• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Searching for more bottom

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
People say turbos are pull and go but they do require more maintenance to keep them running properly.

I agree with this whole heartedly. So many miles without any days of being towed out but I also spend a TON of time checking everything on the sled between rides. You definitely have to pay to play and some times that just means paying with your time.

To the OP, everything else just said above is all great things to check into. I've seen it said a couple times that any issues that exist, performance parts will only make those issues stand out more. Happy hunting :)

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Very true words regarding leaks, worn parts etc etc. Before you pull your hair out clutching Pressure test the whole system, cap exhaust, cap turbo intake and add pressure. Fix the leaks, there are always little things here and there that may seem like nothing but TRUST me, you will be blown away by how different they run even with some little pinholes plugged up in the sytem. Once thats all verified good to go then you can work on modding tuning/clutching. Just make sure your working on a solid baseline first.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Zero lag on turbo? Ok if you say so, not one video is ever posted showing a turbos true lag. On/off throttle or in and out of boost is not the same as turbo lag. Let's see from a dead stop at idle to full throttle to determine lag. Some kits are better than others but to place a restriction in the system at idle vs no restriction and claim it's better than the no restriction doesn't make sense �� Not to mention your incoming air has to travel farther to get to the motor with less volume for a reserve.

When I get the opportunity we ride trees. In and out of throttle stop and goes ect. This year I had the opportunity to ride my TRS boondocker Pro with TRS clutching back to back with a stock pro TRS clutching and one of your big bores.

The sled that had the best throttle response including from a dead stop was my turbo. Second was the stock sled with TRS clutching. Third was your big bore. A properly set up turbo is building boost before engagement. I am talking typical engagement. Not some raised engagement. No reason to have a laggy sled.

HEY TONY! Thanks for making our sleds naughty!!!!

Last edited:

Stroker Customs

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2002
CO
When I get the opportunity we ride trees. In and out of throttle stop and goes ect. This year I had the opportunity to ride my TRS boondocker Pro with TRS clutching back to back with a stock pro TRS clutching and one of your big bores.

The sled that had the best throttle response including from a dead stop was my turbo. Second was the stock sled with TRS clutching. Third was your big bore. A properly set up turbo is building boost before engagement. I am talking typical engagement. Not some raised engagement. No reason to have a laggy sled.

HEY TONY! Thanks for making our sleds naughty!!!!

Cmon now, I know you didn't ride one of my big bores unless you came to Colorado and stole my sled while I was gone! I have not personally built anyone a sled near you FYI
I also have never 3rd legged anyone's big bore kit as it is foolish to try and do with the profit margins in big bores. The only time I will sell a big bore is if I do a turn key sled. Therefore I can guarantee that you have never rode one of "MY" big bores nor seen one run. I am curious as to what you think your talking about though? What was this said big bore? I have also not built anyone a pro big bore and I know where my old mild to wild big bore kit is sitting!

Sorry didn't mean to derail the turbo lag thread to a big bore vs turbo thread but had to set the record straight. I do not pusuade anyone to go one way or another but I do try and give honest opinions of each. Some are so brand loyal it wouldn't matter what you told them!

Last edited:
S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
So you build your own motors, do the porting, set all the cylinder heights and the rest of the specs????

Stroker Customs

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2002
CO
So you build your own motors, do the porting, set all the cylinder heights and the rest of the specs????

You sure do know a lot don't you! What valuable information have you contributed to this guy asking for help? I think we all get that your sled is the best on the snow and just cause it has a certain name on it means all sleds run the same! Your a complete idiot and talk a lot of **** for someone that has never met me nor never seen anything I have done. Quit pretending you know who I am or what I'm about. You will never find anywhere that I claim I am an engine builder and have my own kit out. Bottom line is you can be the best engine builder in the world but if you can't put it to the ground then you don't have ****. Why are you using TRS clutching on a Boondocker turbo? Does that mean TRS is a turbo builder all the sudden? Is he selling TRS complete turbos now? You are the reason snowest has turned into what it is. People look for actual help and then it's full of know it all's like you that heard from a guy that knows a guy. Give me a break dude you have no clue who I am just cause you know a few people I have worked with so quit running your mouth about me. Sorry to drag Tony into this but Justin know's so much that it was just a reference. Kinda like VOHK built turboes, is he not using Boondocker's kit? Your an idiot!

Last edited:

black z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2014
MN
You sure do know a lot don't you! What valuable information have you contributed to this guy asking for help? I think we all get that your sled is the best on the snow and just cause it has a certain name on it means all sleds run the same! Your a complete idiot and talk a lot of **** for someone that has never met me nor never seen anything I have done. Quit pretending you know who I am or what I'm about. You will never find anywhere that I claim I am an engine builder and have my own kit out. Bottom line is you can be the best engine builder in the world but if you can't put it to the ground then you don't have ****. Why are you using TRS clutching on a Boondocker turbo? Does that mean TRS is a turbo builder all the sudden? Is he selling TRS complete turbos now? You are the reason snowest has turned into what it is. People look for actual help and then it's full of know it all's like you that heard from a guy that knows a guy. Give me a break dude you have no clue who I am just cause you know a few people I have worked with so quit running your mouth about me. Sorry to drag Tony into this but Justin know's so much that it was just a reference. Kinda like VOHK built turboes, is he not using Boondocker's kit? Your an idiot!

