• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris primary grabbing new belt but not the old one

jrscirocco

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2012
Maltby Washington
Hello,

I have a 2005 RMK 700, bone stock. Ran a new Dayco HPX5020 belt last year with no probs, put +/- 500 miles on it with wife/son mostly on trail.

Removed belt at end of season to clean clutches, stored belt on sled tunnel in my shop.

Now belt grabs and moves the track no matter how the secondary is adjusted - up to deflection of 1.5" which is beyond what is advised.

Primary cleaning/inspection included:
Removed primary outer cover
Removed spring
Checked weights for smooth roll up/down
Checked rollers for flat spots
Movable sheave slides easy on shaft
Spider is not cracked as I can tell

Other notes:
Did not remove primary as I don't have the tools.
Motor mounts are all good.
Secondary appears to be properly aligned with primary
When comparing the old belt (dayco hpx5020 with 1200 miles +/-) I notice it is about 1/16" skinnier in width than the new belt. With this old belt on the sled it does not grab and does not creep at proper 1.25" deflection.

I'm at a loss here, does anyone have any advice as to why this is happening? My only thought is the belt swelled over the summer??? That seems ridiculous though.

D
Always start with the basics. Make sure your spring is up to spec or just replace it. Make sure your weights and rollers are moving smooth. Make sure your clutch is clean. Check your belt to sheave clearance with a new belt. .010" up to .030" is fine. If it get to large it will slam into the belt on engagement. After the primary is checked out look at the secondary to make sure it is working properly. It takes both clutch's to be working together to make it all come together. Belt compound can come into play however 99% of the time is something in the clutch's. Good Luck.

Premium Features