• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

900 big bore loses power at 7200 rpm

M
Feb 6, 2010
Munising, Mi.
my 2013 pro with carls 900 big bore loses power around 7200 rpm. so far i have drained fuel and used new, changed clutch springs,cleaned exhaust valves,changed coils,fuel pressure was high so i swapped fuel pump and pickups with my '15,checked tps,put different can on it, unhooked fuel controller, checked and cleaned reeds,new fuel filter, running out of ideas, how do i test injectors, or will the ones off of my '15 work?

Last edited:

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
Is fuel pressure still high after swapping fuel pump? I wonder if partially clogged injector/injectors would cause high pressure? Or clogged filter? (U didn’t say if u changed that)

Comp test? Or exhaust sensor swap would be my next try

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
mormud, Where did you order/get the adapter for fuel pressure testing??
DET sounds like low fuel pressure issue!
gtwitch in wyoming

M
Feb 6, 2010
Munising, Mi.
adapter came in, its a little difficult. i had to pull panel over tank off, so i just ran the pump with a battery...60p.s.i. should it make a difference if it is running?

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
It could deffinitly make a difference on the pump and pressure like if the stator isn’t providing Adequate power or the capacitor isn’t holding that extra power properly or a relay has a intermittent issue or there’s a bad ground that’s effecting power. Supplying your own power will bypass all those possible issues

M
Feb 6, 2010
Munising, Mi.
Ran full throttle in garage today. Fuel pressure steady at 60. PTO side plug was a little wet, not too bad, but more than mag side. Any other suggestions would be very appreciated. My next thought is to get the injectors out and clean them. What are the small , like regulators, on top of the injectors block?

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
Exhaust can clogged/partial blocked?
Check timing and crank phase?
Maybe take recoil off and have a close look at flywheel and stator. I’ve read about flywheel coming loose and damaging stator wires.

M
Feb 6, 2010
Munising, Mi.
today i decided to try changing fuel map. i was told bringing it from out west it should be lean. i added fuel to higher rpm range and it got much worse. so i took some fuel away and it got better. now i am at -5% around 6000-7200 rpm and -3% from 7300 to 8400 rpm.runs and sounds great. plugs were new, so there isn't much color to them yet but they are not gray. they are pretty dry though, when i shut it down at about 7300 rpm. only took a couple of short runs. will be able to go for a longer ride friday. not sure how to map it correctly

Premium Features