• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Which gopro is best for sledding?

B
Jan 19, 2012
I'm looking to buy a gopro to mount on my helmet but there are so many different kinds between the hero 2's and 3's (outdoor, motorsports, helmet hero, white, silver) i was just wondering if anyone knew which model of the gopro is best for sledding? Thanks

Posted from Snowestonline.com App for Android

W

wag13

Jun 22, 2008
Spearfish,SD
I'm looking to buy a gopro to mount on my helmet but there are so many different kinds between the hero 2's and 3's (outdoor, motorsports, helmet hero, white, silver) i was just wondering if anyone knew which model of the gopro is best for sledding? Thanks

Posted from Snowestonline.com App for Android

Go Hero 3 for sure. As of right now they are still same price as the 2's if not then they are not much more. Get the Silver edition. The silver edition is $300 it comes with camera, and remote, also has the built in bluetooth set up. Meaning if you have an iphone you can download the GoPro app and set it up so you can view what your camera does in real time off your phone screen, also you can change camera settings from your phone too (1080P,720P, etc.) as for editions it is simply your choice, if you read on them they just come with a couple different mounts for each edition. Spend the extra coin for the 3 silver edition and you'll never look back on the decision.

D
Nov 30, 2007
Hero 3

I just bought a hero 3 black....latest and greatest...for now.
I had a hero 2 with wifi and was using it with my iphone and it works great. Any gopro is good for sledding and you won't go wrong with any of the 3 hero 3's.....white, silver or black.
Hero 2's used the reguar SD card while the new hero 3's use the micro cards....

B

Bowfisher

Sep 16, 2011
American Falls ID
Go Hero 3 for sure. As of right now they are still same price as the 2's if not then they are not much more. Get the Silver edition. The silver edition is $300 it comes with camera, and remote, also has the built in bluetooth set up. Meaning if you have an iphone you can download the GoPro app and set it up so you can view what your camera does in real time off your phone screen, also you can change camera settings from your phone too (1080P,720P, etc.) as for editions it is simply your choice, if you read on them they just come with a couple different mounts for each edition. Spend the extra coin for the 3 silver edition and you'll never look back on the decision.

The black edition is the only one that includes the wifi remote. It also has a better/higher MP sensor and allows higher resolution videos and still and for higher frame rates at all resolutions. It shoots still at 30 fps bursts. In general it is the better camera and if you figure in the $80 that the wifi remote would cost you its a bargin compared to the silver. As far as the motorsports, outdoors, surf edition goes I think that was a Hero 2 thing, and that just changes what mounts the camera came with, at least I haven't seen the different editions in the Hero 3 lineup yet. One thing to note is the wifi phone app isn't functional with the black edition camera yet. When I bought mine they said it would be availible on December 14th but it looks like in typical gopro fashion they have pushed that back to a vague winter 2012/2013 date.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
With the Gopro 3, can you mount it on say the handlebars rather than your helmet, would it allow you to do that?

Thanks in advance!

they sell a handlebar mount, I think the vibration could be an issue in pic quality.chest mounting on backpack strap will be protected and steady, But i,m new at the Go Pro, Would like some veterans thoughts.

rmkboy38

Lifetime Membership
Feb 24, 2008
ME
Contour?

You might want to look at the Contour cameras. I have the GPS version that I got last saeson. The new +2 has Bluetooth so you can use your Iphone, Ipad or Android phone to preview your view & the latest Contour Connect View app allows you to use your phone or device as a remote control to start & stop recording. Friends that have GoPro's seem like they are forever asking if this light is on or not. The Contour has a power button on the back & once it's powered up you just side the switch on top of camera forward to start recording or back to stop plus it has beeps to let you know it's working. Contour also like Gopro has a ton of mounting options too. I'm using the 360 Helmet mount which is rock solid & allows you the option of mounting it forward or backwards on top or side of helmet. The lens of the camera rotates 270 degrees so you can mount the camera upright or flat if you like & also less apt to catch a branch if you like to ride in trees or woods. Another nice feature is mounting on LH side of helmet, then you don't have to take your hand of the throtle to monkey with camera. Contour also has GPS which I don't use much, tends to kill batteries quickly. Good luck

H
Nov 24, 2012
gopro

honestly, you cant tell a difference in video qualitys between a first and 3rd gen. and ive never had a problem with vibrations, even in my racecar which is the worst of them all.. :face-icon-small-ton

Premium Features