• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Motor mounts

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
See what im talking about that motor mount looks like its got a wear mark of bottoming out, when i land a jump i swear i feel a small clunk sometimes like my motors moving but might just be feeling this motor mount hitting the chassis??

Is this motor mount and wear mark on the bulkhead normal or is that motor mount loose?

a6cd8ca6-f362-6a71.jpg

a6cd8ca6-f370-6d1c.jpg

a6cd8ca6-f37d-c1e2.jpg

C

Cat Bandit

Mar 4, 2009
Looks to me to be moving around, unless there is a little kid running around drawing black circles next to your motor mounts;)

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
hahaha or is it the rubber touching it when it flexes down from landing a jump? we will see what cat says tomorrow.

i fell off the sled with my tether on, the tether was slightly wrapped around the pull cord, pulled it out just enough to grenade my recoil..... lovely.... and piss *** poor spot for the tether cause i cant tell you how many times i have unwound it from the pull rope handle...

first for everything! lol

-Aksnopro

G
Jan 18, 2012
Looks to me to be moving around, unless there is a little kid running around drawing black circles next to your motor mounts;)

Id be interested in finding out if there is a stonger Durometer rubber. correct me if i said that wrong. But has anyone bought, made, or installed different motor mounts instead of messing with the TCL

K

Kbakbmr

Nov 28, 2009
Palmer, AK
I put a 70 Duro kevlar mag side motor mount on my sled. My primary went from moving about a 1/4" at idle to not moving at all. There's a little more vibration transferred to the bars at idle but once you get on it the vibration is gone. Definitely helped

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
Stock the motor flops around like a dieing fish. I also added a heavier durometer to the TCL and the rear mag mount as well. Then I tightened all the bottom mounts which were all very loose. Made a big difference in how much the engine moves but I do have more shake and vibration at idle now.

Nov 29, 2007
wasifulus alaska
loose mounts would explain the change in deflection.very good point.if the moter is flooping like what i see here that also might explain wy some are blowing belts and some not.i will be taking my skid plate off and looking.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Easy to see if you have one of those inspection cameras to look at your piston wash.

I have the same marks but no clunk sounds (yet??).

I went to the trouble of checking my C to C and distance of the TCL to the cross-member every ride for while to see if things changed. They did not on my sled.

I watched some very quality looking engine and TCL stabilization products and mods go across this screen this winter. I don't hear or see a consensus yet.

Last edited:
C

CatRpillar

Oct 9, 2011
Wild Rose Country
Isn't it supposed to be in contact when it's static like that? Are others who replaced theirs finding them looking like that too? If that's the case I must be missing something. I'll have to get the scope out and look at mine.

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
Well Ive had a few PM's about the mounts I built so here's the deal.

I used two 60 duro mounts up front, Part# 0608-404 and I used two 50 duros in the back, Part# 0608-405 (One replaces the Mag side mount and the other replaces the TCL). The mount on the TCL needs to be machined to allow the bolt to be counter sunk into it and also for the proper thickness.You also need to take some measurements to make sure it is pressed into the TCL the proper distance so you wont effect alignment.

Now on the front mounts I used 2.5 by 3/8 flat bar aluminum, (in retrospect its a little on the beefy side) Then you just need to machine a 2" hole to hold the rubber mount, they are interference fit and the easiest way to put them together is to put the mount in the freezer and the aluminum in the oven at 300, then if your fast they will slide right in. To mount these to the motor you can either fab up something out of angle aluminum or buy the front mounts off of the M8's Part# 0608-549.

This makes a huge difference in how much movement there is (its now comparable to my m1000 with extra mounts) but it does transmit a lot more vibration at idle. I dont have any definitive answers as to how it effected belt life b/c of some motor trouble on the last trip, belt temps are still very high and I did pull some cords on one belt, but it was in rough shape before hand.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I am confused, is there supposed to be a gap between the mounts and aluminum?
I have had a clunk since day one, when coasting into choppy corners on teh trail. I thought it was a loose track smacking the tunnel, or something sloppy in the suspension/ski. Guess I should look at motor mounts. .

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
me too i notice it when i hit hard on a bump beating down the trail. something seems loose up front.

if i let off the throttle and hit the upside of the next rut ill hear a brutal sounding clack i feel it in the chassis on my feet and it feels like its coming from up front.

that motor has to be moving 1/4 down in order to hit that aluminum.

kbak did you pickup that motor mount from anchorage suzuki?

-Aksnopro

C

CatRpillar

Oct 9, 2011
Wild Rose Country
Like was stated early in RKT's big thread on blowing belts, check the motor mounts. That spacing just doesn't make sense. Those motor mounts shouldn't be set up like bumper stops. And there's no way the TCL can control things as designed with loose motor mounts.

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
I still have that same noise and i know my mounts are tight. Mine happens when i get in and out of the throttle on a hard big pull. Sounds like metal on metal bang/clang, at first i thought it was the secondary touching the clutch cover but that wasn't it, still cant find the cause.

Last edited:

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I wonder if that is the nasty sound my clutch was making when moving the sheaves around? Or if your clutch is banging liek they do when going from forward to reverse?

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
I wonder if that is the nasty sound my clutch was making when moving the sheaves around? Or if your clutch is banging liek they do when going from forward to reverse?

Its not the clunk you get from the rollers leaving the ramp. Different noise, more metallic, at least mine is.

Premium Features