• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dealer reaction to the 2013 summit.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
The next person that says that you can't sidehill an XP is gonna be told to go cook my dinner and wash my socks, cause obviously that's all that they have the ability to do.

Hope you don't mind reds in with whites because I hate the xp. I've owned every year of rev but the xp was the final straw for me. I even thought the revs sidehilled easy until You get off a m sled and jump back on the rev. The 12 xp is 10 times better than the 08 but they still don't sh!t hole like a pro. The earlier xp's always wanted to right themselves back and when countersteering they feel like there is always ski pressure, even compared to the rev.Lay them on there side to go across something and they want to turn uphill. Doo's climb awesome and the power is awesome but the 12 felt a touch nose heavy when not on the gas. I stand by my statement that something is wrong when you narrow a chassis 3 inches narrower than the competition and I still don't think they sidehill as good. Too much weight too far forward for my liking. I think it is the combination of that and the 16 wide track. If they sidehilled so awesome then what is with the narrow stance, flex track and the flex in the suspension. Why was it needed? Heck fred was on the poo forum talking about how unstable the 13 pro was going to be but the new 13 doo is working aweome and he hasn't even rode one yet. Brand loyalty is the stupidest thing and I've had more doo's than anything. I won't say yah or ney until I've rode one but it looks like they are heading in the right direction. It will take a lot to get me off the underpowered pro. Maybe it's here.

dustin pancheri

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2008
Dustin, can you elaborate on what you meant by "they weren't trying to make it a Pro"? Mostly i'm curious if your impression of the XM (so far) is enough to make it your number one choice for riding on a day to day basis. Assuming you like techincal type riding and Poo's from your comments, then i'm wondering if the changes are impactful enough in it design evolution, or if they left things on the table that could've made it better for the techincal rider, and not sacrifice its climbing abilities?

This is exactly the type of question that really should be asked. Problem is, it depends on what you want out of the sled. Yes, I am a technical rider, and I love the way the Pro hangles in that respect. For me, I need to use the least amount of energy possible because lets face it, I am not in as good of shape as these guys that ride 4 days a week. Get unstuck 4 or 5 times and then your really tired @ 9000 foot. So the less energy I use the better.

The Xm takes less energy then the XP and that is the main reason I feel it is much better than the XP. How much energy does it take compared to the Pro? Well, less in some ways, but more in other ways. I didn't care for the Ski's on the XP, but the new XM ski is much better.....about equal to the Pro ski. I prefer the handle bars of the Xm over the Pro, but I like the Pro steering angle better than the Xm. The Xm takes less effort to steer than the Pro. The new track hooks better than the XP or the Pro except maybe in harder snow on a side hill......still need more time to really tell if the track on the XM bites into the hard snow, or rolls over and slides down so I will wait to form an opinion here. The 2.5 XM track flat out hooks in the deep stuff.....I really like it. The Pro track may not hook quite as good, but it gets on top quickly.

The Xm motor held RPM well, and was very stable over a wide range of conditions and elevations. The pro was a little more variable. I think the Pro transfer's the power to the ground better than any sled out there, but the XM makes awesome power so it pulls really hard. Yes, I know what they all make for power, but I am not going to go there so don't even ask.

Handling.....Ski-Doo doesn't want to alienate their loyal customers who may prefer the more planted, stable feel. They did say that they wanted to make the XM more appealing to a wider audience, and reduce the amount of energy it takes to maneuver the sled. I think they accomplished that. The machine still has a "Ski-Doo" feel to a point......the center of gravity is still very low and you can feel it in the front end a bit. But it is easier to overcome that CG and redirect the momentum of the mach if needs be. It is more predictable for me now, and that is a big deal..."what is the sled going to do over this opsticle". It makes me more confident in my riding ability.

The 2012 Cat kind of fits in the middle.....I like it as well....great motor, love the adjustable bars, but the steering needs more ratio as well as more front end traction. The Powder Claw is an awesome track and is very predictable. The running boards need more traction and could be a tad longer. Of course, I am 6'3" tall so that may not hold true for some. Suspension is good and over all a great sled.

