• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Blowing belts a safety concern

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
Was this on the 17 or 18? If 17 where updates done?

What belt?

What do you have for ventilation?

Stock clutching?

Is the clutch cover cut down?

... he learned a valuable lesson that day, when you hear a strange noise, stop and check it out.

Ace

brandon227

Lifetime Membership
Nov 3, 2010
North East Wyoming
Glad your son is OK.
Belts come apart at the worst possible time. It is just a fact of riding a sled.
I always take the precautions of cleaning my belts and clutches when I get a new sled or a new belt. Not trying too lay blame on anybody but have you checked the belt deflection. I have had to adjust mine twice with only 200 miles on the sled.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

S
Dec 5, 2010
Sḵwxwú7mesh, BC
lol

went through 15 belts last year... i've had the sled run over me twice on sidehills, had it hit trees, had it damn near go over a cliff, had it get horribly stuck in the worst possible situations ... had it all happen

and yeah every time it does makes you stop taking lines you normally would've

sucks, but what ya gonna do........ ride an arctic cat ? lol ... :juggle:

excuse me while I go pour myself another cup of tasty tasty doolaid.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Feel for your son, but mountain or even flat land riding comes with many risks..

I remember when I was 9 and my John deer spit fire throttle got stuck and I went into the cultivator, then when I was chasing a cycote and broke a front ski, nose diving into the hard dirt snow, also hit a few gas well roads that got plowed, flew like a ragged dall

He's 15 and it's a belt, if he stays in the sport I can promise him many more stupid crap happening over his years sledding, no ones fault, just sh1t happens

Just this last weekend I flew over the hood a couple times in poor Revy vis.. Month before broke a rib on a branch.. But all in all, do your best to teach him general common sense safety and he will pick up the rest..

Broke many belts, and flew over many hoods, keep teather on and hope and pray that my reeds did not blow out as I'm waking back in a daze..

We have the best sport out there, but it comes with some risk..

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com

IMO... When sleds are belt eaters
... like a significant portion of G4 850 eTec Summits ... or a 900 RMK for that matter....

It IS a safety issue...Above and beyond normal risks associated with sledding.

Even/Especially if you are keeping your sled maintained... and replacing belts at normal intervals for your riding demands...

my 2¢

Last edited:
S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
since were on safety.do those fancy classes tell people to sit on top of the hill and wait for the newbies and young pups to hopefully make it up the hill?

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
Nope
Factually NOT TRUE.
I reviewed the log of this post and there is not ONE SINGLE POST that has been deleted from this discussion.

Sadly, there have been 3 similar and parallel such discussions. All have gotten badly off topic. One required major editing. And not by me for the record, although I completely agree with every edit.

Hopefully we are back on track now. Some really good info on G4 clutching has been shared on here the last few days; would be great to have to sift through less rubbish to find it.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Nope
Factually NOT TRUE.
I reviewed the log of this post and there is not ONE SINGLE POST that has been deleted from this discussion.

That would make YOU DEAD WRONG!

I had 2 or 3 posts DELETED FROM
THIS THREAD. Mafesto had a couple
Deleted as well. Better reign in your mods Chris, their doing things behind your back.

Now that’s been said. I don’t really care mine were deleted, well..... I do care one of them was. But the back and forth between me and mafesto I don’t care was deleted, it wasn’t at all about the actual post. Just a pissing match.

So one of your mods IS DELETING POSTS without you knowing or being able to track.

This is FOR SURE.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
I confused which thread I was looking at. Similar discussion. My posts were deleted off the “ski doo 850 belt problem” thread. Not this one.

Last edited:

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
My comment was towards a friend with a picture posted of him stuck, saying he'd rather talk on his phone when stuck while I broke trail for him. I referred to myself as princess because that is what he called me in another thread which you did not delete haha . I don't think it required being deleted but to each their own. I don't own the forum. I just paid to be here :face-icon-small-con

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Sorry Mow

Wrong thread. It was here: https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=440105

Care to take back your mod comment?

Now please, back to topic.

Not really trashy. Been screwed over in broad daylight more than once buy a
Couple certain mods. Never you though. I respect your role here and always have. Your one of the good ones! I knew I had my facts wrong that’s why I posted again saying that it wasn’t this thread that my posts were deleted.

Perhaps the mod that DID delete my posts in the Narona thread should have took some REAL action and just combined all the posts that they liked and put them all in one post title that they preferred the most. That would
Have been fitting and fair.

Last edited:
Premium Features