• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Another WTF Christopher????

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
A
Aug 7, 2009
Berthoud Colorado
Well look at the guests as well. I think it could get really close to that.
Nice server. Hey Ya know I work at IBM? If there is an IBM server you like let me know. I will see what the employee price is. ok

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Do you honestly think that SnoWest will hit anywhere near 10,000 members online at once? The most ever so far is less then 5k, and there are a little over 9,000 active members. Based on those numbers, SnoWest will have to DOUBLE it's active members, I don't think so.

Why are you so convinced that there is going to be a crazy flood of new members coming to SnoWest this winter? I am sure SnoWest will gain members but I bet it will be at a slower pace then normal because of the economy.
Because I know whats coming, and you don't.....

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Christopher, why don't you go with a leased MANAGED server (or two or three)?
We SERIOUSLY thought about it.

But Harris Publications has already made the investment in bringing in Fiber Optics to the corporate servers, (of which there are a good dozen) and that makes the cost of hosting prohibitive vs. owning the hardware ourself onsite.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
because someone else would be in control of it, am I right Christopher
No, not at all.
I have and do now, use leased systems at a ISP.
I have NO problem at all with that!

It just doesn't make good financial sense given our current situation.

Harris has made a serious investment in their infrastructure and it would be a waste not to take advantage of everything that is already in place.

What they are lacking are some really high speed servers though. And while this is what I WANT (and expect we are going to need) it by no means is what I am going to get!

03rmking

Premium Member
Mar 4, 2004
Spokane, WA
www.509films.com
So if Harris doesn't have the budget for $30k servers, will there be no fix to the load issues? It would seem obvious to me, that infrastructure or not, Harris would want a functioning website and option #2 is more within their budget at the moment.

I know nothing about the current server setup, does Harris have a legit datacenter with redundant backup power, cooling, security, 24 hour onsite monitoring? I would guess no, where-as a managed leased server has all that and isn't $30k and IS a heck of alot faster than the current setup.

A
Jul 5, 2001
Lewiston, ID
I just am wondering to myself why everyone is hackling christopher and complaining about a free site that all of us use (and some take advantage of) to talk sleds and sell parts.. Show some respect maybe ? Im sure hes doing everything in his power to get things worked out... If the servers down, or snowest is being slow, pry yourself away from the computer and go hangout with your kids, wife, girlfriend, or whatever else makes u happy.

OR, if it bugs you so much about the speed and errors, why not make a donation to snowest to go towards that new server they are looking to get...Everyone can complain, but why will no one take action ?

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
Because I know whats coming, and you don't.....

My frustration is just this. You know/knew what your intended future for Snowest is.......you should have been aware of your hardware requirements?

It would be like a framer showing up to the job site and showing off his shiny new tools and special shiny nails...but no lumber to build the house with? WTF?

I will do my best to lay off and give you some breathing room Christopher. As I said before you have taken everything in stride. In the end you are going to do what you want with the site and as always we will adjust. :beer; :beer; :beer;

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Thanks.
I appreciate the breathing room.

I know the transition is a major PAIN IN THE BUTT for many of the members here. But we will eventually get where we are going, and I still have a strong sense that you WILL like the end result.

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
No Not that at all. I work in IT and web design I know how long it takes to do things.
Plus I am on here after I get off at 12 pm and I see christopher on here. He is too busy to hardly post his own questions sometime.
Give credit where credit is due. He is doing a heck of a job.

this forum is a bundled forum software package, plug n play, the ads are simple simple images with a hidden hyperlink......a 7 year old blind kid could run this site in his sleep

You folks want credit?.......make this "sled" site more "sled" related:beer;

and dont get me started on out new worold order of IT guys....i make .bat files that make em read up and figure out how a puter really works

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
I just am wondering to myself why everyone is hackling christopher and complaining about a free site that all of us use (and some take advantage of) to talk sleds and sell parts.. Show some respect maybe ? Im sure hes doing everything in his power to get things worked out... If the servers down, or snowest is being slow, pry yourself away from the computer and go hangout with your kids, wife, girlfriend, or whatever else makes u happy.

OR, if it bugs you so much about the speed and errors, why not make a donation to snowest to go towards that new server they are looking to get...Everyone can complain, but why will no one take action ?

Amen.

Some of you guys act like a bunch of 5 year olds, show a little respect. I can't believe he hasn't told any of you to f-off. None of you even know him and you're bashing him for trying to do his job.

A
Aug 7, 2009
Berthoud Colorado
this forum is a bundled forum software package, plug n play, the ads are simple simple images with a hidden hyperlink......a 7 year old blind kid could run this site in his sleep

You folks want credit?.......make this "sled" site more "sled" related:beer;

and dont get me started on out new worold order of IT guys....i make .bat files that make em read up and figure out how a puter really works

I am sorry that you are frustrated. If there is anything that I can do to help you please feel free to PM me. I will do my best to help you.

Even though a software package comes plug N play that does not mean that you do not have to do maintenance on it. Just like anything to make it better you have to tweak it from time to time.

Last edited:
M
Nov 26, 2007
MI
Amen.

Some of you guys act like a bunch of 5 year olds, show a little respect. I can't believe he hasn't told any of you to f-off. None of you even know him and you're bashing him for trying to do his job.

We are all entitled to our opinion just like you Shorty. A little constructive criticism or user feedback isn't a bad thing unless you get bench out of shape and start viewing other as 5 year olds ;)

Premium Features