• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Question for the Ladies: Large Clothing?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Question for you ladies.

When it comes to BIG BOYS, there is no shortage of XL, 2XL, 3Xl heck, even 4 and 5Xl are out there.

But are there any companies that cater for large gals looking for "plus" sizes.

girlpowder

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2009
Utah, land of the FLUFF!!!
From my experience. Buying gear for dirt or snow I end up with mostly men's gear. Height is the issue for me with long arms and legs. I guess girls are suppose to be under 5ft 3inches. :confused: and tiny feet. But I can make myself look like a girl with my pack, helmet and goggles. A lot of the ladies have their sleds custom and girlie lookin. So it really doesn't matter what they wear.:D

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
My wife is a commercial grade seamstress.
Can make you a wedding gown by hand.

And I have told her for years that I think there is a market for CUSTOM women's clothing. Especially LARGE clothes for small women.

Taking a short lady and wrapping her in men's clothing ends up with ENORMOUS legs and waist left over.

So I am just currious if there is anyone who caters to this market, or if there are no large gals that ride sleds?

girlpowder

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2009
Utah, land of the FLUFF!!!
I think your wife could make a lot of money making gear for the ladies that ride. We come in all shapes and sizes and it would be nice to have something fit you the right way. But as far as I know, nobody makes gear for women with a shape. Tell her to start something, it would be a great success.:D
I honestly don't have anything that fits me perfectly. There is always something wrong.

S

Soccerd6

Nov 21, 2007
Marysville, WA
the mfg'rs who have tried to cater to women thought we were more interested in looks than functionality. I put a coat on recently that was a "womens" coat, and it was so freakin' overstuffed that I could never ride with it on - I'm seriously considering removing the fluff (I, too, have dabbled with my own seamstress business.... MANY years ago - LOL!)

and if she does purse this, please, PLEASE.... not all women like pink!!!! ;)

S

sled*dunk

Dec 3, 2007
Rock Springs, WY
As a lady that just lost almost 90 lbs and was in a 2x trying to snowmobile; finding gear sucked! I FINALLY found one pair of 2x ladies bibs that fit. They were fairly padded and puffy, which made it even more difficult to move around, but I was warm. I can't remember the brand. Trying to find legs that weren't a mile too long was about impossible too.
I wore a 2x Columbia coat for work, snowmobiling, everything. It got washed a lot but all I had and could find.
I definately encourage your wife to pursue it!

W

Wish

Apr 30, 2002
Tri Cities, WA
www.staceysdesign.com
The market for ladies gear is pretty small as far as I know....last year I finally got a coat that I didn't have to roll the sleeves up on to wear! :p

I have mostly men's gear.....but I don't mind, it just gives me something to "make" girlie!
I am sure there is a market out there....big or small, for me...finding things small enough (hands and feet specifically) is the challenge I have:face-icon-small-hap

Cowgirl151

Premium Member
Jul 21, 2005
Soda Springs, Idaho
Yep, womens gear is never right. And none of the women will ever be pleased!!!:p Too long, too short, to hot to wear sledding, too baggy, no removable liner, pink, not pink........and the list goes on and on!:confused:

For me, I can never find the right length! If I bought a womens pant in my exact waist size, they flood up to my knees!!! So I have bought Klim mens freerides in a small tall. Which (of course....a complaint!) are too baggy but klim don't offer a tall in the mens xsmall!!! Go figure............:rolleyes:

M

mtnjunkie

Mar 2, 2008
Another thing she could do is alterations. I bought Freerides this year and they fit pretty well except the butt is HUGE. I could fit two of mine in there. And the crotch hangs so low. It's not a huge deal and I'm sure I'll get used to it. But a lot of women might be interested in buying name brand gear and then altering them to fit better. I know most gear is very high wasted and I hate high wastes, I think a lot of women do. It's very uncomfortable. Most mens gear is very high wasted. I think it would be a good business. I'm sure there's women that would pay to have better fitted or more fashionable gear. Personally I just want to be comfortable, warm and dry.
I also don't like pink and am normally mistaken for a small guy when sledding. Doesn't bother me, I don't buy anything pink...

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
In all seriousness, I am REALLY surprised by such a consistent commentary from ALL of you ladies, in that no one is making a good line of female sled clothing!

I would have just guessed that we had not come across it yet, but that it HAD to be out there.

I know here on SnoWest we are 97% male by membership. But what are the demographics of riders in general??

Are there that FEW female riders out there??????

T
Feb 25, 2008
Ronald, WA
Best reply of the night.

Christopher...I think you should review some of rules of the Ladies Only Forum....Seriously.....

