• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled advice?

G
Jan 24, 2018
Hey guys,

I'm looking at a 2012 RMK Pro 800. Owner says that he installed a new motor from Indy Dan in Minnesota (with the fix kit) after the last one blew up. I did a compression test cold and warm, and got 62 PSI in both cylinders every time. The engine only has about 100 miles on it, according to the owner. Any thoughts on what might explain that?

Also, I know that the original motors for these sleds had issues. Can anyone tell me what other problems they tend to have, or whether I should avoid this particular sled in general?

It has about 1200 miles on the original chassis, the engine is apparently new, and he is asking $5000. Is that a good price?

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
If it is a indy specialty motor there should be an engraving on it somewhere. I would check the compression with a different gauge. The motor should barely run if at all with that low of compression. Ive seen some higher end gauges read incorrectly. There's nothing wrong with the 12 chassis. I still have a couple of them.

G
Jan 24, 2018
So he sent me the invoice from Indy Specialty:

2012 RMK SHORT ROD 800 MOTOR WITH TMX MODIFICATIONS, TM PTO BEARING SET UP,
HG7 CYLINDER FINISH, GUSSETED CYLINDER TABS, STOCK LENGTH SLOTTED RODS.

This was completed in December 2016. Looks like he spent about $3k on it.

Any insight into the reliability of these motors? Or why it would show such a low compression?

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
Indy stands behind his motor only builder that I know of that puts a 3yr warranty on his motors. I would check the compression with a different gauge and if it still shows low give indy specialty a call. The original owner might be able to get the motor warrantied.

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
11/12's were notorious for engine failures. Indy Dan engines are great, especially his long rod versions.

13 saw some upgrades:
front end,
running boards,
quick drive
more reliable engine.

it had some inherent flaws too, original quick drive belts failed, front end a-arms glue had some issues.

14/15 were great years for the Pro Chassis, solid reliable machines.

16/17/18's working great.

If it were me unless you get a screaming deal I'd look for something newer than the 12.

With the snow being the way it is this year (bleak) in my opinion... there are going to be a ton of left over sleds, which in turn lower the re-sale on the overall market.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
Like others have said check with a different gauge as that seems low for both to match at. Or check another sled with that same gauge and see what you get.

As far as price. $5,000 seems to be what they are asking for them around here for the 12's. See lots of them in that range but I would bet you could get him into the $4,500 range.

Indy Specialties is where I will drop my motor off after the season. They do incredible work and warranty it.

G
Jan 24, 2018
Thanks everyone. I think at this point I will keep riding my '01 RMK to finish the season and then look for a newer sled this spring when they become available.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Thanks everyone. I think at this point I will keep riding my '01 RMK to finish the season and then look for a newer sled this spring when they become available.
Smart move!
If you don't get one this spring checkout Hay Days in the fall if you can. I may sell my 2014 Pro RMK 800 155" next fall. Just turned 1000 miles. I am guessing $5000 to $6000 range. Or I might just give it to my kid for a case of beer! :face-icon-small-hap

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
Smart move!
If you don't get one this spring checkout Hay Days in the fall if you can. I may sell my 2014 Pro RMK 800 155" next fall. Just turned 1000 miles. I am guessing $5000 to $6000 range. Or I might just give it to my kid for a case of beer! :face-icon-small-hap

I'll give you 2 cases of beer for it at haydays!! If you do plan on selling it this fall hit me up.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
I'm guessing the compression test was done wrong. Throttle wide open. Both plugs out. 3-5 pulls...look at gauge for reading.

Premium Features