• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

860 bb tuning

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
The all mighty tuner is the one you buy the kit from. BJ explicitly claims gas n go pump gas motors.

BJ Quotes

...jetting comes with kit, clutching recomendations including or I recomend the shock wave adj. helix...I can make it run on any fuel...just shipped one to canada with 12.6-1 compression instead of the std. low elevation 13-1...the 172 hp is stock exhaust and trail jetting...have the 2009-10 update done and I recomend the v-force reeds for the trail

The 860 jetting is the most consistant of all my BB kits..BJ

Its not the actual computer causing problems..its the water temp (the 860 makes more heat) and trying to run 13-1 comp (that worked just fine last on years fuel) on this years obviously ?? fuel...hence the change in actual compression ratio...plus the engine ice did more than anything to keep running temps in the "normal" or "full power" ecm mode...BJ

These definately sound like gas n go proven engines

Sound good to me!
Could you take Canada off of your page....your making us look bad.

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Good read,
Dex sorry for your loss. After the pix it is clear as WinterBrew said your prob having deto.
The bashing is always lame and old. But the talk about fuel and jetting has me wanting to reply. An engine builder-tuner-dyno guy what ever can jet down and make ??? Hp on a dyno or be fast at 660 but the heat you guys make I have to thing you need to tune for being heat soaked. So how can you port and add 60cc and think you can run stock jetting 480mj and hope pump gas is good. Running more octane then needed will make less hp but once heat soaked it will not preignite as easy. As for jetting down you can run leaner with higher octane . I know everyone knows all of this but not everyone does it.
modding a 2 strock and tuning it to the edge is not that easy and besides some dont mind to be a little rich and loaded , one thing for sure they run better with pistons in them.

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
Eg. If you were to change the pipe, you could experience both a rich or lean condition. And that was without changing the bore or porting.
If you were to change the bore or porting and keep the same pipe, you could experience a rich or lean condition.
If everything was changed....same.
Engines flow air. The faster the air past a jet port, the more fuel you will pull out of the jet.

P

Powderboy

Nov 1, 2001
Renton, WA
Just a heads up....don't rely on the deto sensor. I have rattled the plugs out of these and had audible detonation without the sensor going off. Seems it only goes off when it gets VERY bad.
Try throwing some race fuel at it and see if things change.

I have a bb that is running poorly and throwing the check engine and the det sensor. Would av gas help or would you need to go full race fuel?

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I have a bb that is running poorly and throwing the check engine and the det sensor. Would av gas help or would you need to go full race fuel?

most dont raise the needle enough and get lean mids.Thats a very general statement since you dont give any info of build

P

Powderboy

Nov 1, 2001
Renton, WA
most dont raise the needle enough and get lean mids.Thats a very general statement since you dont give any info of build

Its the turbo Al set up from revelstoke. Jaws twin pipes, 520 mains, I know he rasied the needles.Engine tech head, supossed to run on pump gas. 4-6000 ft riding area. I'm in over my head. I dont have the interest, experience or the time to chase the set up. Liklely I will sell it cheap and stick with buying new stockers every year. Winter brews comment about det sensor and fuel got my interest is why I asked.

Last edited:

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Its the turbo Al set up from revelstoke. Jaws twin pipes, 520 mains, I know he rasied the needles.Engine tech head, supossed to run on pump gas. 4-6000 ft riding area. I'm in over my head. I dont have the interest, experience or the time to chase the set up. Liklely I will sell it cheap and stick with buying new stockers every year. Winter brews comment about det sensor and fuel got my interest is why I asked.

The one thing that stands out is they have not made a standard 520 main jet for years. When the size reaches 520 they are sized by [ flow] not hole size. 500 and 540,s are actually hole size, You will likely find that the main says[520-N}.For instance by changing from 520 to 540 you are actually jetting down[leaner] due to this sizing and will throw a curve to most.Just something so ponder.with what you have you really need to be a tuner as you have already noticed.I suggest getting to the builder to re-tune as only he knows all the specifics in his build.too much going on

Last edited:
R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
If you throw in a gal. of av gas per 5 gal of pump you will eliminate the octane question or poor gas at your local station. If it still acts the same, it is somewhere else.

P

Powderboy

Nov 1, 2001
Renton, WA
The one thing that stands out is they have not made a standard 520 main jet for years. When the size reaches 520 they are sized by [ flow] not hole size. 500 and 540,s are actually hole size, You will likely find that the main says[520-N}.For instance by changing from 520 to 540 you are actually jetting down[leaner] due to this sizing and will throw a curve to most.Just something so ponder.with what you have you really need to be a tuner as you have already noticed.I suggest getting to the builder to re-tune as only he knows all the specifics in his build.too much going on

Thanks for the feedback. Possible my memory of the jet size is off.

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
setup on my 860:

carbs:
-bored
-490's
-stock everything else

Pipes:
-NPP twins

Intake:
-NPP

Primary:
-130/290
-21.4g
-custom ramps from Randy@ motor tech on #1

Secondary:
-stk 09. havent even opened it.
-have one of those torque arms too but on my last inspection it seems to have cracked near the top and broke through.

Gear:
-21/45
-15 wide chain

Engine Ice seems work good

More timing = good

pulls 7900-8000. looked down a few times last trip out and on a deep climb the speedo was 85 or so.

Running 50/50 87 and 114 and a splash of oil

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
setup on my 860:

carbs:
-bored
-490's
-stock everything else

Pipes:
-NPP twins

Intake:
-NPP

Primary:
-130/290
-21.4g
-custom ramps from Randy@ motor tech on #1

Secondary:
-stk 09. havent even opened it.
-have one of those torque arms too but on my last inspection it seems to have cracked near the top and broke through.

Gear:
-21/45
-15 wide chain

Engine Ice seems work good

More timing = good

pulls 7900-8000. looked down a few times last trip out and on a deep climb the speedo was 85 or so.

Running 50/50 87 and 114 and a splash of oil

85 huh?......Yea right

T
May 22, 2010
Kelowna BC

Mostly due to a mix of parts not specifically tested from one engine builder and tested and proven.

Seeing some of the comments makes me laugh and shake my head, funny how some will call asking for answers complaining about there kits, and then see them on here raving about there kits. too much bs.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
BJ, your motor was great here in AK. Jetting was the easiest thing that I had ever had to do. Solid motor solid support.

Premium Features