• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RK TeK 860 Big Bore Kit

C

CBX

Jan 21, 2008
Here is video from Cooke this weekend. Temps were somewhat colder and guess what...the colder it got the better the engine ran. Running 460's and 2.5 gallons of av gas per tank.

Listen around the 2:20 mark.....engine sounds like it has a turbo on it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l79TZJZKYA&list=UUtSneQpt0WM5daFRlXESquw&index=1&feature=plcp

C'mon guys. You were literally on the throttle for only 10 seconds up the biggest climb in your video. And no your sled doesn't sound like it has a turbo.

Of course it was still accelerating. You can't travel that far in 10 seconds.

Back to talking about how n/a sleds run with the turbos.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
lol, good humor thou

C'mon guys. You were literally on the throttle for only 10 seconds up the biggest climb in your video. And no your sled doesn't sound like it has a turbo.

Of course it was still accelerating. You can't travel that far in 10 seconds.

Back to talking about how n/a sleds run with the turbos.

stonehands1

Lifetime Membership
Jul 26, 2010
Mt. Baker
F

frog

Feb 16, 2009
MN
keep in mind if you do the boyseen reeds, i was rich by a margin in the middle... 10 thou shim 07 needles, mid position 460 mains on 42.5mm carbs stock pilots worked the best in the 880 case...added a few degrees of timing and egts stay well in check

I realize that your engine set-up has been on the snow for a while so dont take offense to this but just to warn others that yes, timing will help lower egt's but does not eliminate the heat that the combustion process is making. Adding timing causes the heat to be absorbed by the piston instead of being expelled out the ex. Port. This helps with power output but can be misleading when tuning while watching your gauges. Just remember if your engine begins to detonate the egt's will drop. Timing can be a good thing but may be misleading when tuning if too much timing is in use.

Back on topic, follow Kelsey's instructions and lower jetting with his head compared to stock is normal.

jay cooper

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2011
coop

It would be just CRAZY TALK to listen to the manufacturer/designer of the kit (who puts 3,000 miles on the kit ever year) and set it up per those instructions...

That would just be NUTS!!

That 860 will run like a bucket of ***** with 500 mains!! Stockers will run circles around it set up like that..

Really.. What is so hard about setting it up correctly.. (100% , not partial..correct)??? You have all the details.. Just follow them and enjoy the kit.. Second guessing the instructions will only ruin your season with a poor running sled.
guess you dont run a trystad 860 because i have 3 of them and they all run great with 490 to 500 with good wash on the pistons and i run all over wyoming from 4500' to 12000' dont change a thing and some of this motors 7500 miles on them and still run increable!

T
Jan 3, 2012
Missoula
Observations in performance vs. elevation

We went down to Jackson this weekend and went up mosquito creek. Wow! That place was just as good as Crested Butte and way less tracked out than Cooke City. I noticed I did run a little rich above 7000 ft. Around Missoula, its not that often one finds himself above 7000 for very long. Anyway, the thing is running great. WTF is up with Jackson only selling ethanol gas? That pissed me off. I ended up running 4 gallons of AV gas per tank of ethanol fuel just for safety. That will really empty your wallet quick. BTW I out climbed my friends ETEC again.

Good stuff..

Sounds like the engine is running well.. I think you are still a bit rich on the main jet.. But, leave it where it is at because it is still getting the job done..

Love to see vids of a sled that is going faster as it ascends hills vs. slower (like stockers and ??:face-icon-small-coo)

If I remember correctly, you struggled with the 860 for a whole season because you had "other" "Super" set ups installed than were recommended in my set-up sheet.. Once you set it up to the supplied recs.. it has been "ON" ever since..

I rode mine for the 1st time this year since last season and absolutely fell in love with it again,, Been riding the new Pro and Pro-Climb all season.. Need to get that 860 power in these new sleds.. .. working on that for next weekend on at least one of them..

