• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutching Help , S Chassis Triple

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Hello guys I have a 700 triple in my 97` Summit this year, I haven`t ridin it yet but was wondering what would be a good clutchin set up , my Motor is a 98` 700 triple running stock 38mm carbs and a single exhaust pipe and a Dynoport can, and I am using the TRA clutch off the 98` 670 motor, I know my buddy I bought it from is pretty savy when it comes to the TRA and I`m sure he could help me out on this pretty well just curious of what alot of others out there are doing with there triple too, what RPM is this motor going to perform at? Not sure if a clutch kit would make much difference over setting it up with stock parts,

My fiend I bought this sled from knows how the specs on the clutch and the secondary too, I can find out from him on them Hopefully he will chime in and throw some out there.

Any info or suggestion is welcome,

Thanks, Wildcard28

T
Nov 28, 2007
Burlington WI
hey Darren!
I ran the same engine,carb, exhaust package in a 136 F chassis a few years ago...
never ran it up high, just flatland so my clutching wouldn't help you!!
8000/8100 rpm is where that single works best
hey, how did you do the right front engine mount w/the steering mount right there??

Last edited:
F

freekweet mods

Feb 3, 2008
I would recommend a 47 degree cam with 16 pounds of preload,two to one gearing, stock arms, hollow pins and a purple/pink spring with 286 or 287 ramps. Not sure what rpm that engine should run at, but this set-up should get between 8000 and 8400 depending on clicker setting and snow conditions. :cool:

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
hey Darren!
I ran the same engine,carb, exhaust package in a 136 F chassis a few years ago...
never ran it up high, just flatland so my clutching wouldn't help you!!
8000/8100 rpm is where that single works best
hey, how did you do the right front engine mount w/the steering mount right there??

toecutter, the motor mount wasn`t a problem, but how I positioned the motor was a bit tricky, I am running the F Chassis triple steering post and the motor plate I got from Mz1 on Dootalk.com had an extra set of holes drilled in the motor plate from where he had the same 700 type motor in an s chassis too, the exhaust and can was also set up for a s chassis also. got kinda lucky on that one. I actually had to get the motor positioned to where the steering post would clear the carbs good and then align the clutchs from there, I actuall had to shift the motor to the clutch side about a 1/2 to make it all clear, so I added a 1/2 inch thick aluminum shim with a set screw between the secondary and the bearing to slide the secondary out to match with the primare clutch, its stil tight but got it clearing now. The problem with a triple in the s chassis like this is the motor itself, the 600-700 have cylinder spacing that is closer together than a 780,800,809 , those motors are wider spacing of the cylinders giving alot mor e room , my buddy has a 780 in his s chassis and he has good clearance, we were talkin on the phone and measureing one day and his is more roomy. I didn`t have to modify the mount you speak of.

My Summit http://s375.photobucket.com/albums/oo197/ddcard/

Wildcard28@msn.com

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
I would recommend a 47 degree cam with 16 pounds of preload,two to one gearing, stock arms, hollow pins and a purple/pink spring with 286 or 287 ramps. Not sure what rpm that engine should run at, but this set-up should get between 8000 and 8400 depending on clicker setting and snow conditions. :cool:

Thanks, sounds like a good set-up, I have been hearing that the rpm range should be around 8000 to 84 or 8500

wildcard28

S

Skidoohmx

Nov 26, 2007
Deary, Idaho
If it was me I would call the dealership and have them look up the rpm for a formula III to get a clutch point. The only bad thing about center dump pipes is they do not like to be over revved because the power falls off fast within a couple hundred rpm. The can shouldn't change the rpm. I woold try running a 200-320 primary spring with the 286 ramps you already have. Check if any weight was added to the pins because I can't remember. If there is none I would start hollow. I think you should be alright with the 50 degree cam with higher preload like we had it before. I believe it was in b-6 0r b-5. I would leave the gearing the same. Did you get the motor to rev up right?

Premium Features