• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

dedicated snowbike bike...just looking for ideas

T
Nov 11, 2008
I have read quite a few threads on guys looking for multi season bikes which will do good in dirt and on the snow but I am looking for a little feedback on a dedicated power unit that would be ridden during the shoulder seasons, say November, maybe early Dec and then mid April onward.

I do not have lots of experience on snow bikes, just a few rides and I love it! I didn't know how great it would be and once I was on one I knew I had to have one. I haven't tried a 2 stroke thus far. This isn't going to be my main ride, I run a 200xcw for single track, and a ProRmk 800-163 for my sled. I'm 155lbs and can get away with the small bore summer bike but like the bigger sled for the deeper stuff like Revy and such.

Brand new is not an option as its going to be an extra toy for now, so been pricing out some used stuff. Early model fuel injected 450's aren't bad price wise, $5000-6000cdn, or possibly a 300 then go with a smartcarb or lectron (which I perfer) and the winter mods. The kit for maybe be a used ST, or go all out an get a new 16. I like the idea of the 300 I can find older 07-08 xcw bikes cheaper, sometimes low hour as well. Being used to riding the 200 I am not throttle shy either so I lean towards a 2 stroke but like the idea of the 450's lower end torque.

What about a 70 degree FE390? Reason I ask is there just happens to be one locally, in great shape for a pretty low price. I have ridden a ST on a 350SXF and it left me wanting a little more go for some of the steep straight climbs but worked well once on edge. I would guess the 390 wouldn't be much better than the 350.

I guess I am just looking for feedback suggesting I am on the right track, then it just comes down to what I pick and go from there. Any insight is great. Thanks

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
I only got a couple days on my basically new '11 YZ450 with a ST kit. Never been on a snowbike til I got this winter (or lack of).
I rode it at pretty low altitude under 5kft and can say I thought it had great power, but not overwhelming.
Compared to a 450 on dirt that is too much bike for me, lol.
For a snowbike, go as big as you can afford IMO.

egesledder

Premium Member
Sep 8, 2009
West of Boulder, Colorado
^ Agreed

I have my KX500 big bored, ported for top end hit, lightened flywheel, modified exhaust valve and its still just "enough" power. It would probably be pretty unrideable on dirt. Go big power if its a dedicated bike.

M
Jan 14, 2004
If you are on a budget and who isn't these days and you are thinking dedicated snowbike its pretty hard to beat a big bore 2 stroke, KX500 or CR500 value wise. They aren't for everyone but for the dollars spent to HP ratio as well as low purchase and maintenance costs they have to be at the top of the list. A 300 is an awesome bike but the price of admission is more, as in like double if you are looking at the newer ones which seem to be the better snowbike candidates than the older 300s.

M5

N
Jan 3, 2008
Northern Utah
About as dedicated as you can get. And cheaper. Are you riding with other snowbikes or sleds?

10986649_10206147926046649_5836382899317281193_n.jpg

Premium Features