• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Shock upgrades from the dealer?

N
Dec 18, 2012
Bothell, Wa
I'm planning on buying a new G4 850 SP this week and already spoke with the dealer about getting accessories and parts at cost +10. The question I have is what are available shocks to most dealers and what are the best options for off trail mountain riding in the west? I like to fire and ride and not interested in the constant tuning to get a decent ride.

I was looking at the 1.5 Qs3 shocks for all 4 because I like the on-the-fly adjustable rebounds but I was reading a few negative posts about the Qs3 model and stiffness (none specifically called out the new 1.5's). I think the 1.5's came out earlier this year, anybody with good or bad experiences with these or other recommendations that don't require constant tuning?

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Fox builds Quality product. Like “any” suspension, shock etc. they require getting your springs adjusted for you. Then adjust the qs3 when stiffer is needed for the given situation.

N
Dec 18, 2012
Bothell, Wa
Fox builds Quality product. Like “any” suspension, shock etc. they require getting your springs adjusted for you. Then adjust the qs3 when stiffer is needed for the given situation.

So your saying the new springs need to be replaced with softer springs then adjust positions for stiffer as needed? What comes on when purchased and can these be ordered with softer preload springs? Also what size springs would be best for a 220# rider (with gear).

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
So your saying the new springs need to be replaced with softer springs then adjust positions for stiffer as needed? What comes on when purchased and can these be ordered with softer preload springs? Also what size springs would be best for a 220# rider (with gear).

Not necessarily, I was trying to say simply that you will need to adjust the springs that they come with. It always surprises me the sheer number of folks buy a new sled, or new to them and never touch the suspension, which I’m sure you planned on adjusting. Then go out and say such and such part suck, does not work etc.

I’d think the springs Fox put on should be pretty close. A couple years ago their front ski spring rates were a bit on the soft side. But that has been remedied according to Tom from Toms Snowmobile.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I bought the QRS3 shocks all around from my dealer just like you are talking about doing last season. The rears have been great. I’m 250lbs without gear, I’d bet almost 300 with all my riding gear and tunnel bag. The rears were fantastic, better ride, really helps keep the nose down climbing and also keeps the sled from the quick weight transfer to the rear at engagement. Stock clutching is harsh at egagement. I ended up getting the 2017 spec ski shocks even tho I purchased in Jan 2018. I’m just now unforking that with a little help from Fox.
The 2018 spec fronts have a heavier spring and what I heard is stiffer comp and rebound damping. I doubt you’ll have a chance of getting the 2017 shocks. I added as much preload as possible and it didn’t make a dif and I really couldn’t tell any dif from 1-3 on the clickers and had the rebound 3 clicks from full stiff.
To be safe I’d buy the shocks from Toms. Tell him your weight and riding style and get them perfect right from the start (or really really close lol)

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I think that article was from last season. Tony had some feedback for Fox which was use a stiffer spring(99% thats what you’ll get if you order now, just don’t get old inventory from your dealer) and firmer compression damping to start with on position 1 then all the way thru the 3rd position. I also thought it was firmer rebound damping which is usually needed to match a stiffer spring.
What sledhead is talking about is adjusting the pre-load. As long as the springs are close you can use pre-load to tune the shock a little stiffer or softer depending on preference or weight. But if the springs are too soft(like the 2017 models I have or worse the stock springs) you cant make them stiff enough even if you adjust in so much pre-load that the spring will bind on itself.

N
Dec 18, 2012
Bothell, Wa
I think that article was from last season. Tony had some feedback for Fox which was use a stiffer spring(99% thats what you’ll get if you order now, just don’t get old inventory from your dealer) and firmer compression damping to start with on position 1 then all the way thru the 3rd position. I also thought it was firmer rebound damping which is usually needed to match a stiffer spring.
What sledhead is talking about is adjusting the pre-load. As long as the springs are close you can use pre-load to tune the shock a little stiffer or softer depending on preference or weight. But if the springs are too soft(like the 2017 models I have or worse the stock springs) you cant make them stiff enough even if you adjust in so much pre-load that the spring will bind on itself.

10-4 I got ya. Sounds like the new version is much improved for rider adjustability. I wonder if they have a new 2018 part number, do you know what the part# was for your shocks?

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I don’t sorry. Call Toms. Trust me on this that call will be worth it. If you can’t reach him on the phone email him, that can be a better way to get questions answered this time of year.

W
Sep 9, 2013
I don’t sorry. Call Toms. Trust me on this that call will be worth it. If you can’t reach him on the phone email him, that can be a better way to get questions answered this time of year.

I called Tom Monday, lady answered and took my info. Tom called back in an hour or so and wasn't in a rush to get me off the phone. Excellent customer service. I told him his website sucks. He knows it, just call him. Saved me money over any other option also.

I won't know how they ride until the weekend but I can tell you from other experiences that off the shelf shocks suck. They need valved and sprung correctly.

N
Dec 18, 2012
Bothell, Wa
I actually called there already to ask about some parts and a few technical question but the woman who answered didn't have much of an idea so I didn't ask much. I'll shoot Tom an email.

Are these the new versions for ski doo for 2019? I wonder if these replace the qs3r for this year since they are listed as "new" on a few sites. Curious what the differences are besides color.

https://www.ridefox.com/filter.php?m=snow&t=skidoo

Last edited:

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Top one is. Next two have been available for last couple years. Sure looks like the QRS3 shocks have the thicker wire/stronger springs.

Premium Features