• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Belt deflection

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
When taking apart and reassembling the Pdrive you need to make sure the weight tip are resting in their slots around the spring. As well as the sheeve rollers in the proper slots.

You may have done do, just thought I’d mention, in case not.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
When taking apart and reassembling the Pdrive you need to make sure the weight tip are resting in their slots around the spring. As well as the sheeve rollers in the proper slots.

You may have done do, just thought I’d mention, in case not.

Yep that’s what I was getting to. Something is wrong on the reassembly of the p -drive.

H
Dec 7, 2009
Yep that’s what I was getting to. Something is wrong on the reassembly of the p -drive.
I had the clutch off and took it to the dealer. They said they had to make some “adjustments to it. This was about 3-4 wks ago. Clutch is still the same as before. It works fine just can’t set the deflection how it’s supposed to be.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
So if it was right and then you changed something, like a clutch kit, and then it was wrong, then it is pretty obvious that something was assembled incorrectly?

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
.015" or 15 thousandths of an inch for belt to sheave clearance.
To sound cool, say 15 thou.

Have you been able to ride it since the belt deflect debacle?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
Did you take secondary apart also?
Maybe your secondary shaft is not seated in the retainer properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H
Dec 7, 2009
Update... I picked up a new damper/cushion drive. Measured the taper on mine vs the new one. The new one was a bigger taper. Put it on and problem solved. The screwed up taper was going too far in the fixed sheave and taking away all belt to sheave clearance.

M
Dec 17, 2016
Northern Illinois
Update... I picked up a new damper/cushion drive. Measured the taper on mine vs the new one. The new one was a bigger taper. Put it on and problem solved. The screwed up taper was going too far in the fixed sheave and taking away all belt to sheave clearance.

Glad to hear you got it fixed! Also, Thanks for posting your solution. I hate when people present a problem and never post the solution or outcome.

K

kovs

Nov 29, 2007
saskatchewan
I have this exact problem. Sled has 225 miles on it. Changed out spring in primary and put back on and I have no belt clearance when it’s torqued to spec 89 ft lbs
I ordered a new cushion. As dealer had never experienced this yet- they want to see clutch when I come pick up part maybe warranty. Lol
but I see even DJ has now on his sled experience this so ...

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
I have this exact problem. Sled has 225 miles on it. Changed out spring in primary and put back on and I have no belt clearance when it’s torqued to spec 89 ft lbs
I ordered a new cushion. As dealer had never experienced this yet- they want to see clutch when I come pick up part maybe warranty. Lol
but I see even DJ has now on his sled experience this so ...

Broken, improperly installed, or defective secondary spring?

Premium Features