• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo kit component thread

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
C

constech

Dec 31, 2010
Payson, UT
Actually MPI no longer makes a stans alone unit, they are counting on their remapping of the ECU to correct issues, however they are never going to get to it. I do not want to spend the $1500 I need something for less any ideas?

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
Actually MPI no longer makes a stans alone unit, they are counting on their remapping of the ECU to correct issues, however they are never going to get to it. I do not want to spend the $1500 I need something for less any ideas?

you have to ask yourself if you spend 6-800$ on some other box that is not proven & be where you are now or spend the 1500$ for something that is proven . i guaranty that neil will get your sled running so this is all you do:face-icon-small-hap:bounce:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
FYI guys, the stock Nytro has an accel pump type feature in it that will put the thing in the 10's for afr stock when you "brap" the throttle around like a 2 stroke. throw a turbo on top of it and this spot gets bad enough that the thing will stutter for sure. The GEMS can only add fuel so there is no way with this setup besides dropping fuel pressure to get anywhere to great.

Mac at MPI knows this and the ecu reflash makes it run way better by getting the factory ecu to NOT load the motor up. and yes, it works, considering they do all of the yamaha turbo kits now.. i think they ordered like 300+ controllers for this season, so they got a lot of time on the snow.

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
FYI guys, the stock Nytro has an accel pump type feature in it that will put the thing in the 10's for afr stock when you "brap" the throttle around like a 2 stroke. throw a turbo on top of it and this spot gets bad enough that the thing will stutter for sure. The GEMS can only add fuel so there is no way with this setup besides dropping fuel pressure to get anywhere to great.

Mac at MPI knows this and the ecu reflash makes it run way better by getting the factory ecu to NOT load the motor up. and yes, it works, considering they do all of the yamaha turbo kits now.. i think they ordered like 300+ controllers for this season, so they got a lot of time on the snow.
The accell feature is the exact reason we do not use the factory injector signal to signal our XIC. The midrange on our Yamaha controllers is crisp and clean at any boost. Tree riding is the true test and we have no issues with loading in the mid.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
The accell feature is the exact reason we do not use the factory injector signal to signal our XIC.

so..... how do you deal with the factory ecu loading up the motor. doesnt matter how you tap on for your rpm signal. its still doing it. ive seen total stockers do it!

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
The accell feature is the exact reason we do not use the factory injector signal to signal our XIC.

so..... how do you deal with the factory ecu loading up the motor. doesnt matter how you tap on for your rpm signal. its still doing it. ive seen total stockers do it!

and why would pulling from an RPM wire vs the injector change anything?

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.

and why would pulling from an RPM wire vs the injector change anything?
We lower the fuel pressure to combat the effects of a restricted intake and exhaust at idle to make them run clean at the bottom. If we were to use a factory injector wire signal it would also accell our extra injectors so we do not use it for an injector trigger. We don't use a factory tach wire either. We use a coil signal wire. Our XIC has the availability to convert almost any signal and convert it to a useable tach signal. Our XIC actually displays RPM. In fact is does a lot of things that most people have no idea about and that is why we can use it to fuel almost anything.

T

TurboM700

Nov 26, 2007
St. Anthony MN
How well does your controller work on low boost. Stock motor under 10psi at sea level-10k.

I'm building a simple (pump gas, rear mount) kit for say and I like your controller I'm just having a hard time swallowing the 1500 for a controller when I only have a grand into it so far.

Not saying I wont spend the money on a quality product just wondering how it works.

Thanks
Mike

T

TurboM700

Nov 26, 2007
St. Anthony MN
How well does your controller work on low boost. Stock motor under 10psi at sea level-10k.

I'm building a simple (pump gas, rear mount) kit for say and I like your controller I'm just having a hard time swallowing the 1500 for a controller when I only have a grand into it so far.

Not saying I wont spend the money on a quality product just wondering how it works.

Thanks
Mike

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.

Thanks
Mike
It is not just a controller but a complete fuel system with extra injectors. You leave your stock system completely as it is and our system adds fuel as you need it for boost. The map sensor in the controller senses boost and fuels accordingly. You will also need to add a fuel pressure regulator so fuel pressure can be lowered.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
If we were to use a factory injector wire signal it would also accell our extra injectors so we do not use it for an injector trigger. We don't use a factory tach wire either. We use a coil signal wire.

that is what i dont get, i wasnt aware the XIC was able to sense "load" or pulse width, just pull a rpm reference out of the signal, be it an injector signal, or any other square wave for that matter. so regardless of your rpm trigger you should be getting boost fuel based solely on rpm and boost psi. If you were doing load based fueling then YES hooking to the stock injector signal would just amplify the problem every time you hit the accel feature.

Im not trying to hassle you i am just unaware of all of the features of your controller. I am used to working with dobeck stuff and have seen and utilized a lot of features most people would have no idea about. Im trying to help those who like the tech knowledge to have the info available on the open forum to read up on and have a better comparision of what the controllers CAN do, not what most people use them to do. As you said, lots of stuff most have no idea about.

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
that is what i dont get, i wasnt aware the XIC was able to sense "load" or pulse width, just pull a rpm reference out of the signal, be it an injector signal, or any other square wave for that matter. so regardless of your rpm trigger you should be getting boost fuel based solely on rpm and boost psi. If you were doing load based fueling then YES hooking to the stock injector signal would just amplify the problem every time you hit the accel feature.

Im not trying to hassle you i am just unaware of all of the features of your controller. I am used to working with dobeck stuff and have seen and utilized a lot of features most people would have no idea about. Im trying to help those who like the tech knowledge to have the info available on the open forum to read up on and have a better comparision of what the controllers CAN do, not what most people use them to do. As you said, lots of stuff most have no idea about.
It's no biggie...no one truly understands how we inject fuel with this controller aside from my engineer and myself.
We can inject fuel based on rpm only or both rpm and boost. it is also TPS sensing on the 4 strokes for fuel start/stop vs throttle position.
Here are just a few other features:
-datalogging 02
-fuel trim every 250 rpm 3-12000
-either select fuel start time or set to Baro and fueling will start at exactly 3 psi no matter what elevation
-1-4 injectors can be used
-tachpulse selection so tach signal can be used from a variety of sources
-electronic boost control (standard on our pro turbo kit)
- main fuel setting to trim entire map for fast tuning
-switch power for relay to activate secondary pump, nos, meth, etc.

These are just a few things that the XIC does and it is all done right on the XIC screen. I have taken a controller off of a 2 stroke and had it running on a 4 stroke right on the hill. It takes me about 2 minutes to download all of the settings.
Who wants a complete standalone system that you can program with a small plug in interface? You could control timing, fueling, engine management, rev limiter, etc. right on the hill.
We have the capability to do it, but don't really see the need to mess with what the OEM's did. We just want to supplement fuel when and how much.

To this day i have not seen a sled with timing control run better than a sled with stock timing.

T

tjc

Jan 8, 2008
now that winter is winding down, anyone care to get into headers and exhaust?

This was a great thread.

Premium Features