So what it really comes down to is these sleds are close.......the best pickens we have ever had. What would I buy? I honestly don't know. It would come down to a couple things:

Dealer-Which has the best service and will be there for me if I have problems or need parts. Hours of operation, knowledgeable techs, parts guys and do the people actually ride?

Warranty- how long is it, what does it cover and how do they feel about me customizing it to my preferences or modifying it?

Style- What style works for you as a rider? DO you like a more planted feel or do you want it tippy. This is a personally preference.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
There will be 2 track choices on the XM....soft or hard....Dustin, do you know which track was on the sled you demo'd?

A

AlpineSMB

Oct 15, 2008
Now what about slapping the new TMotion suspension on a 12 XP? Was at the local dealer yesterday seeing what kind of deals can be had on leftover '12s and what kind of prices are avail on snow checking a 13. when he mentioned that the new TMotion suspension would fit on the newer XPs and only would be about 3-350.00. Rails and track would stay, now I know it wouldn't make a '12 100% handle like a '13 w/o the Flex track upgrade and you wouldn't get the upgraded boards, but the price is tempting to make it closer to '13 handling w/o the entire cost. FYI I'm on a 04 Rev right now
Thoughts??

F

fassteddie

Nov 27, 2007
renton wa.
thanks dustin. i have herd good feedback from my dealer i-90 motorsports, tom and remko spent two days in revy/sici, we as customers ride them feb 29-mar 3. so i am sure there will be some more reviews. as far as guys not getting invited to demo. try calling your dealer maybe they can help get u a ride.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Now what about slapping the new TMotion suspension on a 12 XP? Was at the local dealer yesterday seeing what kind of deals can be had on leftover '12s and what kind of prices are avail on snow checking a 13. when he mentioned that the new TMotion suspension would fit on the newer XPs and only would be about 3-350.00. Rails and track would stay, now I know it wouldn't make a '12 100% handle like a '13 w/o the Flex track upgrade and you wouldn't get the upgraded boards, but the price is tempting to make it closer to '13 handling w/o the entire cost. FYI I'm on a 04 Rev right now
Thoughts??

The rails are different on the '12 vs prior years. I think they are a big part of the handling difference with the shallower approach and rear scissor location. Are they SURE the old rails will work?

A

AlpineSMB

Oct 15, 2008
not 100% but they seemed to think at least on the 12 it should retro fit along with running the wheels on the inboard side

V
Jan 3, 2008
Eastern Wshington
Well, guess I'll have to pick one up...all the dealers say it's great, friggen awesome so it must be! :rockon:

But seriously, why don't they put out a video with a bunch of non biased riders like Dustin? That would sell me quick.

I'm on a 2010 XP now (no problem side hilling / maneuvering) and considering my next machine...been thinking my choices were between Poo and Cat but the XM has my curiosity aroused. Sounds promising and will have to demo one if I can.

Hope it's as good as the dealers say!

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I think EVERYONE is somewhat biased....anyone that has ridden for a long time and pushes themselves and the machine will have their own "style" (for lack of a better word) and will lean towards the machine that fits THEIR style....the next guy who grew up riding a different brand will have a different "style" and a different interpretation of what a good mountain sled should be.
Heck, sledders can't even agree on what track width is the best, or what seat or handlebar height a sled should have....there will NEVER be a concensus on what sled is better. We have even argued over NGK or Champion plugs for the last 12 years!! :face-icon-small-hap

G
Jan 18, 2012
http://www.youtube.com/embed/t6zEZWJQbWQ?rel=0

I'm really starting to warm up to this sled.

Im a 2012 Cat owner... curious as to what you guys think of your summit honestly.. how steardy is it.. i RIDE MY SLED HAAARRRDDD! everysled i ride i ride hardd harder than most i wanna kno about durability.. know about sidehilling..TILTING REAR SUSPENSION.... does anyone see how that can throw you out of a sidehill I CANN... jw u skidoo lovers thoughts.:face-icon-small-coo

Premium Features