Thanks for sharing

Kelsey

JFI 572 It is a 154 with 2 1/2" camoplast. primary is 160/320. 433 Ramps 23.5 grams pin weight. Secondary is stock 43/47 Helix. Stock Spring. 21/45 Gearing. This is exactly what Kelsey has recommended for a clutch setup. I am able to pull this in clicker 1 where there is no backshift so as I climb a hill my RPM's start to fall off. Kelsey says it is not shifting out because there is no way that it should pull that much pin weight. should only pull between 17 - 18 grams pin weight. Any help is much appreciated. If you have any ideas, you can even give me a call at 605-391-7794. Brent

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
JFI 572 It is a 154 with 2 1/2" camoplast. primary is 160/320. 433 Ramps 23.5 grams pin weight. Secondary is stock 43/47 Helix. Stock Spring. 21/45 Gearing. This is exactly what Kelsey has recommended for a clutch setup. I am able to pull this in clicker 1 where there is no backshift so as I climb a hill my RPM's start to fall off. Kelsey says it is not shifting out because there is no way that it should pull that much pin weight. should only pull between 17 - 18 grams pin weight. Any help is much appreciated. If you have any ideas, you can even give me a call at 605-391-7794. Brent

Get rid of that helix!

F

frog

Feb 16, 2009
MN
guess you dont run a trystad 860 because i have 3 of them and they all run great with 490 to 500 with good wash on the pistons and i run all over wyoming from 4500' to 12000' dont change a thing and some of this motors 7500 miles on them and still run increable!

Why would he? He builds his own.

F

frog

Feb 16, 2009
MN

That pin weight is ok with the 433's but at what elevation? Sea level maybe but not above that. The helix is killing you, try a 46-42. I would try 18 g pin weight 46-42 keep the springs the same and click 3 and see what happens. I am not a clutching guru but just throwing out a possible solution based off of what you are getting with what you got.

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
Dynamo Joe.........he will sell you the helix seperately, that you need. Or get the whole kit from Joe or Rooster! Quit wasting time, winter is too short!

stonehands1

Lifetime Membership
Jul 26, 2010
Mt. Baker
I'm not a fan of the 433's. 441 are my favorite for big bores. 413 are better for higher elevation. Clicker 2 pulls the best and still back shift some. I like the 46-42 suggestion. Reverse helix's are for turbos in my opinion. Stock rear spring. 160-320 or 380. Not sure what rk 860 can pull for weight but 17-18 should be close with 441 ramps.

M

mtnjunkie

Mar 2, 2008
People still use 441s in the mountains? I have never liked them, with any setup, and I've tried several.

T
Jan 3, 2012
Missoula
Followed the Prescribed Directions and it WORKS!!!

So I put the 460's in and it fricken rocks! I am hitting my RPM's exactly. My only bitch is that the thing burns a **** ton of gas. Does everyone have this problem. Mine will run out while the stock sleds have 1/4 tank left. It doesn't matter. The sled has balls. Lots of them. Nic

It would be just CRAZY TALK to listen to the manufacturer/designer of the kit (who puts 3,000 miles on the kit ever year) and set it up per those instructions...

That would just be NUTS!!

That 860 will run like a bucket of ***** with 500 mains!! Stockers will run circles around it set up like that..

Really.. What is so hard about setting it up correctly.. (100% , not partial..correct)??? You have all the details.. Just follow them and enjoy the kit.. Second guessing the instructions will only ruin your season with a poor running sled.

stonehands1

Lifetime Membership
Jul 26, 2010
Mt. Baker
People still use 441s in the mountains? I have never liked them, with any setup, and I've tried several.

I find the 441 to pull much harder in the mid range and top of the shift. With my 860 it loads the motor more which is what my bb needs. I also only ride from 4-7k alt. if I was riding above 7 then 413 would probably be better.

Have ridden a rktek 800 with his clutching with 433 ramps and got beat by a stock 800 sled. Not bashing, just saying. Where we ride 433 just don't shift fast enough to make the sled fun to ride. At 9k I'm sure there fine but at 5k their soft.

My ported 800 likes 413 better than 441. Crazy how 60cc's will pull so much more weight.

Backcountrypro

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Good to hear you got it running good Nic! 460's.....kinda blows the theory that you have to jet up to make HP right out of the water........

Premium Features