• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

153 or 162?

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
BCIL, I'm 57, so when I referenced getting back on here in about 20 years, well you get the idea. When you say 10 more years of going hard, I agree with that and then some. I hope all of us can do this as long as possible, it's been a way of life for me, been riding every year since 1969. The sleds get more capable, we get older and the riding gets more physically demanding. My thoughts are that the 153 is going to be less tiring for me and therefore I will be able to perform better. I hope I am right, otherwise I will be spring ordering again sooner than I am planning to right now. :beer;

I'm hoping I can maintain the level I'm at for another 18 years & still be having fun at 57... that would be cool!

I know I won't be in the shape I am now, at 57 (though I know a ton of guys around here that are in better shape than me and are older than that :face-icon-small-dis guess I need to work on that!)

Obviously I don't think I'll still be on a 141 or 146 at 60 or whatever, so clearly this is all relative. Either way, go ride a sled and have fun. The only sleds I haven't enjoyed riding have been 162's though, so when people ask... and they haven't had the chance to try for themselves, I think someone needs to tell them that yes, there IS a downside to going longer.

Lifetime Membership
Apr 27, 2002
Spooner, WI 54801
www.4seasons.com
lmao
AV8er, don't forget I rode the exact sled you are with a 153 and a 162 with the same kmod setup, I'll take the 153 anyday on that sled.
and
Prove It!
because there must be bunch of sally's in cooke for me to be the one laying down the high line on the steep chit on a stock powered 153. This year I have been into places no one has ever attempted, loving it. I've had turbos roll up and leave, had guys ask how much boost I'm running. The cat reps actually asked my buddy that this year. Must be all rider if its not the sled I guess. lol and I'm the heavier guy wtf.

maybe I'll drop down to a 146 skinnied up xm next year to make it fair, sounds like a lot of fun to me. Once I got a turbo the biggest thing I figured out was there is no riding once at the top of the hill, the riding is in between and I really dont care if I make it there because it will be impressive either way (yet I still make it when some turbos don't), I ride to have fun and advance myself. going shorter does just that.

Next time I'm in Cooke can you please give me a clinic?

I would love to see some of these spots you talk about, that no one has ever seen before!

Have you ever been up here? First picture is from the top second is taken from the opposing Mt top showing where we just came from.

KJP

100_1360.jpg 100_1366.jpg

Last edited:
C

Cryme_Ariver

Mar 5, 2013
Steamboat Springs CO
Just curious what you consider young? I'm almost 40, and can't see backing off for at least another 10 years or so. Age is a relative thing. someone who's 18 thinks a 30 year old is ancient...

But of course, a 65 year old won't ride the same way as a 20 yr old, though I know guys who are closer to 50 who still ride pretty hard, riding serious technical terrain. Btw, of those guys, I can't think of any that ride a 162 now that I think about it. Most ride 53, 54 or 55's.

We have on guy in our group in that is in his later 50's. and over the past couple of years of riding with him I have realized he's settled down a "little" bit. But this "old guy" sure still knows how to get just about anywhere he wants to go. And yes, he is on a 163". The only reason I went with the 162" this is is because if an old guy like him can throw his sled around like a pair of gloves, ride trees like some of the best out there, amd navigate through some of the toughest terrain? Then I think I can manage and anyone in that case can manage a 162" just fine. You can't go wrong either way. It's snowmobiling we are talking about here.... You're going to have fun!:face-icon-small-hap

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Next time I'm in Cooke can you please give me a clinic?

I would love to see some of these spots you talk about, that no one has ever seen before!

Have you ever been up here? First picture is from the top second is taken from the opposing Mt top showing where we just came from.

KJP

Really, have I been there? weak
Yes I've been there, was up there in 05 on a mountain cat, and I've got there from multiple spots, the chute (middle right where your tracks are, there is a line up the wilderness boundary to the right, fun line (not in wilderness) and on the far end (left) where the avy danger is. I ride with cooke veterans and I know cooke, when I say I am getting into places no one else does its legit and those that say otherwise are nearly weak minded individuals that can't conceive pushing beyond the limits until someone else does, but apparently there is no way some guy on SW could do it. I have also never stated that anyone else can't do it, but they don't, why I don't know. Even though I've hit a lot of cooke there are still a places I find and know of that no one has tackled yet. Mostly because of the new sleds and the ability to go farther along with not being scared to try it, sometimes it results in a heII of a stuck in the trees. But what else you going to do go hit the same chit over and over agian, that just aint me. I would rather wind up in the trees.

