• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

m7 life?

ACTM7

Premium Member
Feb 15, 2008
how many miles before doeing anything to m7 engine has 3500 miles runs good, good compression, just keep runing or is it to end time

M

m7ryder

Sep 26, 2009
I would also like to know as my m7 has 3400 miles on it. I was going to do a compression check, my sled is completely stock, what compression should it have???

ACTM7

Premium Member
Feb 15, 2008
m7

i had 123 on one and 119 on other if i remember correctly i think i will just put new pistons in to be on safe side .

F

fuzz

Jul 4, 2001
Great Falls,Montana
I ran my stock 2005 M7 for 5500 miles at the end of last year. Was running great but decided to do a top end on it just for insurance and not be hung up in the middle of the season. Wife put another 1000 miles on this year. Lots cheaper than a new sled...

It is time for top end job and better safe than sorry cheap insurance to do pistons... Once if pistons let go, have to tear whole engine apart to clean the junk out from scattered pistons, add cost for jug replacement if score real bad, maybe exhaust valve, and head for sure...

S
Feb 21, 2009
5000 miles

I had same thoughts last year.Also about same miles, my dealer and many others said 5000 miles is about time to do top end.I rode it all year and now at 5300 and still has good compression.I would be more worried about the primary clutch.Everyone here was right on when they said to replace it at 4000.The spider did fail on that.Many m's out there with way over 5000 miles..

K
Nov 27, 2007
M7 life

When you guys put new pistons in are you re-honing cylinders and if so who is doing the re-honing, also is there some thing to look for in the primary clutch before failure.

When you guys put new pistons in are you re-honing cylinders and if so who is doing the re-honing, also is there some thing to look for in the primary clutch before failure.

You can rent a cylinder hone from some rental stores in your area and make sure it is bar type not the ball type and spray some WD-40 inside the cylinder before hone it up and down for about a minute then wipe it clean to check for cross pattern. If cross pattern looks good then you are done, may repeat process to remove minor scratches if needed. Then wash the cylinders in soapy hot water real good and make sure shop rag is not showing any when wipe cylinder clean before you reassemble the top end.

J

joeoim

Dec 29, 2007
Western Colorado
06 M-7

I wouldn't go too long

I had 4700 mi when rings came loose on one piston about a mile from a road. I was able to reuse the head, but ruined a cylinder. Had it waited two more days I would have been done for the year and was going to go through it and replace pistons.

Had it waited one more day, It would have left me a long way back, and cost me a helicopter to get it out.

Around here, 4500 mi seems to be a good time to redo the stock M7.

Joe

Last edited:
Premium Features