• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Getting the 02 800 ready for the season

1Fast68

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Renton, WA
Sleds got about 2700 miles on it, runs great but is a little low in the compression department. I put a Set of V force 3's on it at the beginning of last season so we're good there, just trying to figure out what else I should look at replacing while I'm getting down and dirty.

I don't know if the sled needs just rings or if i need to do pistons as well, anybody got any recommendations?

Sled is pretty much all stock down to the can, 2002 800 Highmark with a 156x2.

Last edited:

deboer

Lifetime Membership
Jan 5, 2009
Archer, IA (Northwest IA)
sence it has 2700 miles on it i would recomind doing rings for sure and then also look at the cinlinder to see what condition they are in and also the jugs.

or you could do what i am going to do when i need a nother over hall drop a 827BIGBORE KIT in her!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1Fast68

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Renton, WA
If you already have the cylinder off I would do pistons....cheap insurance.

I haven't done anything yet, but will do what needs to be done. Just looking for advice as to what to do, what parts everyone likes and such. I've never done much rebuilding of sleds before, just been a pull and go rider for the past few years.

This is the Same Sled I was on a couple years back when we ended up riding together a bit in I.D. and playing around below heavens gate.

French024.jpg

French019.jpg

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
Sleds got about 2700 miles on it, runs great but is a little low in the compression department. I put a Set of V force 3's on it at the beginning of last season so we're good there, just trying to figure out what else I should look at replacing while I'm getting down and dirty.

I don't know if the sled needs just rings or if i need to do pistons as well, anybody got any recommendations?

Sled is pretty much all stock down to the can, 2002 800 Highmark with a 156x2.

At 2700 miles you will be able to look at your ring face surface and see all the "flaking" and pitting.. The pistons will also be sufficiently worn.. I wouls suggest getting some new pistons and rings..
Not worth the risk to keep the old pistons in there.. The result of a piston failure would cost you a lot more money.

my .02

Kelsey

1Fast68

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Renton, WA
Kelsey,
Thanks for the reply, and thats the Direction I was planning on going after giving it some thought. Do you make any pistons that will drop in without requiring your head too? Its not really in the finances right now.

Thanks

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
Kelsey,
Thanks for the reply, and thats the Direction I was planning on going after giving it some thought. Do you make any pistons that will drop in without requiring your head too? Its not really in the finances right now.

Thanks

I do not make a kit that does not require the head.. Most opt for the drop in kit because of its big HP gains..for relatively little coin

Kelsey

Premium Features