• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'06 Rider select delete

H

hurleyboarder21

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2003
Snohomish, WA
I have an 06 600, and riding last weekend, the rider select finally shattered on me. The crappy plastic pieces used in the rider select all cracked, and the bars now "float". I called timbersled, and they only make them for the 05. Any other suggestions? I really don't want to use another rider select....

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I'm pretty sure Holz makes one, but theirs is locked in the 4 position ...

I'd prefer the 5-6 position myself ...

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
yea i actually ride in number 7... im all about rider forward. I called them today but they are closed. I will try them tomorrow.

There is a guy on here named WildChild ... I know he makes steering posts, but I don't know for sure if he has anything for an IQ rider-select delete ... might PM him and ask him.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Holz no longer makes one.

Timbersled no longer offers just the plate.

Two options.

Vanamburg eng may make one still... a bit pricey @ $175
Not on their website but give Mike a call, talk to Mike directly... (509) 225-6681... Call early its Friday.
VEsteeringsupport.jpg

OR you can make your own... just like the Holz.... which uses the Poaris Edge steerig post bearing [ part numbers 5133648 (qty 1, housing) and 5432785 (qty 2, bushings) and a zerk fitting 7080510 ] and a piece of angle aluminum cut to size... you could have a local fab shop press-break you a piece.

Here is a pic of the Holz part. I'd probably extend the plate back a bit more to use the second set of tapped holes in the steering hoop.
holzsteeringmount.jpg

BTW... do you ride the Hurley in BC?

Last edited:

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
So basically there is nobody making one of these now for the 2006 IQ sleds?

Great ... guess I should have ordered one last year.

I saw on TimberSled's website they made an entire steering column, but that was for the 2005 sleds, not the 2006 ones..

If VE made one I'd order it today .... I just wanna make sure I get one.

I was planning on doing one this winter but a bunch of other **** happening prevented me from doing so :(

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
The 2005 and the 2006 have a different jackshaft location and 2 more injectors on th e2006...

The straight posts wont clear the 2006 injectors... so...

The timbersled kit gets rid of the 2 piece steering post and u-joint and positions the shaft in about the 4.5 position.

The "kits" most are talking about keep the steering posts and get rid of the plastic top bearing/adjuster "rider select" mechanism.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Northern California
You guys are nuts!

Just order the new parts from Polaris and rebuild the rider select.

I use the crap outa' my rider select, probably my favorite thing about my 900. I'm not interested in going down the trail with my arms up like a Harley biker....

I find it very interesting to see Arctic Cat and Ski Doo introducing easy adjustable risers....and yet you guys are trying to remove a system that works, that the manufacturers are trying to re-incorporate in their sleds...

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
dunno, being plastic parts i don't find it a real good idea on a mountain sled... my eliminator kit ran about $12 from Ace Hardware.... Not the best, but it does work

S
You guys are nuts!

Just order the new parts from Polaris and rebuild the rider select.

I use the crap outa' my rider select, probably my favorite thing about my 900. I'm not interested in going down the trail with my arms up like a Harley biker....

I find it very interesting to see Arctic Cat and Ski Doo introducing easy adjustable risers....and yet you guys are trying to remove a system that works, that the manufacturers are trying to re-incorporate in their sleds...
I also love my rider select, I use it all the time and now i wouldnt immagine riding without it. If mine breaks i will just order the parts to fix it. not a big deal

crix

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
SaVaGe, MiNnEsOtA
If you guys just steal mules idea you can get the grease zirc/steering post bushing with a zirc from polaris just get some small angle aluminum and a few quick holes and your done then just get a peice of plastic to cover it and your done.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast

If you are leaving the post and just switching the top mount... I agree that the factory adjuster is a good way to go.... A PITA to replace with the screws underneath the hoop though.

If you are keeping the post, the weight diff is minimal... might as well have the adjustment feature

The facory part is $55.

As for the AC and Doo adjustment.... they adjust the RISE, not the Position. and really dont add much weight like the heavy rider select shaft and brackets...

If you are making one, I suggest making the bottom plate as long as possible... the sheet metal on the top of the steering post is not that thick... better to distribute the load over a wider area with more bolts (the stock holes are 1/4")... even bigger than the Holz unit

Has anyone called Mike VanAmburg???

Last edited:
R
Nov 27, 2007
Northern California
If you are leaving the post and just switching the top mount... I agree that the factory adjuster is a good way to go.... A PITA to replace with the screws underneath the hoop though.

If you are keeping the post, the weight diff is minimal... might as well have the adjustment feature

The facory part is $55.

As for the AC and Doo adjustment.... they adjust the RISE, not the Position. and really dont add much weight like the heavy rider select shaft and brackets...

If you are making one, I suggest making the bottom plate as long as possible... the sheet metal on the top of the steering post is not that thick... better to distribute the load over a wider area with more bolts (the stock holes are 1/4")... even bigger than the Holz unit

Has anyone called Mike VanAmburg???

Last time I checked, the Artic Cat system at least, the adjustable riser was for the pitch, not the heigth. When you pull the tensioner, you can push the bars forward, or pull them back, like the rider select.

I could care less that the rider select adds a couple of pounds more than a delete kit, but I'm also not weight "crazy" like some people...

H

hurleyboarder21

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2003
Snohomish, WA
Its not the adjustablity i don't like about the rider select, its the crappy plastic parts that i hate. I hardly ever adjust it, in fact, i can't rememeber the last time i did. I don't know about other peoples rider select system, but mine has always been kind of sloppy. Hopefully using a solid non adjustable bracket will tighten things up.

Premium Features