• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1994 Polaris Indy trail motor problems looking for help and advice

Z
Feb 7, 2018
I have just bought a 1994 Polaris Indy trail with what I believe is the stock motor. 488 fan cooled 2 stroke oil injected motor. I went on some test rides before I bought it and even had the seller meet at my mechanics house. Seemed like good sled. Got it home and went for a few rips around my neighborhood before going too far. While riding it it shut off and sounded like a blew a bearing or the motor. Tried to start it and it was seized, went to pull it home with my truck an hour and a half later and it started back up when I pulled it. Rode home with no problems? Looking for advice on why it seized but started back up. A few people I know say It may have over heated or lack of oil. But ran fine when cooled off. Any ideas? Please help

Last edited:

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
It could be a crank bearing on the way out. With the ignition turned off turn the primary clutch by hand to see if it is catching or feels rough.
It could be that the jetting is too lean or there is a bad seal on crankshaft so you seized a piston. Usually it will start again after it cools off but you need to find out what caused it.
It could be lack of oil.
I think you should have your mechanic do some checking as none of the above is good.

Premium Features