• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Stage 3 kit or big bore

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I love my Bikeman big bore on my sled. I haven't had to do any tuning, but it was all done as a kit where everything is from the same shop and the fuel map I'm running was developed for mountain riding. If your stage II parts are from shop A, but you're looking at a big bore top end from shop B I feel like you're going to have to spend a little more time getting things to work in harmony. If you have no interest in doing that then I would say upgrade what you have from stage II to stage III to spend more time riding and less tuning.

F7arcticcat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Leave the stage 2 and Get a nitrous kit from Dakota performance, I've ridden with it on a stock sled and my bigbore...fun fun!

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
I took the leap and set up a 900 bmp on a 16 pc with a full slp stage 2. it does do very well but it took a bit of work to get there.
I also have a tki belt drive and a 162x3 p.c. on it.
NOS is a PITA. with the bb you get constant power.

E
Dec 24, 2011
Yakima wa
I took the leap and set up a 900 bmp on a 16 pc with a full slp stage 2. it does do very well but it took a bit of work to get there.
I also have a tki belt drive and a 162x3 p.c. on it.
NOS is a PITA. with the bb you get constant power.

Did I run into any tuning issues with the kit? I’m not worried about clutching I’ve just never had a big bore before, but man I wanna try the 950 kit from bdx

yz250_

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
My cousin is running a speedwerx big bore with a stage 3 kit. It runs really good. He just put a tki belt drive on also

BD-Xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
950 big bores

We have our 950 kits dialed in very well. We have done several hundred now since 2015. Drop on kit that work great and is very powerful and reliable. Killer throttle response!

www.bd-xtreme.com

ssi950complete-4.jpg

A.ekstrom

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2010
Scandinavia
Did my first ride yesterday on my fresh rebuilt SSI / BD-X 950. Boyesen reeds, Complete Jaws setup and PCV with SSI low alt tune. Only done short burst to about 80% throttle. The way this engine picks up RPM and speed is just... WOW
Still have to fine tune engine and clutches.

Last edited:
J
Jan 17, 2010
emmett,idaho
I have a 14 stage 3 and it runs really strong. Noticeable gains over the stage 2. Was happy with the upgrade. Pretty linear on delivery. I spent almost as much time on a ssi 950 stage 1 that ran equally as well in regards to maintenance and consistency. It was slower to rev through out but it put down the power very efficiently. You could almost wheelie at will but not enough to make it hard in climbs. Imo you can't go wrong either way. Stage 3 just cleans it up alot and revs quicker. The advantage of the 950 was at the top of the rpms you felt like there was a little more to give vs on the stage 3 up in the high revs it lost the torque-iness.

Premium Features