• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2001 800 RMK Assistance

C
Jan 24, 2017
Hoping to get some help on diagnosing a problem. Had to leave my sled in a difficult area and I am hoping to go back and fix it rather than tow it out. Sled started out the day running great as it usually does. Shortly after it started bogging badly but more like a cylinder was cutting out not like it was getting loaded up due to jetting. Occasionally while feather the throttle to get it go it would kick in for a few seconds and run like nothing was wrong. Often times when getting read to start from a stop i'd have to step off to get it moving so the problem was worse with a load on it. I'm really getting the feeling it's and electrical issue. The headlight has been unusually dim for a while and recently it brightened back up like it should be and then the day before it crapped out the light was flickering from dim to bright. The machine had persistent stator problems in the past but not for a while. Also during the ride, but noticed after the problems started, the exhaust developed a large leak, could improper back pressure cause the symptoms as well? Plugs were not great but they were not fouled out either. I changed to a new set and it ran good for about 10 seconds and the problem continued. Thanks for any help.

C
Jan 24, 2017
Yeah there is a pretty good gap where the pipe joins the header. Looks like the pipe rusted through you can see flames coming out in daylight.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
High temp JB weld to get it out? Thoughts?

Maybe not the best idea to use JB weld as it takes a few hours to totally harden. It could break up and get sucked back into cylinder. Is there room to make a "bandage" out of light steel and clamp it over the hole in the pipe?

Premium Features