• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Break in belt squel

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
Before u immediately say deflection, I know. 2nd ride on rmk got just under 100
Miles on it.. towards end of ride the belt was squeling. Cearly too tight as when I lifted ass end up the track would free spin..

Sooo question. Dont they typically loosen up vs gettng tight????

H
Oct 14, 2009
Appleton Maine
My 18 did the same thing. Had about 50 miles on it and it got tighter quick. To the point i had to hold the break to keep from moving. Adjusted deflection and about another 40 miles had to adjust it again. Only had one more ride on it and it seemed fine. Just waiting on snow to try it again this season. Hopefully im good to go.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Deflection set screw is loosening off while riding.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
Ya that could be it.. i’m about to unload from trailer so I’ll check it out. Thnx

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
If you do find your deflection screw loosened up (mine did in the first 30 miles) disassemble and put blue loctite on the adjustment hole threads and reassemble. After I placed blue loctite on the threads it never happened again.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
There were several 2018 sleds with a loose deflection screw, including my sled. I believe the threads in the sheave were cut a bit too large. Blue loctite takes care of it.

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
Deflection set screw is loosening off while riding.

That was it.. check out pics of belt and clutch shaft? Should I just clean up shaft with parts cleaner and scotch brite or leave it alone? Also what ur guys take on how the belt looks.. kinda pisses me off it backed out. It was way loose

FDB746DF-3D52-4024-870B-80027E2B5394.jpeg 813EACC8-27FC-42C0-ADA1-B6D90C4EE4E6.jpeg

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
There were several 2018 sleds with a loose deflection screw, including my sled. I believe the threads in the sheave were cut a bit too large. Blue loctite takes care of it.

I went ahead and just used red to make sure..

^^^^^^ JUST KIDDING....

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
That was it.. check out pics of belt and clutch shaft? Should I just clean up shaft with parts cleaner and scotch brite or leave it alone? Also what ur guys take on how the belt looks.. kinda pisses me off it backed out. It was way loose

Clean the rubber off the shaft, or it will just get smashed into the sheave bushing.
The belt should be fine once the deflection is corrected.

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
Clean the rubber off the shaft, or it will just get smashed into the sheave bushing.
The belt should be fine once the deflection is corrected.

Smart to take belt off or is it okay to do while still on?

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
1. Turn key off, remove tether.
2. Open secondary as far as you can with the Polaris tool, remove belt and spray acetone or brake clean(the harsh stuff with no environmental stuff in it) on the clutches and sheaves. Rotate clutches by hand to get all around.
3. Wipe clutch sheaves till the rag comes out clean.
4. Scrub sheaves with new burgundy scotchbrite.
5. Clean again with acetone and wipe till rag is clean.
6. Carefully wipe grease off belt.
7. Not recommended but spray belt with brake clean to blow off grease.
8. Fill sink 3" deep with hot water, use palmolive or dawn and scrub with a rag to remove grease.
9. Change water and scrub again till no grease is on the rag.
10. In new clean h2o, 3" hot water and soap, turn belt inside out scrub belt with scotchbrite. Get in between cogs really good.
11. Turn belt right side in and scrub like crazy, especially the sides using new scotchbrite often.
12. Rinse off with hot tap water.
13. Squeeze dry with a towel, not wipe and hang in your warmest room to dry.
It's a ton of work but the pic shows grease on the primary clutch and belt. If every last speck of grease is not cleaned off, it will contaminate the clutches and belt and burn up a $200 belt.
Go for it!

Last edited:

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
1. Turn key off, remove tether.
2. Remove belt, open secondary as far as you can with the Polaris tool and spray acetone or brake clean(the harsh stuff with no environmental stuff in it) on the clutches. Rotate clutches to get all around.
3. Wipe clutch sheaves till the rag comes out clean.
4. Scrub sheaves with new burgundy scotchbrite.
5. Clean again with acetone and wipe till rag is clean.
6. Carefully wipe grease off belt.
7. Not recommended but spray belt with brake clean to blow off grease.
8. Fill sink 3" deep with hot water, use palmolive or dawn and scrub with a rag to remove grease.
9. Change water and scrub again till no grease is on the rag.
10. In new clean h2o, 3" hot water and soap, turn belt inside out scrub belt with scotchbrite. Get in between cogs really good.
11. Turn belt right side in and scrub like crazy, especially the sides using new scotchbrite often.
12. Rinse off with hot tap water.
13. Squeeze dry with a towel, not wipe and hang in your warmest room to dry.
It's a ton of work but there is grease on the primary clutch and belt. If every last speck of grease is not cleaned off, it will contaminate the clutches and belt and burn up a $200 belt.
Go for it!

Holy ****.. lol.. had no idea .. thanks man

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
yep kane is on point .... except I don't spray break cleaner no chit but a rag to wipe stuff off before I start but I want to know kanedog why # 10 I only scotchbrite the sides.
In the cogs, both inside and outside cogs, there can be oil on the belt. If there is oil in between, it can seep out onto the clutch sheaves and cause belt slippage. The outside is not as critical and it will fling gunk onto the belt guard which is cool as you can see what gunk is collecting on the guard.
Gunk, gunkety, gunkety gunk. Gunk is the word of the day.

Last edited:
Premium Features