• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help Phazers Down

B
Dec 6, 2016
Minden, NV
A little back story. I was given 2 1995 Phazer II ST sleds about 2 years ago. Previous owner took great care of them but passed away. One of the sleds was built by Bender Racing with ported cylinders, different carbs and both sled have Bender pipes. While I am not new to powersports I am new to sleds. Last year while riding I burnt the piston on one sled and the Bender sled lost a wristpin clip and destroyed the cylinder. I replaced the bad cylinder on the Bender sled and was able to ride some more. The other sled stayed down because I believe it has a bad crank seal and the oil injector pump gear is shot(was running premix). This past weekend while out riding the Bender sled died. After a quick teardown I find that the lower rod bearing on the replaced cylinder is shot.
So here I am with 2 great looking, well maintained Phazers, that do not run. I am not sure I have the will to rebuild both engines. I need someone to really convince me that it is worth it to rebuild them, or even one for that matter. I have also recently run into an opportunity to buy Arctic Cat T660(non-turbo) sleds for $500 a piece. They are touring sleds used by an adventure company and were meticulously maintained. I bought 1 and rode it last week. It is no powder machine but it ran great. It even towed the phazer, myself and 4 kids about 3 miles back to the truck on Saturday without any hesitation or a burnt belt. I am considering picking up 2 more and just have fun with the kids.
Please help me decide. Either part out both Phazers or do major engine work like crank rebuild, cylinder boring, case reseal, etc. I am not sure even where to start or who can help me on the technical stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_1277.jpg
    IMG_1277.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1279.jpg
    IMG_1279.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1281.jpg
    IMG_1281.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1282.jpg
    IMG_1282.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
B
Dec 6, 2016
Minden, NV
Most of my decision will stem around $$$. Are the sled worth more in parts that as running machines? What will it cost to have someone rebuild the crank? Is there a machine shop out there that is not charging an arm and leg to bore a cylinder?
And also how do I figure out why they both went down? Was it something I did or just bum luck? Sleds are being used in same location as original owner so jetting/clutch should not need changing.

K3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2010
Portland,Oregon
Most of my decision will stem around $$$. Are the sled worth more in parts that as running machines? What will it cost to have someone rebuild the crank? Is there a machine shop out there that is not charging an arm and leg to bore a cylinder?
And also how do I figure out why they both went down? Was it something I did or just bum luck? Sleds are being used in same location as original owner so jetting/clutch should not need changing.
I would try to fix, or buy a parts sled w/low 2K mi. or less motor @ $4 or $500 and hope to get 6K or 7K miles before boring out!!! Can not beat a GOOD old phazer IMO !!!! Hope this helps . l<>l

A

AMAX

Dec 22, 2014
Good sleds but hard to justify spending too much on them. I see decent ones going for $500 - $900.

The two options for me would be sell them as is or as K3 suggested keep an eye out for a sleds with a donor motor. I don't have one but while researching old Yamaha stuff for my kids Ovation, there is a ton of info on Phazers on the net. They sold a bunch of these and a lot of guys have been keeping them going

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Buy a beat up Phazer for the engine and put in BUT LOSE THE PIPES! Phazer ran forever stock but once you get to modding them they go boom. Old Ventures had that engine also. My brother may have parts for you and lives in southern Idaho I will message you his number

B
Dec 6, 2016
Minden, NV
Thanks for the replies. I want to keep them running because they are fun to throw around and can get me anywhere I want to go. It is just hard to drop $4-500 into a sled than will never be worth $1000. That is why I do most of my own work to keep maintenance costs down. I am pretty sure I can not do the crank job this one will need. I am contemplating tearing both down and built up 1 runner. New gaskets and seals, best pieces of both sleds and keep the other as a parts machine. I do need help deciding what parts are the best. Stock or upgraded carbs?

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
If it only runs you about 500 to get them running, I'd go for it! Those sleds are great, I've been kinda keeping an eye out for one to get my son since he has outgrown his 120.

Back in the day those mod phasers were more fun than you could shake a stick at. Long track 144", custom tunnel extensions...