Might want to make another edit. You're*

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
Kalispell, MT
Wow. Haven't been on here in months and this if the first thing I read.

All I know is my turbo Axys with TRS (ish) clutching can drag the bumper from a standstill on flat ground without using the brake or any other gimmicks.

Yes turbos have lag, but if you clutch them properly you can certainly overcome it.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
I'm still waiting for my hall monitor sash

Spaarky and Stroker Customs---- Thank you for giving me something to do as a new Moderator in the Polaris section. I'm serious, I appreciate both your input to this thread.

BUT, and this goes for everyone, if this becomes a Poo-show of character and product assasinations, we will close this thread with apologies to the OP.

Let's get this thread back on track regarding "more bottom end".

To the OP, clutching is a can of worms full of compromises. So many factors go into the "feel" and performance. Along with all the different preferences of riders and companies building kits. Clutching solutions remind me of suspension solutions in the motorcycling world-- there are 50,000+ wrong combinations out there and 10 solutions that will achieve similar results with different approaches. Then you add that every tuner believes he has the holy grail and everyone else is an idiot. Oh, and forgot to mention the customer loyalists.....

In addition to mechanical differences (weights, springs, helix, etc), you have to look at motor mount condition (more of an issue in 2016 and later), belt deflection, belt to sheave side clearance, alignment, belt wear, belt stretch, etc. The "best kit" for your style and feel preferences will feel like a dog if everything else isn't adjusted properly.

Oh yeah, black z, the grammar comment-- awesome :)

Last edited:

Stroker Customs

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2002
CO
Spaarky and Stroker Customs---- Thank you for giving me something to do as a new Moderator in the Polaris section. I'm serious, I appreciate both your input to this thread.

BUT, and this goes for everyone, if this becomes a Poo-show of character and product assasinations, we will close this thread with apologies to the OP.

Let's get this thread back on track regarding "more bottom end".

To the OP, clutching is a can of worms full of compromises. So many factors go into the "feel" and performance. Along with all the different preferences of riders and companies building kits. Clutching solutions remind me of suspension solutions in the motorcycling world-- there are 50,000+ wrong combinations out there and 10 solutions that will achieve similar results with different approaches. Then you add that every tuner believes he has the holy grail and everyone else is an idiot. Oh, and forgot to mention the customer loyalists.....

In addition to mechanical differences (weights, springs, helix, etc), you have to look at motor mount condition (more of an issue in 2016 and later), belt deflection, belt to sheave side clearance, alignment, belt wear, belt stretch, etc. The "best kit" for your style and feel preferences will feel like a dog if everything else isn't adjusted properly.

Oh yeah, black z, the grammar comment-- awesome :)

With all the proof reading comments you would think the moral of the story would have been received. Last I checked I was on topic until somehow big bores came up in the thread and I was automatically linked to these big bores. Also never once did I bash a product, just used a few as references saying nothing bad or good about them. You don't have to delete the OP's thread, you can delete me from snowest. Pretty sure I have already mentioned half of your statements about finding remedies for the OP. I said my peace and will stay off from now on

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
With all the proof reading comments you would think the moral of the story would have been received. Last I checked I was on topic until somehow big bores came up in the thread and I was automatically linked to these big bores. Also never once did I bash a product, just used a few as references saying nothing bad or good about them. You don't have to delete the OP's thread, you can delete me from snowest. Pretty sure I have already mentioned half of your statements about finding remedies for the OP. I said my peace and will stay off from now on

Stroker-- I DO appreciate your input.

The "grammar" comment I just personally found funny (having been the son of an elementary school teacher)-- Part of the problem with conversations that are read versus spoken--sometimes the intent gets lost.

In no way was I trying to attack you personally. I totally agree that you did not bash another product. It was the "your a complete idiot and talk a lot of s***" is what I was trying to reign in. Pretty easy for threads to run off the rails this time of year.

I wasn't going to delete the thread, just lock it for a "cooling off period".

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD

Why don't you call me so we can discuss it. I am sure you can get my number.

For helping MNIqr.... If I could get my hands on his sled. I would gladly help.

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
whoa, easy ladies, haven't checked this thread in a while.

I ran 19/45 the rest of the season and it helped, a lot, but it's still not where I want it. Need more/stronger backshift.

Really think I may need some help tuning my box.

Would I be crazy to build it into a ssi 860 or carls 900? turbo would stay.

Premium Features