• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 Break In

Adam12

Lifetime Membership
Apr 16, 2014
Sisters, OR
I spoke to a guy last weekend on a new summit x and he said ~400 miles to clear the break-in period? My dealer told me 2 tanks and I'm at around 1.2 tanks and sitting at 71%.

I feel like "Ferris Bueller" jacking up the back and letting her run for a while.

EDIT: Is there a significant difference when you hit the magical 0%? Or is it a "Yeah man, I feel a huge difference" after installing a Fast and Furious battery cover feeling?

Last edited:

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Break in is done based off fuel used( roughly 29 gallons)

More fuel used sooner it gets done.

Do everything you can to get the worst fuel mileage possible and you can get one out of break in by 200 ish miles.

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Once you make it to 40% there is no difference in performance

Adam12

Lifetime Membership
Apr 16, 2014
Sisters, OR
Thanks for the replies everyone. I tend to ride it like it is broken in anyway and like Brandon said, great power during the break in.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
40 miles. Down to 67% left on break in. One tank run through.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
My 850 sleds last year got HORRIBLE mileage the first tank, like 40 miles. Everyone I knew had the same thing happen and freaked, buying gas cans left and right. Second tank and up mileage was normal. Performance doesn't change one bit from first tank to the 0%. I think that every Etec I have had (850 seemed the same to me as 800) made more power during late break-in than right when it comes off, then power comes back up around the 600-800 mile mark. I think it really takes this long to get the rings good and seated, and the bearings loosened up with the synthetic oil that we use. Here we have considered using semi-synthetic oil to speed up the process, but too scared to do it, lol.
What you WILL notice other than mileage on the first tank, is oil usage. Figure one tank of oil per tank of gas until it is off the clock. I think I burned 4 or 5 cases last year between two sleds, mostly during break-in.

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
Just ride it and don’t worry. I don’t think there is much difference between 50% counter and 0. I think they put that stupid break in counter on the display to screw w/ people’s minds. Haha

Teamdog

Premium Member
The engine breaks in very quickly IMO. The rings take about 15-30 minutes and they are good to go. I believe most of the bearings are roller bearing so no real break-in required there.
I think the most important thing about break-in is heat cycles and not allowing the engine to develop too much heat early in its life. Things shift and seat in with heat cycles.
Keep the engine rich and don't allow full advance on the ignition timing early in its life will allow parts to wear in and find there happy place before allowing full advance and a leaner mix producing max power.
Probably not real noticeable to the average rider.
I can tell you after building hundreds of race engines break in is critical to engine life and patience is king. BRP knows we don't have any so they program the patience and break in for us. LOl
Can't wait to get mine out there. The last sled I rode was an 08. Apparently theres a big improvement.

Later.....

straightup

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Rigby Idaho
You want notice any change riding. They absolutely rip even in break in period. Didn’t notice a change in my 850 till it blew up and got new motor took it back out in break in period again!! Then noticed on same Hill it blew on that the top end was considerably less.

Premium Features