One of the best riders around here is in his 50's or maybe close to 60, he rides a lot and right now would out do me on average but doesn't go to the extreme I do. He rides a 162 turbo and a 153 stocker and was quit impressed with how fun and capable the 153 was.

Good thing we have one thread to argue about. lol

Last edited:
B

brendan ross

Dec 1, 2007
pine pass area b.c. canada
ive rode lots of both my 156 3'' competes with a 162 no problem the 153 is more fun but my next sled will be a 162 just for the fact is it takes less effort and trys to get somewhere in deep pow but then again the most fun I ever had on a sled was my 05 m7 141 it was interesting everywhere you went and I loved the challenge but in our area the trees are super tight and the extra floatation allows you to slow down a little more wich makes things easier after I ride a 162 for a year I might change my mind but in the end you wont be dissapointed

WaBackcountry

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Orondo, WA
HUH? Try a complete sentence.

You make a point of being a douche & quoting my posts 4 times in a row... just to be a douche? If you've got nothing to ad, just go the F away.

It's a discussion, either discuss, or shut up. Being a tool for the sake of it serves no purpose.

My phone shut off while typing Kaleb. Jesus man you'd think I was sticking ur wife or something. I added plenty and provided some good input on what I have seen first hand. I did so with out having to talk about how rad I am. I also did not question anyones skills or ability because I don't have clue and I don't care. I am not hear to argue and insult or toot my own horn. Have fun doing what you doo.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
My phone shut off while typing Kaleb. Jesus man you'd think I was sticking ur wife or something. I added plenty and provided some good input on what I have seen first hand. I did so with out having to talk about how rad I am. I also did not question anyones skills or ability because I don't have clue and I don't care. I am not hear to argue and insult or toot my own horn. Have fun doing what you doo.

Sorry... when you make a point of being a tool, and trying to be insulting, you're going to get it back.

I'm also not questioning anyone's skills, but unless you live in another dimension, skill IS a factor. Yes, I know I'm an above average rider...I'd hope that most folks who spend the time we do talking about sleds, also are spending the time RIDING them as well, and would also be in the same class.

I don't assume you're not a solid rider, and are somehow beneath me... I assume you ARE. It's unreal how much people have to dance around the reality of riding sleds.

S

snow-seeker

Nov 26, 2007
Olds Alberta
Well all of this has been quite entertaining, but I have always been the guy to run the 125 against the 250's, traded in my 450 to go to a 250 and so forth. I have always tried to go bigger better, but end up coming back to the smaller machine for the maneuverability. And besides if I really want to I will snitch rails and track up to the 162 later.

Thanks everyone for your input. I am going to stick with the 153.

F
Nov 1, 2008
Wyo im available on sat. It'd be nice to see you put me to shame instead of spouting all your nonsense behind your keyboard. I'm riding a stock 2012 800 153 with 13 updates, exit shocks and ti springs the only mod so this should be pretty even ...except for your riding skills. Lol

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Wyo im available on sat. It'd be nice to see you put me to shame instead of spouting all your nonsense behind your keyboard. I'm riding a stock 2012 800 153 with 13 updates, exit shocks and ti springs the only mod so this should be pretty even ...except for your riding skills. Lol

Where are we going, and a sticker doesn't count as a sponsor.

Last edited:
F
Nov 1, 2008
Aren't you confident? What would a rider of your caliber accept as terms of sponsorship? I think a sticker might be a good place to start. Heck you should have no trouble turning that sticker into a full ride in no time with your mad skills. You've told us all way too many times how bad a%# you are.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
not trying to stick up for wyoboy or anything, but i can see where he's comin from when he's talkin about goin places no one else goes. i can honestly say the same thing about goin places no one else goes and i usually ride a pretty mellow area compared to alot of folks on here. it has alot to do with the "flock of sheep" mentality where everyone hits the same popular areas over and over because they refuse to have a bit of adventure. we've found some pretty sweet spots that we've never seen another track in just because of curiosity and wondering whats on the other side of this patch of trees or whats over that hill. we just pick a directiin, jump into the trees and see what we find. ya, sometimes it doesnt work out but either way its alot more fun than just hitting fhe "popular" spots. alot of folks would be surprised what they'd find if they got off the beaten path. as for my rider abilities, im no chris burandt but i can get into and out of some terrain that most the guys i ride with wont even try on my 153 but its mostly mental and they've already convinced themselves they cant do it before they even try.

p.s.-not sayin ya'll are sheep that just stick to the beaten path, but alot of folks dont know what they're missing by not tryin somethin new or pushin thereself like wyoboy is talkin.

Premium Features