If you do decide to get rid of them though, let me know as I live just over the pass from you.

B
Dec 6, 2016
Minden, NV
Selling them off as is as a set is a possibility. I believe that someone who is familiar and capable with the issues of each engine could get them both running again with little input. One needs crank seals and oil pump gear and the other needs a rod replaced. The parts are relatively inexpensive and available. I am a self proclaimed mechanic and would tackle the job if I thought I had the right help to get me past the finer details of these builds, but currently I have not found that person/group.

Can I replace the rod with a press at home? What special tool would I need?

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
I know for the bigger sleds we usually ship the cranks off to be worked on. I'll jump into most things but I wouldn't rebuild a crank in my garage with the tools/press I have.

You can always pull the motors out and put them on the workbench to fix when you get to them. You can always watch e-bay for motors/parts as well.

B
Dec 6, 2016
Minden, NV
Looks like my luck may have just kicked in. Last night I picked up 2 Phazers and an SRV(for free). Phazers are 1985 and 1986 by their VIN numbers. SVR is 1984. Did not have much time but a simple pull of the starter rope gave a good feel on the compression of each sled. Under hood visual inspection shows clean unmolested engines. Mileage is low on each sled 1,600 and 2,200. One was stored inside with a cover, other was outside no cover. After some basic checking like compression and spark I will clean carbs and put fresh fuel in them to see if I can get them to run. If they both run I plan to put their engines in my 1995 frames. Are there any differences that I should be aware of between these years? What should I do with the SVR?

Last edited:
B
Dec 6, 2016
Minden, NV
Started tear down of one of the older Phazers. I got 120psi on both of the cylinders and the sled fired up after a few pulls on the rope. Gas is at least 3 years old so it ran terrible, but it ran. I pulled the motor and cleaned the carbs last night. I started the tear down of one of the 1995 Phazers. The dilemma that I am having is how many performance parts to I switch to the "new" motor? I have Bender pipes, dual stage fiber reeds and aftermarket carbs. With a 2" lug track am I going to need the performance mods? I am tempted to run the motor stock for now and add the mods as time goes by to see how they help. How does jetting change for each mod? Do I need to change jetting for a reed upgrade?

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Phazer

Based on our experience:
"I have Bender pipes" (yes - Up jetting 10 from stock),
"dual stage fiber reeds" (yes - same jetting)
"and aftermarket carbs." (maybe not - finicky)
"With a 2" lug track am I going to need the performance mods?"
(NO, just gear down accordingly - 16/33 or 15/35 depending on driver)

B
Dec 6, 2016
Minden, NV
I did not put the aftermarket carbs on the old motor because of the cables to the oil pump. Still have not figured out how to get the oil pump set up with new cables. A couple rides with the 1985 motor show a very lean mid-range so a little shot of choke got me thru the day. Idle and top end seem to run very well. Looks like I need to get new main jets that are +10 over the ones I have and ditch the gutted air box(probably most of my problem). We are putting the second spare in the other sled now. Just a bender pipe on this one for upgrades.

B
Dec 6, 2016
Minden, NV
Second 1995 Phazer is in process, donor motor(1985) had 120psi on both cylinders and started on many year old gas. This sled will only get a Bender pipe if I can find larger jets(125 main currently). If not I will run stock pipe until I can find them.
This time around I am making my boys do all the work, they are 13 and 15. I will stand and watch them but if they want to ride they have to wrench.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Have you got a shop manual for the Phazers? That should tell you how to set the oil pump up. If you don't have one, send me a PM. I'm fairly certain I got a copy of the manual when I did a complete rebuild on my son's phazer a few years ago.

B
Dec 6, 2016
Minden, NV
I do have an electronic copy of a shop manual for these sleds. I reviewed the oil pump specs and adjustments. As much as I have heard about modifying these sled and how it affects the life span I am more inclined to leave them stock. Since I purchased an RMK800 and the Phazers will become kids sleds or spares maybe stock is not so bad.

Premium Features