• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thinking of making the switch

G

Gone Sleddin

Nov 26, 2007
last yammi a rode was probably a late 80's phazer and i was maybe 8 at the time. current sled is a 2012 pro. found a 2015 viper for sale. advertised with factory turbo which i am assuming is the dealer installed mpi. I ride some in minnesota, some around 5k' and some up to 10k+. with the turbo, is there any adjustments that need to be made when changing elevations? what are some other things to look for? I am looking for something with good power but reliability so im not always wondering if/when the sled will blow? is the turbo ok for putz around trail riding with the family? with a few modifications, will i be disappointed making this switch? :juggle:

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
You can puttz around, you can run WOT, you can ride however you like and never worry about much more than the occasional oil change. Yamaha packs a few extra pounds, but IMO, you make up for that with turn-key-and-ride reliability.

The sled you are looking at might have an electronic boost controller (EBC) which adjusts boost as you go up in elevation to maintain horsepower. The factory kit didn't come with an EBC and is set to about 5lbs of boost. Once you are clutched for 180hp, you shouldn't have to touch it again.

If it doesn't have an EBC, you can add one pretty easily but they are currently on backorder. I've been waiting since mid November, but I'm told they'll have mine shipped soon....

Anyhow as far as mods go, about the only thing you want to do is a 160 or 180lb front shock spring, ski's, and maybe a rollover valve.

I'm at just over 1K miles and found a couple bolts loose, nothing else but gas and go. You can feel the weight, and vipers still carry more ski pressure than a 2 stroke...but the engine will outlast the chassis.

ATVPT

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
www.youtube.com
last yammi a rode was probably a late 80's phazer and i was maybe 8 at the time. current sled is a 2012 pro. found a 2015 viper for sale. advertised with factory turbo which i am assuming is the dealer installed mpi. I ride some in minnesota, some around 5k' and some up to 10k+. with the turbo, is there any adjustments that need to be made when changing elevations? what are some other things to look for? I am looking for something with good power but reliability so im not always wondering if/when the sled will blow? is the turbo ok for putz around trail riding with the family? with a few modifications, will i be disappointed making this switch? :juggle:

Once you switch to a turbo four stroke, you will never turn back. The pros out weigh the cons all day long, especially if you will be running flat lands..... :camera:

Last edited:
V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE

A 2015? Throw the electronic altitude boost compensator on there, Zbroz 38" 16+ spindle front end on it to give you the stability on the trails but the updated geometry of the 36" front end, and let it rip. Roll over valves are nice, but I never put one on my '16 Viper. Just had an extra quart of oil in the trailer in my spare parts tote and added if I ever rolled it and it sat upside down for any length of time. The Vipers are pretty bullet proof with MPI turbos on them.

Premium Features