• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

154, 165, or 175?

Which length?

Votes: 115 25.8%

Votes: 215 48.3%

Votes: 115 25.8%

• Total voters

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN
Why would this make any difference?? Except maybe overheating on the trail.

Just want to see one. I have a 154 that i was thinking about building a 165 skid to swap out. I want to be able to run a 154 1.6 cobra in Minnesota and then swap out a 165 for 2-3 mountain trips a year. So i was more curious do people just ditch the flap? will it work with the link removable flap?

D
Mar 13, 2014
Just want to see one. I have a 154 that i was thinking about building a 165 skid to swap out. I want to be able to run a 154 1.6 cobra in Minnesota and then swap out a 165 for 2-3 mountain trips a year. So i was more curious do people just ditch the flap? will it work with the link removable flap?

The flap will catch I sawed it off on the trail the first trip out. The removable one would work. It does not overheat. Speedo doe not work though, not sure if it could be fixed or not.

Matthew runge

Goldy
Premium Member
Oct 5, 2018
Minnesota
Works great no snowflap. Saves weight and less snow drag and it does not overheat. Check out the lynxhttps://www.brplynx.com/en/lynx/boondocker/boondocker-ds-850-e-tec.html

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Track change itself has no impact on speedo. Speedo only impacted by a track driver change in size.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I just sno-checked my first Skidoo ever, so this is the first time I've browsed the Skidoo forum on here since the day I registered believe it or not ...

So, disclaimer - I've never owned a Gen 4 Skidoo (Did just sno-check a 2020 165 expert tho) ....

But, the riding group I've been riding in the past 3 seasons is a pretty good mix between Skidoo and Polaris sleds, and interestingly enough we all basically have come to the same conclusions about track lengths ....

Meaning, the 175 is great on the super-deep days and in more open country, but its really kind of a handful on anything less than the deep days .... the 154 is great, and even on the deep days in the hands of an experienced rider a very formidable weapon ... But, most folks fall somewhere in between there, so the 165 has proven to probably be the best all-around choice for back country / mountain riding IMO ...

I'm using Skidoo lengths here, but the same goes for Polaris or Cat .... you talk to enough people and it seems like the track length thing isn't mutually exclusive to one brand...

With that said I'm so looking forward to that new Skidoo next season :)

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Man I love my 175 on the DEEP days. Don’t forget you have more track in the snow on a Doo being 16” wide so they fell like they give you the float of the next size bigger track on the other brands.I was planning on selling my 18 175 this year but now the plan is to keep it, cut the tunnel, install the new Expert skis and shocks and give that a go next year. A big mans Expert if you will.
The removable snow flap makes a noticeable difference. I NEVER even attach it to the back of the sled until spring when I need a little extra cooling tho. If it fell off I probably would NOT buy another one lol, just run it without all the time.

W
Sep 9, 2013
Man I love my 175 on the DEEP days. Don’t forget you have more track in the snow on a Doo being 16” wide so they fell like they give you the float of the next size bigger track on the other brands.I was planning on selling my 18 175 this year but now the plan is to keep it, cut the tunnel, install the new Expert skis and shocks and give that a go next year. A big mans Expert if you will.
The removable snow flap makes a noticeable difference. I NEVER even attach it to the back of the sled until spring when I need a little extra cooling tho. If it fell off I probably would NOT buy another one lol, just run it without all the time.

How are you going to cut the tunnel with the cooler back there?

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles

Could you please post the tunnel modification as a project?

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
My Bad... Mis-information ....GRRR.

Yes... 3.5" pitch
The 154 is really a 154" track...with 44 rows of paddles

154 S38 is a 154/2.5 2.86....BJ

154 young bucks who bump n jump and dont mind digging
165 most fellers
175 most bigger fellers and guys who really want to climb

Last edited: