• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Stator failures post here

rcr1978

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Spring Creek NV
I just wanted to gather some real information on the stator failures on M series sleds.

For the guys that fix there own stuff what are you finding for failures= injection coil, charge coils, lighting coil, or fuel pump coil?

Here is my experience this one has bit me in the *** for a long time.

From what I gather particularly on 07-08 sleds the injection coils were a problem cat updated the stator in 09 probably due to a known issue with these?

This may help some I've found some issues were the sled starts, runs perfect, can ride the road, trail, flats, small hills, ect were there is no prolonged wide open throttle and there is no issues at all with the sled. Take it up in the mountains were there is long steep climbs then the issue starts= the machine will start to sputter then you turn out coast to the bottom and have the classic low idle, give it gas and it dies. Now it won't restart no matter how many times you pull on it until 20-30 minuets go by were the stator finally cools off and it starts up like nothing happened :face-icon-.small-con . And sometimes it will start a little here and then still die everytime gas is given sometimes you can feather the throttle and it will go but run like crap.

Now add a fuel box for either a pipe or turbo you increase the pulse width of the injectors working the charge coil harder and it now happens more often, you see the classic lean condition at the top of a pull sled sputters/pops/wide band goes lean and you coast to the bottom with the above issue. You flip your temp sensor bypass switch the sled does start but barely but the problem does not fully go away until the sled/stator has time to cool.

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
I had a stator go bad on 99 600 efi 1600miles, just quit on a trail ride, ignition coil, 02 800 efi 1800 miles, ran fine once started but if you shut it off would not start until coil cooled off, once I rebuilt it no more issues, 06 M7 efi 1500 miles, put it away for the winter (ran fine) went to start in august no spark or lights, Current 09 M1000 2400 miles original stator, the hood has one head light removed for extra venting and side panel has open vent since day one. Also has ceramic coated slp pipe full exhaust, I believe the added cooling and reduced under the hood temp have kept this stator alive.

rcr1978

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Spring Creek NV
On the 02 800 would the stator test good always? When you say rebuilt did you do a top end and leave the stator alone?

rcr1978

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Spring Creek NV
Ok thanks, sometimes these stupid stators get you chasing your tail, if they fail open/resistance out of spec they are easy to diagnose but the ones that kick your butt are the ones that test good :face-icon-small-con

T
Feb 8, 2010
Nelson, B.C.
I recently had a #2 charge coil go intermittent, after finally testing open and replacing (had spare) I found the wire between the stator and plug had a break in it. this was on my 09M8

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
buds 06 m1000 burnt the stator/charge coils about a month ago he hade about 2200 miles on the original. about 300 miles prior we installed a slp y pipe pipe can BD programmer and opened up the side panes for venting

Premium Features