• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

800R Cranks

L

LRD

Mar 27, 2002
Hopeing to get back on subject of 800R cranks. I sent my 08 crank to Falicon to have it balanced. And those guys where amazed at how far out of balance it was. It took four slugs of 3/4" heavy metal to get it to balance. The motor is very smooth now.

That is not surprising as for years starting with the 670 the rotax cranks could
destroy a non TRA in very low miles.

Could you share what is involved and price range for the Falicon work.
Did they need complete pistons along with crank etc?

Good Luck

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
How do they lighten the crank? The guys from Falicon say it too light to begin with.

Material is removed around the sides and rod connections and then balanced ,Trued , Welded. The motor is very snappy/ spools on demand and runs smoother. The extra volumn provided in the cases now pack more fuel/air. Motor is about 5 to 10 ponies stronger.No -have not dynoed however will outperform same BB, setup without the Race crank.

S
Jan 6, 2002
Woops .0005 "Half Thou." That was the runout when installed and checked last week and has not changed

that is very good...wish Doo would bang that out the factory! checked my old 06 and it was running .002,which is max allowable for them! now if you'd balanced the TRA..then probably have very minimal vibes!

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
I have never had falicon do work on my two strokes, but they suck on street bikes. Brand new rods from them for my gsxr 1000 were out of balance and two of them out of round. I have bought carillo and crower rods for my street bikes and they were balanced and round new from the factory. I have heard lots of horror stories from their crank work on street bikes.

S

sonday_2

Feb 2, 2008
Kotlik
Wowww. Dude have another hit from the bong ! Thats some funny chit right there. :face-icon-small-dis

Sorry dont smoke that bong! it might get me spaced out here and whine all day long. It was true starting driving a young age, course i had crashes,just makes you a better driver focus and learn to use your gas, brakes, and ability to control your balance on a sled. As far as brands go they all have problems thats how they make there money with parts and acessories. So they can have a claim on there insurance. At one point in the economy most brands were great out of the box,and there were probably paying high taxes, till someone got an idea to put unreliably parts. it's a profit to loss thingie to claim.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
cranks

Since I have been fixing DOO's for a living since 1998 (I think that gives me more clout than anyone)...

RV motors- bearings to small...small oiling holes...high failure rate (granted popping on a couple PTO bearings and drilling the case oil hole bigger was an easy fix) but just prolonged the enevitable..

Series 3 with ISO-FLEX- bearings are fine for 10,000 miles IF at assembly theres enough grease AND the inner seals dont fail and contaminate the grease...as for the rods thats another story (read "running on the edge of deto") will hammer any crank/rod and is the main issue...

800R- same issues as the series 3 BUT ALOT LESS...theres more of them and less failures overall...period.

Tech tips- REAL 91-92 octane all the time...1 qt oil per tank of fuel (or slightly more)...run engine in proper RPM range (proper clutching)...

For the tuners/mechanics...pull motor day one...true crank...ADD iso-flex as needed...balance primary...

FYI- the 2007-2008 800R cranks are ONLY sold as brand new for $2100+...I have 1 in stock (trued) and will sell for $1200 shipped...

As for who suks more/less?...theres plenty of Cat shops (northern crank repair)...Polaris (Indy spec./ Hanson)...

Thats all I know...now its time to go to work...and fix a couple motors:thumb:-BJ

S
Dec 22, 2008
Gunnison CO Littleton CO
wtf is up with the pricing structure on these cranks?!!? ( BRP)

I am a machinist, I work for a world class crankshaft mfg, our cranks power many of the NHRA's top, Top Fuel cars, alcohol cars, pro-stock, NASCAR, dirt track, offshore, ect ect. Our cranks are billet 4340 or EN30B and withstand thousdands of horsepower in racing circuits all over the world. price for a billet 4340 crank start around 2K. these crankshafts are pieces of art when they go out the door, absolutly imaculate. how in the hell can a POS, pressed together, tiny little 2 stoke crankshaft cost 2 FREAKIN GRAND. ...one that only lasts a couple thousand miles to boot! thats absolutly crazy! :face-icon-small-con ..someone should arrest the guys at brp for that kinda crap. it makes me sick to my stomach to believe they actually sell them for that price!

BJ - 1200 sounds like a deal is they are 2100 new. if I had the cash i'd snatch it up right now

Last edited:
M

Mach-ster

Jan 5, 2008
Crankshafts

SDSX8,

I think your company should start making crankshafts for snowmobiles! I'd like to say i'm running a Lunati or Callies crank and a set of Oliver connecting rods
and have it .0005 or less --------That would be Sweeeeeeet!:face-icon-small-coo

C

clutch man

Sep 8, 2009
La pine Oregon
Even welded they don't last ! Just like Dootraxx mentioned even after they weld them they will still be out of spec in 2000-3000km. Polaris is no better or no worse than Doo. Just ask any reputable builder and they will tell you these two companies are neck and neck in engine failures !

I run a repair shop and I by far find that the ski-doo has more crank and piston problems than any other sled. If you have one and have 2500 or more miles on it you better get new pistons, seals and have the crank looked at.
I have had more polaris and cat make 5000+ miles than Ski-doo.
If it were not for ski-doo i would not have a job, it now makes up for most of my repairs like 70%. It does not help that they have bearings on the crank that you pack with grease (1930 technology). It is time that they make some changes.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
BRP

Thats too bad about Doo, they need to get with the program and start giving customers some value for the money. I never plan on buying another sled from them until they change a few things:

A)Bar none the worst customer service at BRP. Try and call and talk to someone, it can't be done. You should be able to call a company like BRP and get a tech on the phone to discuss these issues, with real world solutions.

B)Their motors need to be redesigned to last for the life of the machine, not 2500 miles. They charge a premium for these junky sleds and they should hold together better than they doo.

I'm embarrassed this is a Canadian company !

X

Xrider

Jul 9, 2001
Montana
The only customer service I've needed, I've done so thru our dealer and always had nothing but great service. Most sleds in our group over the years have had very few problems.

S
Dec 22, 2008
Gunnison CO Littleton CO
SDSX8,

I think your company should start making crankshafts for snowmobiles! I'd like to say i'm running a Lunati or Callies crank and a set of Oliver connecting rods
and have it .0005 or less --------That would be Sweeeeeeet!:face-icon-small-coo

it would be sweet for sure.

>>>i just dont understand how a stock, production crank from brp can cost 2100 bucks. I also can't figure out why they use those type of bearings...technology has churned our far more reliable solutions over the years than what they're using

Last edited:

Luvinit

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Sask,Canada
I seem to recall someone replacing the isoflex bearings with oiled bearings and drilling the cases for this. anyone know of someone doing this and do you think its feasible.

Premium Features