• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

J
Nov 29, 2010
AK
If pol doesn't paint the tunnels on the new slee they are makng a huge error

You nailed it! I've never owned a Poo but its looking awefully tempting for 16 but after having a powdercoated 15M i find myself refreshed after powder riding instead of kicking, scraping, fighting the snowbuild up of a non coated tunnel with full coolers! No more noncoated for me forever:face-icon-small-ton

M

minet

Nov 26, 2007
Hydrophobic and iceophobic are separate issues.. but have you actually used a normal HIGH GLOSS spray paint under your tunnel?.

I have done a bit of research on the subject myself. . I.found a lot aboit it i. Use for electric power lines.. when they get ice built up on them they snap and customers lose power/electricity. .. was not a ton of options

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Hydrophobic and iceophobic are separate issues.. but have you actually used a normal HIGH GLOSS spray paint under your tunnel?.

I have done a bit of research on the subject myself. . I.found a lot aboit it i. Use for electric power lines.. when they get ice built up on them they snap and customers lose power/electricity. .. was not a ton of options

I'm sure it would work better if you painted a bare aluminum tunnel. Other easy spray on products don't last. The problem with painting a tunnel after the sled is manufactured is that it is a lot of work to strip it and prep the surface so it will last.

Never heard of the powerline paint. Must be something they only use on smaller, covered distribution wires. Normally you want the conducting wires completely bare.

C

CatndHat

Nov 8, 2003
Snowville WY
Carbon fibre tunnel and a 121" x 3" will get this down to 321#s full of gas
and reliable as 72 evinrude.

I think cat will pull the Suzi Mtn 800 di motor with a 162 3" PC option out of its hat in next 10 days or lose another 31 dealerships country wide.

HPIM6771.jpg

ranger12

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2012
Dickinson ND
Does anybody remember or know how much weight difference there was in the Suzuki 600 to the Cat DI 600? Just wondering if the Cat DI 800 will weigh more or less than the Suzuki 800.

ranger12

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2012
Dickinson ND
A hood that is easier to take off or open up would be nice. Was that on a sled that is supposed to be unveiled in the near future, or somebody's sled that they did a modification to?

C
Dec 11, 2013
There was 2 sleds with the hoods flipped up that looked like the proclimb chassis, that's all I could see. . It's was from the highway and they have no trespass posted everywhere so. We didn't stop. . They do have one that is all Arctic cat green side panels and everything, it sure stood out.

ArcticChat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2014
S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
from jacobs scaling looks like the cats same weight as the polaris up front, all the extra weights in the rear. a new lightweight skid and lighter tunnel would solve that...

ranger12

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2012
Dickinson ND
I thought that somebody had a Polaris 800 and a Suzuki 800 lying on the bench and the Suzuki 800 weighed almost 15 pounds more than the Poo motor. I will see if I can find it and add it in here. He stated that a cat would be really close to a Polaris in weight if cat could get their motor weight down and add a belt drive. Let me see what I can find.

ranger12

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2012
Dickinson ND
So many times we see the Arctic Cat mountain sleds demonized because of heavier weight the Polaris Pro RMK. We also tend to agree that the Suzuki built 800 in the Arctic Cat is the preferred engine. That Suzuki built 800 engine is 18 pounds heavier than the Polaris 800. Add in the three pound heavier drive clutch which is weighted to properly balance the heavier crank in the Arctic Cat and 21 pounds of the difference in the two sleds is found in just the engines. Seven pounds more of the difference in the two sleds is in the exhaust silencers. Just swapping engines and exhaust would leave the Pro Climb lighter than a standard RMK by a fair amount, and maybe a bit lighter than a Pro RMK.
<!-- / message -->
This is the statement that the guy had about the weights of the motors. I still would not want a Polaris motor in my Cat. I would rather deal with the extra weight of the motor and pull weight from other places and have a reliable engine. It is interesting when you think about it, if the DI Cat 800 was as light as the Poo 800 how much difference it would make to start out with on a new sled and then start dropping weight in other places.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I know that when cat went to the DI 600 motor, they lightened the crank up like the 800 already did in 2010. There's 4lbs of the weight difference right there so I wouldn't hope for a 8lb weight reduction just in converting the 800 to DI.

It seemed there was a way to make the Diamond S hoods flip open forward on the proclimb. Is it possible you saw two sleds with this mod? Did they look like mesh hoods or solid?

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
....That Suzuki built 800 engine is 18 pounds heavier than the Polaris 800. Add in the three pound heavier drive clutch which is weighted to properly balance the heavier crank in the Arctic Cat and 21 pounds of the difference in the two sleds is found in just the engines. Seven pounds more of the difference in the two sleds is in the exhaust silencers. Just swapping engines and exhaust would leave the Pro Climb lighter than a standard RMK by a fair amount, and maybe a bit lighter than a Pro RMK.
<!-- / message -->
This is the statement that the guy had about the weights of the motors....QUOTE]

Cat Spec sheet on my '14, 162 PC showed 470 lbs so it will take more than 28 lbs to get to the 435 of a standard RMK. To remain competitive, Cat definitely would benefit from a cleaner motor with better mpg, maybe a little hp and less weight would be great. Combined with a few other chassis mods, exhaust mods, and maybe a belt drive and cat could shed the weight of the "heavy sled" problem that drags down sales regardless of performance. I can't imagine why they wouldn't at least set a goal to be within 20 lbs or so of the lightest competitor and then sell the idea they have a more durable, but almost as light sled. If they're within 20 lbs who is going to care. It's the current +40 lbs that's a problem. My guess is you'll see most of this by '17, but not likely this year...been wrong before.

C
Apr 10, 2009
I find it very very hard to believe there is that much weight difference between the Cat 800 and Polaris 800 just in the engine alone. That to be 25%. Seems impossible.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I find it very very hard to believe there is that much weight difference between the Cat 800 and Polaris 800 just in the engine alone. That to be 25%. Seems impossible.

Ever looked at the two side by side? The Cat engine is much beefier looking just from the outside.

Premium Features