• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Jackshaft update

Ddub

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I installed the jackshaft update Kit into my 13 and now something seems to be binding at engagement. It wants to engage at 3600 but the sled won't move until almost 5 grand. Anyone else experience this?

knh208

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2009
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
Check it all one step at a time. Get the track off the ground, pull your belt and spin it to see if something is binding.

Check your clutch alignment and clearances.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Ddub

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Yeah I got the track off the ground and it turns hard by grabbing the track but I can turn it fairly easy by turning the secondary.? I'm running a team tied secondary that I ran all last year. The only thing I changed this year is the new jackshaft with new gears. Well and a 940! Motor runs good and strong once I get moving but feels like major belt slip at engagement. The new chain I put in was very stiff!! Thought it would loosen up buy now. Like I said I'll pull the cover tonight.

knh208

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2009
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
Ya, it should roll easily enough that when your belt deflection is just right the track moves just a bit at idle.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Ddub

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I checked everything over and put in a manual chain adjuster. It's a little better but thinking it's the powervalves. I installed the bikeman 940 with a .250 valve shim but wasn't comfortable with valve to piston clearance so I made a couple .125 spacers. Would the valves being open so far at idle cause this issue? Seems low on power until 6000 rpm. It also will not back up worth a ****. Any ideas? I'll try removing the additional spacers and readjust the valves.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
If you installed a 940 kit did you change some clutching too? What primary spring, weights, and brand of belt are you running?

I threw on a new Dayco belt I had won a couple years ago in raffle the last time I went out. It was doing exactly as you are describing. Gates and Cat belts I had on before with the same setup were fine. Deflection set just over squealing tight on all.

Ddub

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Check your clutch alignment, you may need to adjust he shims behind the secondary.

Great point, I didn't check it. Changing the jackshaft probably changed the offset. Anyone know what the offset should be with a team tied?

BD-Xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I installed the jackshaft update Kit into my 13 and now something seems to be binding at engagement. It wants to engage at 3600 but the sled won't move until almost 5 grand. Anyone else experience this?

pull the cover off the primary clutch with the belt off and see if the movable sheave sticks. It's very common for the movable sheave bushing to actually swell and get stick and even stuck. The bad news is when that happens you need to get a new clutch. I have scene this happen a lot.

You can upgrade to the newer style 2016-2017 team clutch too which seems to a very good clutch.

Ddub

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I have double checked all clutching and chaincase and it all checks out ok. Thinking it must be the diamond s can. I know bikeman says to use their can but I didn't think it would matter. Anyone else running a diamond s with a 940?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I have double checked all clutching and chaincase and it all checks out ok. Thinking it must be the diamond s can. I know bikeman says to use their can but I didn't think it would matter. Anyone else running a diamond s with a 940?

I would think the can restriction would be an issue on the top end, not so much at the bottom. What elevation are you trying to run at? I know Bikeman recommends their big bore can for lower elevation and stock bore can for high elevation. I run a Diamond-S on my 900 and I'm pretty sure Kevin at Hub's Performance was running them on the 940s too. Those are all being run at high elevation though. Still sounds like a clutching issue to me.

Premium Features