• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

153 powerclaw coming down hills a little too fast

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
The powerclaw sucks going downhill in any kind of snow. If you ride in an area with lots of run out or a little less angle in the hill, then it is okay. If you ride steep slopes with trees at the bottom you better be aware of this or you`ll be in trouble.

To say that you need to pulse the brake and shake side to side ( ya, I do it too and everything else) proves it.

If you have ever riden side by side with the same sled with a camo extreme or even the wimpy old camo 2 in. we used to get it would be so obvious you would be envious of the alternate lines available in a downward path.

If you`re a bit intimidated going down a long hill with the powerclaw, it`s okay because it does suck on braking. Anyone who says its good is not being 100% truthful or doesn`t ride the same terrian.

Rider skill can make up for anything, but should it be that way.

Geo

C
Feb 2, 2010
kootenays, bc
The powerclaw sucks going downhill in any kind of snow. If you ride in an area with lots of run out or a little less angle in the hill, then it is okay. If you ride steep slopes with trees at the bottom you better be aware of this or you`ll be in trouble.

To say that you need to pulse the brake and shake side to side ( ya, I do it too and everything else) proves it.

If you have ever riden side by side with the same sled with a camo extreme or even the wimpy old camo 2 in. we used to get it would be so obvious you would be envious of the alternate lines available in a downward path.

If you`re a bit intimidated going down a long hill with the powerclaw, it`s okay because it does suck on braking. Anyone who says its good is not being 100% truthful or doesn`t ride the same terrian.

Rider skill can make up for anything, but should it be that way.

Geo

amen to that, thank good i have a C*** hair of that skill you speak of otherwise i would have a twisted pyle of m8 on my hands. out here everything has trees at the bottom, but we also usually have good snow so you can just lean it over to slow down. not that day....probably today though

S
Feb 21, 2009
clutching

couldnt disagree more my friend, i was doing everything in my power to slow down, from going side to side, to featherthing, to engage, feather engage, feather etc. the reason i know the powerclaws are really bad is that the xp i almost REAR-ENDED was having no issues slowing down all day, on anything. i just about rear ended him a few times that day. would leave myself lots of room between each other and by the time the bottom came i was looking at ways to get passed him. and this isnt my first rodeo either by the way.

Ride with and xp and they do slow down better, but its not all the track its the secondary backshift.The same thing happens with my pc when you feather on and off the brakes to get the backsift workin.Like said above its a no issue when its that steep or firm nothing works its a power slide......JME....

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
I hate the PC going down hill, but then i hate the CE going up hill in the super deep.....i was a huge CE fan until i got a good 600 miles on a PC, now its PC on both stocker and Turbo.....sure the CE rails with maximum traction on hard pack, but going fast on hero snow is silly to me.....the way the PC stays on top in the deep has made me a huge fan when the CE will dig a hole to china before i get a change to pull out

and im sure my girly 270lb frame dont help much on a CE:face-icon-small-dis

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I have the PC HCR track...(thanks Kinz)...

This track is very sensitive to track tension... if you believe the wives tales of a loose track gives you more performance... then it WILL suck going down hill. (a loose track will not go up hill as well either)

The PC is definitely not the best in downhill situations... but running the Proper tension on this track makes a difference.... same sled, same day same hill... loose compared to proper tension... the proper tension wins every-time ... according to Camoplast... the paddles load up and lay down more if the track is run loose which is what gives you the "magic carpet ride" downhill so badly...

Will proper tension on the PC give you "CExt performance" downhill... IMO... NO... but it will make it better.

My 2 cents.

R

rigrat

Apr 19, 2008
Alberta
I have the PC HCR track...(thanks Kinz)...

This track is very sensitive to track tension... if you believe the wives tales of a loose track gives you more performance... then it WILL suck going down hill. (a loose track will not go up hill as well either)

The PC is definitely not the best in downhill situations... but running the Proper tension on this track makes a difference.... same sled, same day same hill... loose compared to proper tension... the proper tension wins every-time ... according to Camoplast... the paddles load up and lay down more if the track is run loose which is what gives you the "magic carpet ride" downhill so badly...

Will proper tension on the PC give you "CExt performance" downhill... IMO... NO... but it will make it better.

My 2 cents.
So what do you consider the proper tension? Thanks.

A

akrevrider

Jan 15, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
So what do you consider the proper tension? Thanks.

I run mine at 1" of sag ~16" in front of the rear wheels w/10lbs of weight.This is on a Timbersled Mountain Tamer suspension w/ Avid drivers.

470 miles so far and it climbs uphill like a Billy Goat on Crack,downhill it is a little slick. Just pump the brake to unload the snow from the track. It was pretty slick running in the spring snow conditions a couple of weekends ago in Valdez running the steepest terrain that I have ever ridden.

Would still instal/recommendl it again for the overall snow conditions that we have up here in Alaska.

akrevrider

sierraclimber

Premium Member
Dec 14, 2009
Oakhurst, CA (western sierra)
My 162" Powerclaw doesn't seem to stop on hero snow on the flats. Just got 16 stitches in my chin yesterday!

Flying along probably going 40mph over a little rise and then an 8 foot deep 15 foot wide washed out canyon appeared. Locked up the track trying to stop and it just slid full speed into the canyon and slammed the other side.

I am sure its the tracks fault, had nothing to do with the fact that I was going to fast over untested terrain ;-)

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Yeah, The Camo Extreme 2.5" kicks azz!

And the Skidoo Powder Max 2.25" does almost as good.

Yep 2.5 extreme ,thats my track of choice. The PC speeds up when you hit the brake!Sure feels like it!

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Start making a quick habit of doing that to your DD and then this thread will be full of comments of how pissed off people are of their now "broken" DD. Then people will chime in saying how the DD is a piece of $hi#. Blah blah blah.

Know your sled, your talents (or lack there of), your terrain and ride accordingly. Sometimes things get a little out of control and it should raise your blood pressure and release some adrenaline..........thats why we love this sport right?

IMO......don't treat you DD that way. You'll be sorry quickly, I promise you that.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Start making a quick habit of doing that to your DD and then this thread will be full of comments of how pissed off people are of their now "broken" DD. Then people will chime in saying how the DD is a piece of $hi#. Blah blah blah.
IMO......don't treat you DD that way. You'll be sorry quickly, I promise you that.

Hey Q....

I had 3800 miles on an 07 DD that I put into reverse on a daily basis.
Tore it down after all those miles with NO maintenance... perfect. Abby's 1000, same thing after 2000 miles...

I think they're gonna go or not, slamming them into forward after reverse, or vice versa I think is worse.

I don't use reverse much anymore since it takes longer for the sled to start back up than it did to just flip the servo on the older sleds.

Premium Features