• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

G4 belt running to top of primary, very hot temps, found out cause

T
Feb 8, 2010
Nelson, B.C.
I have a 17 850 Summit X 154 3" with 21-53 gears. I run the 157-303 secondary spring with a 44-36 progressive helix. Primary runs the Doo 990 weights with 33mm pins with Joeys 150-385 spring. I run a nice flat shift out to 7950 ish and it holds in deep pow at 6000-7000 ft. If I hadn't started working on the clutching last year I would be installing DJ clutch kit.

I forgot to mention I have over 1500 km on the original belt.

Last edited:
F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
UP Date...6-7000'' heavy deep snow 175g4

Had sled out with shockwave turned out 4 turns, ( around 47 degrees) added 2.5 grams per arm, and black secondary spring...

Holy hell what a change from before... Sled is just so much quicker than before, no belt slip, no rubber deposits on secondary, temps almost 100 degrees cooler..motor even sounds different from making it work rather than just a revie sounding motor

Backshift perfect all day.. Compared to the sleds we compared to week before, this change was huge, highly recommend it..

Forgot to mention... Rpm max recording now reads like it should, no more 8400 rpm, always around 8000rpm when reset

Only reason it was reading this was belt slip.. Really wonder who is setting these sleds up from.factory, two years now to get it right and not...

Last edited:

03RMK800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, Colorado
Reading all this is interesting. The spring chart showing a number of springs ending up at the same point was educational. But, what is the color of the stock spring in a factory high altitude sled?
Thanks!

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Reading all this is interesting. The spring chart showing a number of springs ending up at the same point was educational. But, what is the color of the stock spring in a factory high altitude sled?
Thanks!

Blue 157/221

S
Feb 16, 2011
canada
Top cog on belt sheared off on outside only. Belt/chain set correctly. Belt guard mount showed signs of contact. Belt replaced under warranty. When will BRP get it together?I find it hard to believe that these problems didn't show up with test riders of the new platform. What is BRP going to do for owners of 17/18 with belt problems to correct the design flaws besides the band aid fixes for the second year?

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
UP Date...6-7000'' heavy deep snow 175g4

Had sled out with shockwave turned out 4 turns, ( around 47 degrees) added 2.5 grams per arm, and black secondary spring...

Holy hell what a change from before... Sled is just so much quicker than before, no belt slip, no rubber deposits on secondary, temps almost 100 degrees cooler..motor even sounds different from making it work rather than just a revie sounding motor

Backshift perfect all day.. Compared to the sleds we compared to week before, this change was huge, highly recommend it..

Forgot to mention... Rpm max recording now reads like it should, no more 8400 rpm, always around 8000rpm when reset

Only reason it was reading this was belt slip.. Really wonder who is setting these sleds up from.factory, two years now to get it right and not...

Interesting that it liked that aggressive of a helix. Looks like it’s time for skidoo to ditch the 40.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Black secondary spring and a lower finish rate on the primary spring have been repeated over and over by big John on this site for the last year.

snowest
dootalk
SHR page FB
850 pages FB
Hay Days

update- heavy wet snow upper NW guys or any 3" track sled can upgrade to the doo green (with stock 40 helix) IF you still see a little too much clutch temp with doo blk...

-BJ

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
snowest
dootalk
SHR page FB
850 pages FB
Hay Days

update- heavy wet snow upper NW guys or any 3" track sled can upgrade to the doo green (with stock 40 helix) IF you still see a little too much clutch temp with doo blk...

-BJ

I run Mr. baker SHR kit. with the medium size tip weight. 2 grams on the heal. Kicks azz!!!!!

Premium Features