• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ecu smoked

M
Mar 18, 2011
Manitoba
Changed bar warmers & mistakenly crossed wires on brake side. Headlights popped, gauge went all crazy & ecu smoked. Cluster gave knock code & coil code. Found main ground broken off & changed regulator with a used one. Started it up & no gauges & ecu still smokes. Haven't replaced bulbs yet. Unhooked bar warmers & still ecu smoked. Any ideas?

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
I have a good spare ecu if you need one. It's an '08 with the '09 update in it. Sounds like a direct short somewhere.

Bozarth

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 15, 2008
Eureka MT
Does it blow any of the fuses. Mine started blowing the fuse for the power port, guage and the taillight. I rode it one day with no problems, the next day I started it and I noticed the taillight and guage wasn't working. It turned out that the ecu had an internal short. Replaced the ecu and all was good. This was on my 2015 M8000. I also inspected all of the wiring for shorts and found nothing. Just a fluke internal ecu failure! I would say crossing those wires shorted your ecu. If there was smoke coming out of the ucu it is no good.

Premium Features