• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Why are some 900's still going

SJORMK7

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Hayden Idaho
I have always followed the 900 group with amazement and interest. It seems like I can always find $2000.00 dollar 05 900's out there with an average of 1100 to 2900 miles on them. Most claim to be in "Good" shape, have the recalls done,and are running SLP pipe,air box, vents etc etc, and the owners claim they have never had a problem. So here is the question why have these survived and so many others died? It seems like These survivors should be the good ones?

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
It takes a special person to master the 900. You can look at all the people that own and still ride their 9's and bow down to them as they have the smarts and a fat wallet to keep them going. The 900 will live on for a while. Once you get on one you will never want to get off because the whole time you are riding you are getting off..... bahahahahaha.

SJORMK7

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Hayden Idaho
Thats some funny comments, I guess its like any sled some always run great some barely run at all. They are tempting to buy considering what they come with.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
I just love that my P.O.S. 900 has 5K miles on it now and it still keeps up with the new iron just fine! That's half the reason I keep riding it, just to show that they can run, and also because I just love the way the sled makes power:face-icon-small-hap

R

rmk8001

Oct 27, 2008
love my 900 151. also love watching everyone else get stuck on those deep heavy days

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
Never had any real problems with any of them I've had other than out of balance clutches from the factory. Balance the clutch and maintain it and they work just fine. I still have 3, but I plan to sell one with the TM3 billet crank.

Ski-Dont89

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2010
WYOMING
I just love that my P.O.S. 900 has 5K miles on it now and it still keeps up with the new iron just fine! That's half the reason I keep riding it, just to show that they can run, and also because I just love the way the sled makes power:face-icon-small-hap

Thats impressive. stock motor? top end work?

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Thats impressive. stock motor? top end work?

It was rebuilt before I bought it at 2100 miles due to a rod bearing failure. I rebuilt it again last fall at 4800 miles for preventative maintainence since it had very close to 3K miles on it since I got it. Since this rebuild I've only got a couple hundred miles on it, but again it's been bulletproof! :face-icon-small-hap Yes, the motor is still stock with only some '06 updates.

Last edited:

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
At 160 hp with the SLP pipe on the 05 900 RMK and even more on the 06 900 that's a powerful sled. Put it on a weight loss program and its a capable machine that will hang in there with most sleds. There are good and bad ones just like a car or truck that's in the shop all the time.

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
It only took Ski Doo 9 years to engineer something to compete. And it has no torque..
Imagine "what if " Polaris had talked with Indy Dan etc...
Read Up !! Ask questions.. and amaze your friends with "old iron" get one!

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
It only took Ski Doo 9 years to engineer something to compete. And it has no torque..
Imagine "what if " Polaris had talked with Indy Dan etc...
Read Up !! Ask questions.. and amaze your friends with "old iron" get one!

Funny thing about that no torque comment. I test rode all the new sleds and skidoo was the only one that I could feel any torque on. The Cat and Polaris may have it but you can't tell, their new sleds feel like zero torque next to my 900's

D
Can anyone direct me to a good thread or video showing how to set my steering toe in/out and camber correctly? I had the wrong lower right a arm (from an 07 dragon I think), on my 05 900 for a few years and I had tweaked the steering and camber to where it was rideable, but I just put the right one on and I'm not sure how to get it back to normal. I live in Tahoe and we haven't had any snow for almost 4 years now, so I'm a little rusty...

Cheers!

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
Funny thing about that no torque comment. I test rode all the new sleds and skidoo was the only one that I could feel any torque on. The Cat and Polaris may have it but you can't tell, their new sleds feel like zero torque next to my 900's

Sure it wasn't gearing? Nothing feels like a 9 hundo though.

G
Jan 20, 2016
05 900

I'm riding a 05 RMK900 with all the updates and so far with 1800 miles on her she hasn't had an issue. Its stock other then the radiator removal. Love the torque on it though. I'm swapping out the crappy spindles to a set of 2010 dragon spindles and gonna narrow it with a 39" A-Arm Kit soon so she should be able to side hill a bit easier. As of right now it's a bear to tip on its side on a side hill.

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
Black Dragon 900

I ride every sled I can. Seems like the new ones have less HP than a TX 440.

My sled always gets attention, and is a HP beast. I turn it 8200.

And it is a great looking sled --

picture.php

Premium Features