• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 sounding fat

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
In the videos on burrandts page the 850 does not sound very crisp at all. I will be testing mine the end of month. So for guys that are off breakin do they sound crisp or like a fat cow.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
In the videos on burrandts page the 850 does not sound very crisp at all. I will be testing mine the end of month. So for guys that are off breakin do they sound crisp or like a fat cow.

If you have a video clip, point out the time stamp where it sounds fat.
Is like to see what you've observed.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
I'm no good at posting links going to wait on till new format is rolled out. I went to burrandts Facebook and listened on his last three days of posted videos. Looked like same sled in all of them. Sled looked like it performed well but the sound just wasn't there for me. I then went back to last year and listened to a stock 800 axys on his page it sounded more crisp. Maybe location of mic. This motor sounds more like the 900 of old. I've had 1000 ski doo also that it reminds me of. I'm thinking Polaris is just playing it safe. Like a 2011 vs 2013. They also have to have something new to sell next year. Sorry for long post. I know there's lots of concern over this motor but if it would have no warranty I still would purchase it.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
It's funny because of tuning race cars, mud runners and pulling trucks and snowmobiles. I can listen to a motor and hear things most can't. Crisp is fast but on the edge of being expensive. When mixing gas I can here the difference between 95 octane 100 and 114 being run in a race sled motor. I have an one hour on my 850 after it quits adding oil I will mix 1 to 2 oz of oil per gallon of gas and will do this until I sell it. Oil helps with making a two stroke live. I also have a theory of this motor adding too much fuel and washing the oil off and losing protection. This also has to due with synthetic oil.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Pulling this to the top my sled is rich at the bottom and could be leaner at the top also hopefully polaris will have a new map

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
That sound you speak of may be the pistons getting cheese grated from the bad factory hone job :face-icon-small-sho

Now that is helpful. We are trying to share ideas how to improve performance and you are just wishing these sleds didn't beat up on your Cat. Wait until we do figure them out and you will be even more embarrassed.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Now that is helpful. We are trying to share ideas how to improve performance and you are just wishing these sleds didn't beat up on your Cat. Wait until we do figure them out and you will be even more embarrassed.

Consider the source . . .he is a friend of Big 1 inch, who made himself a mockery on here. Birds of a feather . . . . :)

Last edited:

CATDIESELPOWER

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2009
IDAHO

Wow that was from about 2 months ago and it was meant with sarcasm. A joke.
I’m not embarrassed if you beat up on my older, little 800 Cat, with 50 more cc
I would think you should. Don’t be so defensive. Happy shredding!

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Wow that was from about 2 months ago and it was meant with sarcasm. A joke.
I’m not embarrassed if you beat up on my older, little 800 Cat, with 50 more cc
I would think you should. Don’t be so defensive. Happy shredding!

Your name with a negative comment just seems to find it's way into everything I am reading on here lately. Sorry if it was sarcastic and you really did not believe what you were saying.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I'm no good at posting links going to wait on till new format is rolled out. I went to burrandts Facebook and listened on his last three days of posted videos. Looked like same sled in all of them. Sled looked like it performed well but the sound just wasn't there for me. I then went back to last year and listened to a stock 800 axys on his page it sounded more crisp. Maybe location of mic. This motor sounds more like the 900 of old. I've had 1000 ski doo also that it reminds me of. I'm thinking Polaris is just playing it safe. Like a 2011 vs 2013. They also have to have something new to sell next year. Sorry for long post. I know there's lots of concern over this motor but if it would have no warranty I still would purchase it.
I thought I was the only one who puts the phone to my ear to listen to the motor rpms/fluctuations!
I hear the same as you with Burandt's sleds. Good but not quite there yet.
I listen to engine sounds more than I watch the vids.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Right on Kane I've bought enough motor parts for that education. I'm sure you have to. That's getting to be a lost art new generation doesn't know anything about round side,and flat carbs with needle adjustments. I have this question is why we don't use reed spacer anymore? Maybe Indy Dan will explain why these have no value on today's motors.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Leak down test

Before anyone does a reflash, you should first do a cylinder leak down test.

Motor Performance before the reflash...... And performance results after reflash are worthless without leak down numbers.

The big problem with reflashes is...... ( we do NOT know the leak down % on the sled Polaris is using for the mapping ).

Are they using a brand new motor ? With 3-1/2% leak down?

Are they using a 500 mile motor ? With 1-1/2% leak down that had a great cylinder finish and rings sealed up nice ?

Are they using a 500 mile motor ? With 7% leak down that has rings that are on their way out the door...... ( basicly junk )

You see if we knew everyone's numbers...... Then we could see who's sleds the reflash works on and if there is a correlation to the leak down numbers.

And there will be........

If you build a map on a sub-par motor the map is basicly worthless to everyone except another guy with the same sub-par motor with the exact same leak down.

If you build a map on a broke in motor with 1-1/2% leak down...... The Map will be awesome for everyone with a good solid top-end with good % numbers.

As I have said...... All the different results are worthless to the masses without leak down numbers

Last edited:

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska

That's too funny, I just shared a video from Instagram to a buddy yesterday morning and told him to listen to the midway mark and you could hear the difference in sound.

Definitely not as crisp as some prior 800 builds.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Before anyone does a reflash, you should first do a cylinder leak down test.

Motor Performance before the reflash...... And performance results after reflash are worthless without leak down numbers.

The big problem with reflashes is...... ( we do NOT know the leak down % on the sled Polaris is using for the mapping ).

Are they using a brand new motor ? With 3-1/2% leak down?

Are they using a 500 mile motor ? With 1-1/2% leak down that had a great cylinder finish and rings sealed up nice ?

Are they using a 500 mile motor ? With 7% leak down that has rings that are on their way out the door...... ( basicly junk )

You see if we knew everyone's numbers...... Then we could see who's sleds the reflash works on and if there is a correlation to the leak down numbers.

And there will be........

If you build a map on a sub-par motor the map is basicly worthless to everyone except another guy with the same sub-par motor with the exact same leak down.

If you build a map on a broke in motor with 1-1/2% leak down...... The Map will be awesome for everyone with a good solid top-end with good % numbers.

As I have said...... All the different results are worthless to the masses without leak down numbers

Dan, 3 in our group all ran the same. All smoked and the tunnels were all sooted up after every ride. They all girggled around 4300-4500 rpm. The rider could even foul a plug at will. The new map now has cleaned up my sled. It no longer is leaving black streaks in the snow. It just rips. I don't think you are going to be right about these sleds not getting longevity. Maybe not like a 4 stroke but certainly similar to other brand 2 strokes.

Premium Features