whoever is trying to show/teach you) do something quickly and easily, keep in mind, there was a time they struggled with it, so if you are having a hard time, don't beat yourself up. We all started somewhere. I can share with you that my wife gets frustrated with herself if she can't do something right away that I have been doing for a while. It just takes practice, and I'd like to second AKSnowrider's wisdom that it makes it much easier if you UNDERSTAND what that mechanical part actually does, and why it's important.

To the guys: Be PATIENT, BE KIND, remember what it was like the first time you did it, and how nice it was if you had someone who was patient walking you through it. If we start our projects very early, we can afford to progress slowly, and not be 'under the gun' time-wise.

Hopefully this made some sense,

PE

Great Post Davey!!

I will add: dont be afraid to make a mistake...I've put pistons in backwards, tracks on backwards (thanks Mark!! :beer; ), forgot an important step and had to backtrack MANY times(this is a VERY common mistake, even among experienced mechanix), etc...

Just start small, take your time, take notes every step of the way, and even take pics of each step (technology really is your friend).

And above all, HAVE FUN with it. Attitude is EVERYTHING...if you say you'll hate it, then you probably will. :D :beer;

C

Comp 670

Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, WA
If I had a dollar for every time I made a mistake working on something...Well,I would have a dollar. Actually,I'd be a millionaire.Just like in life making mistakes working on things is how we learn.

Dana has been helping me work on my race car and yes,she has her probs some times but she is learning fast and asks all the time when we are going out next.She is starting to understand how things work and why they do what they do and it helps her work on the car easier.Same with sleds,the more you work on them the more you understand how they work and it can actually make them easier to ride..:face-icon-small-hap

As you learn you can also help dial the sled into your liking.I think that's the biggest plus of all.Guys have a hard time setting sleds up for women because we tend to have a different approach to how we make the sled do what we want it to do.As you learn about your sled you can adjust it the way YOU want it.

H
Jan 9, 2008
Woodland, WA
Just start small, take your time, take notes every step of the way, and even take pics of each step (technology really is your friend).

This is especially good advice when working on rear suspensions. They can really get frustrating when you're looking at a pile of parts on the floor and everything has to go back together just the right way. Pictures make all the difference.

B

BackCountryBabe

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 10, 2009
Island Park, Idaho
www.hasended.com
sadly not yet?

I work on my bikes that's about it. I NO NOT'N, I mean nothing about engine sleds. No time then the present to learn. I am ready...willing .. and the weekend is here in 2 days.

I would love some help. Is there a pre winter checklist? Pre and post ride checklist? What about storing it for the summer months checklist? Ohhh I would bee sooo greatful for any guidance. :rose:

W

Wish

Apr 30, 2002
Tri Cities, WA
www.staceysdesign.com
My stepfather used to refuse to do any maintenance on my cars....his philosophy was, if you own it...you need to know how to take care of it yourself. Unless your rich and can afford to just pay someone to do it for you. I wasn't rich then...still not rich. So I've been "wrenching" since I was 15. I've learned so much....and I love every bit of it. Jesse Combs is my idol! :p

I do take every opportunity I get to climb under a hood....or into a sled/bike...whatever it be.

Do I do it all? Noo...sometimes I feel like I'm in the way so I back off and let the experts take charge. But when invited...I eat the stuff up.

I thank my step dad for that logic, I hope to pass it onto my kids...it has given me a strong sense of independence. Now days, there isn't a thing Google can't teach you either! I wish I had more time and money to wrench for fun....and if I ever won the lottery, I would build my very own shop..it would be pink and diamond plate...but it'd still be sweet, girly or not! :p

P

PowderGirl

Nov 26, 2007
McCall, Idaho
www.facebook.com
Great thread!!!!!! Awesom to see so many ladies wrenching on their own stuff!

Me and wrenches dont get a long - I just dont think we understand eachother and when we try to see eye to eye, I end up bruised, bleeding or with a black eye! But on a more serious note - I'm sure I could figure out how to do it if I had to. I do change parts, clean air filters, and hand out tools here and there when we're running out of time just to help my man out but I might request that he return help me out in the kitchen at a later time (which he is awesome at!). It's good to at least know some basic maintenance and how to change belts and spark plugs!

P
Dec 7, 2007
Mill Creek, WA
tools

I'll toss this thought out there: Earlier in the thread, we mentioned the benefit of understanding what a part does. That can be applied to tools as well. If we learn what a tool is supposed to do, and how it's designed to work, they will work better for us. (and I will admit there are times we use tools for a purpose other than intended - screwdrivers can make handy prybars and chisels ;) )

The partner concept to this is: use the right tool for the job you're trying to do. And, unfortunately, sleds can be a hodgpodge of metric and SAE stuff,("domestic" cars are this way as well, and it drives me nuts): If that 1/2" just doesn't quite fit right, it might be a 12mm, or if that 13mm doesn't fit right, it might be a 1/2".

Tool knowledge and access can be important. If you are fortunate to be able to borrow a tool you don't own, but need, remember to respect that tool, (don't ruin it) and return it to the person who was kind enough to loan it to you. A kind soul willing to loan me a tool has saved my bacon more than a few times.

Thanks CG for starting this thread, it appears it is full of great tips, I hope we have offered them appropriately. :)

Oh, and I thought I'd add that my most recent project I planned to complete in a couple days, has taken over 2 weeks, so even people who have mechanical experience find bumps in the road!

I
Mar 26, 2008
Proctor MN
IMG_1108.jpg

IMG_1107.jpg

IMG_1109.jpg

Here I am working on my IQR. Not too dirty today, it was kind of nice! Just riveting on my front belly pan. I have been learning a ton on this build. My hubby has been very patient with me to teach me why and how things are put together. It has been really fun!

Premium Features