• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BCA Avy Vest

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
How does everyone like them? I've ran Abs packs all these years but I like the idea of this vest. Who's used them pros/cons

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
It was good. A little snug and took me back to my sno-X days wearing tekvests. Personally I like the SnowPulse vest better with more pockets and room. But I hear BCA changed that for this year. And SnowPulse has plate inserts for their vests now too. So they are both trying to take a little for each other and make a better product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sled208

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2010
I like mine. It doesn't flop around like a backpack. I like the added security of having a tekvest incorporated. I was always a rule breaker and put my beacon in my coat pocket anyway so the beacon pouch on the front is perfect for my tracker 3. I looked around for the new revised version at hay days but couldn't find it.

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
The bca booth had them on display but not for sale as they have not come in yet. I tried the new one on there and they are nice. Bigger pockets on the new vest as well as it comes with a shovel pouch it's no longer an add on.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I've run BCA packs, ABS packs and now the BCA Mountain Pro Vest.

First thing I noticed from going from an avy pack / tekvest combo to the mountain pro vest was how much cooler you run!! Not having the tekvest against you with a coat over the top and then the pack on your back really changes the "warmth" factor. It's not bad, its just different and you have to readjust your layers and learn how to dress again, if that makes sense?

I think you end up with a little more "freedom" of movement in the mountain pro vest as it fits nice and having the weight of the pack distributed across your entire upper body is nice. Instead of the weight pulling on your shoulders and sitting on your upper back, it really is dispersed through the vest.

The mountain pro is smaller as far as storage then my previous packs but I don't pack a ton in the packs, so that wasn't a huge deal.

The pockets on the mountain pro are nice with having special pockets for the link radio and your beacon. Getting to the beacon is super quick and easy, no unzipping a coat and getting to a harness. It's also nice having one piece of gear that basically replaces two pieces of gear.

As far as negative........I really miss the ABS system, as they are great and don't leak!!!!! The mountain pro also has less or I guess you could say not quite the protection that a tekvest offers. There basically thinner and I don't believe they would absorb the same hit as a tekvest. I have also seen the main zipper on the mountain pro vests take a crap too, which sucks!!! No zippers on a tekvest and their pretty much bulletproof.

I have one season on my mountain pro vest and all in all I'm happy with it. I would like to see the new version and maybe upgrade again, but like everything else, I'm sure they will keep getting better and better!!

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to see if I can find one at a snow show and try on this year. Are the canisters co2? One thing I loved about abs was that they used nitrogen which to my understanding the pressure doesn't change no matter the temp or altitude? Correct me if I'm wrong but could that affect the pressure in bca canisters?

DDECKER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2013
CRAIG COLORADO
Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to see if I can find one at a snow show and try on this year. Are the canisters co2? One thing I loved about abs was that they used nitrogen which to my understanding the pressure doesn't change no matter the temp or altitude? Correct me if I'm wrong but could that affect the pressure in bca canisters?
the BCA is o2 and yes you are correct but the PSI change is minimal and doesn't affect deployment, and it is far easier to charge the BCA bottle. IMO

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
Big fan of the bca vest. I have the original. I had a float 22 before and never wore my tekvest because I felt like a marsh mellow. Then if you are ever sitting with your buds relaxing after digging out or whatever it is a lot easier just to take of the bca vest and cool off. Fit is great in my opinion and I am way less sore after the day since it displaces the weight over a broader area. At first I thought the pack was going to suck being a lot smaller but I get my shovel, saw, probe, beacon, radio, water, snacks, med kit, spare gloves, hat, spare facemask in there just find. Tools and jacket liner go in tunnel bag as well as other waters and snacks. I just eat my snacks out of the tunnel bag throughout the day that way in case I am in a survival situation I still have enough supply in the pack.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I've used a SnowPulse X pack, SnowPulse Vest, Original BCA pack, BCA Float Vest and BCA Float 8 packs.

I really like the BCA Vest. I thought the SnowPulse vest was too warm. The BCA Vest will still get warm in the spring but it breathes better. The fit wasn't bad for me. You can really cinch it down if you like. It gives you some padded protection but not hard like the TekVests (which I hated, too warm and too constricting). The pockets on the BCA Vest are awesome. Allows you to keep your beacon on the outside and easily accessible during an avy. You can switch the pull handle to either side. BCA has better pricing than most other companies.

The only things I didn't like are that the vest zipper would sometimes come down on it's own and the V at the bottom (where the vest comes together) would snag on my mtn bar. I think it's because my belly pushes it out though ;).

If you are interested in buying a really good shape used one, I might be selling mine to go to a new one.

bkm20x

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Arnolds Park, IA
I tried the new style XL on at Hay Days I am 6'5" 225lbs and it fit very well wish I had $$$ burning a hole in my pocket lol...really like some of the new changes I was going to buy one last year but held off after hearing of the larger size coming this year.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
ABSOLUTELY LOVED my vest last year.
Enough so that I am buying a 2nd one giving last year's to my younger son!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/b2zBtj7rAIc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Here's some pics of the new BCA Mountain Pro vest,

Larger main compartment
Integrated shovel holder
Redesigned front cargo pockets
Additional buckle at the bottom of the zipper
Upgraded articulated shoulder pads
Availability in two sizes M/L and XL / XXL