1. Treat the women of Snowest with the UTMOST RESPECT they have earned it and deserve it!

2. Any comments that are chauvinist, derogatory or offensive will not be tolerated, please keep it clean and positive in nature.
3. Men are welcome to post and involve themselves in the topics related to women’s riding issues, and any inappropriate thread will be moved or deleted by the moderators.

4. In order to maintain a positive environment, please report anything that you feel is not appropriate.

Your remarks tonight to Soccerd6 are alot of the reasons women don't post on this forum. :mad:

Consider you and your executive privilege "slapped". :eek:

Last edited:
I
Mar 26, 2008
Proctor MN
I think there needs to be a better market for lady riders-- there are a ton of us riding that get mistaken for men all the time. I also do not like pink, so I am in all male Klim. I like that Klim is trying to come out with a ladies line, but they are making it so insulated, that I get too hot and sweaty. I wish they(or someone) would come out with the same plan as the Klim layers, but just cut for real women. Some of us are really small and others of us are not.

There are a ton of lady riders that ride harder than most of the men I ride with, we deserve to be respected not only on this site, but also when we are riding. I love passing a guy while riding, him trying to keep up and when I stop he races up to me, looks at my sled, then I take off my helmet and he is wondering-- WHAT JUST HAPPENED??? I JUST GOT SMOKED BY A CHICK???--:eek:yes darling--girls know how to ride too!!!;)

S

Soccerd6

Nov 21, 2007
Marysville, WA
Best reply of the night.

and yet, here I am, back 7 1/2 hours later.... ;)

and I'm so used to the pink comments, doesn't even phase me anymore, so I didn't take offense, but I can see Tumble's point....

There are a ton of lady riders that ride harder than most of the men I ride with, we deserve to be respected not only on this site, but also when we are riding. I love passing a guy while riding, him trying to keep up and when I stop he races up to me, looks at my sled, then I take off my helmet and he is wondering-- WHAT JUST HAPPENED??? I JUST GOT SMOKED BY A CHICK???--:eek:yes darling--girls know how to ride too!!!;)

the best is when we stop to help get them unstuck - LOL!

P

Puddy Tat

Oct 4, 2008
Northern, Utah
Treat the women of Snowest with the UTMOST RESPECT they have earned it and deserve it,

I like that saying

you are wrong about not a lot of ladies out there, There are a ton of lady riders, I keep Reading all this on here about how the clothing don’t fit on you, Arctic cat has a lot of women’s stuff and there women’s fashion fit pants are so nice Just right in the length I am 5'3' and they fit perfectly, I like a 34 length and that’s about what they are and I have a sno Pro coat that has the liner it, the coat is longer 4” more so than a jacket and it’s not bulky, you should check them out, I never get cold.

I find myself taking things off all day and when evening comes around you can put it back on. and I have sorrel boots and I have Interchanger Gloves, It seems to work for me. My Best Friend always buys herself coats that are snug so she looks good and she can’t move around and she is always cold. So buy a little bit big, then you have movement. Cat also has a great men’s line up that you can buy Tall’s, for sledding gear it’s the best for me that I have ever found out there! And for larger gals they have in the sno pros in men and women’s size’s 2x 3x 4x 5x I think cat has it together for their line of clothing anyway. Better than any I have put on.
I think any help with the clothing line would be fine.

And by the way There are a ton of lady riders that ride Hard or even ride harder than most of the men, I think that we deserve to be respected not only on this site, but also when we are riding as well. Don’t always assume it’s a man your riding next to or even climbing with, you know what is the funniest thing to do is when guys have played on and tried to Climb a hill, That they all sit at the bottom and show off at, and you come along Zip up the hill like nothing and get to the bottom take off your helmet and Bam it’s a girl the guys just look put there Helmets on and leave, I love it you have all been schooled by a girl, so don’t under Estimate the ladies on here I bet there are a lot of us that would put a lot of men to shame give Credit where credit is due, Times are changing get on the train. Or get left at the station.

Last edited:

WYsteph

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
WY
www.dxgillette.com
I know here on SnoWest we are 97% male by membership. But what are the demographics of riders in general??

Are there that FEW female riders out there??????

Sadly, I think so. I know a few women that ride, but really it seems to be about 50 to 1 ratio. A lot of the time I will be the only gal and when there is another woman they don't really like to ride. :(

My husband is always teaching/helping/showing me how to ride better, he is thrilled that I want to ride hard and very proud of the fact that I can outride guys. Maybe if other guys would take more of that line of thought there would be more women interested in our sport.

As for clothes, I fit into mens xs-small and you can get such a good deal on those sizes I haven't bought any womens gear as of yet. Does it fit perfectly no, but I guess I dont' really care if it is all that fitted for sledding.

Also the pink thing- think christopher was just kidding. :p

Premium Features