• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 M8 Bogging Badly in deep snow

B
Dec 21, 2007
I did put a Skinz super Q can on it...

Bogging like crazy on decent pow turns...pretty sure its mostly the exhaust because when I get it on its left side it frees up. Probably a combo of intakes being clogged with snow and exhaust as well...

Anyone know of a solution?? Sled absolutely rips otherwise. And granted the snow is waist to chest deep right now...

Tunnel dump exhaust? Different can? Seems the stock can doesn't have this issue nearly as bad

C
Feb 2, 2010
kootenays, bc
Oh crap!!!

This isn't what i wanted to read!!! I just put a super q on my M8!!!! So, far haven't expereinced that problem.....Keep me posted on that situation...

Thanks

dont worry youll be fine!!!! i ran one all of last year with no issues....even on the stupid deep days it was good....not quite chest deep though, im guessing it was dry snow too cause it was chilly last weekend. seal the gap and pull the trigger....

T
Nov 26, 2007
coeur dalene, idaho
i have found my stocker in deep snow just bogs. especially when the pow is up in the handlebar area. swipe the air intake below the windshield clean and it helps. Pipe side bogs in my opinion happen with the big belly pan sleds. and my sled does it all the time. revs, iq's don't have the pipe side bog as bad.

S

SnoShark

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado
Okay, there is a good gap around the exit. I have thought maybe that was part of the problem...Thanks!

Speaking of "that's not what I wanted to read...."

Back on topic, I used high temp silicone and quit a bit of it because my SLP can didn't fit very tight.

D
Nov 20, 2005
ok here it is..no big deal guys. first take the black permatex and seal the gap underneath where the can exhaust comes out. and also permatex all around in side where the exhaust exits. than put a slp air intake on the pendulin they cost $ 55.00 and u should be fine. i dont worry about the factory air intakes getting plugged up anymore either, my sled breaths now. hope this helps.

F

Flange

Oct 25, 2001
Calgary, Alberta
I cut out a piece from a silicone baking sheet. Label said its good up to 500F. It looks like there is a gap around the outlet, but thats just a shadow. I cut the hole almost a half inch smaller than the diameter of the outlet, then stretched the material over it. Installed it last February and haven't had it bog since.
DSCF4753.jpg

D
Nov 20, 2005
I cut out a piece from a silicone baking sheet. Label said its good up to 500F. It looks like there is a gap around the outlet, but thats just a shadow. I cut the hole almost a half inch smaller than the diameter of the outlet, then stretched the material over it. Installed it last February and haven't had it bog since.
View attachment 128269

thats a good idea

B
Dec 21, 2007
View attachment 128269

looks like you then rivoted it on? That looks like an easy way to do it! Thanks!

B
Dec 21, 2007
Also, out of curiousity...may be a dumb question but what is the reasoning for this? Is it that the spent exhaust gasses are finding their way back to the intake? Just want to see as my dealer said that this isn't the issue and that I should buy a BDX air intake...thanks.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
when you have a gap around the muffler and that allows exhaust to come back into the engine compartment, a stock m has a screen on the top side of the air intake plenum that is designed for your sled to suck underhood hot air, which isn't all that great, but sucking hot exhuast will quickly put the bog on your sled. Exhaust leaks on aftermarkt pipes, or bad exhaust donuts, or exhuast spring falling off often cause the same problem if you haven't modified your stock air intake. When you'r zipping along at 20mph or better, its ussually never a problem as lots of air going under the hood. Slow going, plugged fronthood vents, hot exhaust dues to lots of throttle in deep snow, bogging can happen, your engines no making as much power anytime you have these slow speed hot air...add exhaust conditions, just a question of loosing enough power that its can't pull the clutching.................then you have the bog.

A
Nov 26, 2007
ANC, AK
If adding vents and increasing flow helps performance, what would happen if you added a small DC powered fan to help force air into the intake.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
with a ceramic coated can it doesn't get that hot, I used some Garlock red rubber, only rated for 250 F or so and it doesn't show any sigh of getting hot or melting

very clean install, just slid down can exit pipe until it sealed hole, no RTV to redo if I need to take it off, will go right back to stock when season is done

2010-12-18_15-33-25_43.jpg 2010-12-18_15-33-02_442.jpg

B
Jan 20, 2009
is the outlet of the can sticking out past the hole in the lastic on the sled?( hanging down past the outlet, if that makes any sence) my jaws can was and it caused all sorts of problems

A
Dec 4, 2010
Anchorage, AK
Just sealing the outlet area doesn't always fix it, if you are doing slow, deep snow maneuvers, it will still get to hot and create a bog. We run the BDX intake with Super Q and Rumble pack cans, and to eliminate the bog we did the silicone around the outlet and this center hood vent. The more venting on your hood, the better.

IMAG0070.jpg

80arrow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2008
Grand Rapids MN
I stole one of my wife's silcone baking mitts (pot holder), its green (looks like its A/C issue), and she doesn't need it(can't cook):face-icon-small-sho. Cut it in half, cut a hole smaller then the pipe, slide it over the pipe, and it seals the hole in the pan.

Premium Features