• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Are you for it, Pro vs M8-PC, should cat make the changes

would you like to see the changes listed.

• Yes, I would like to see the changes made or at least an option

Votes: 138 87.9%
  • No, I like it how it is

Votes: 19 12.1%

• Total voters
S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
Wyoboy, when are they gonna make a movie out of you?

He would greet an untimely demise in the end. That's what happens to all the cocky superheroes.

I didn't vote because your poll is flawed, I suspect many that voted didn't agree with all your changes but voted anyway:ranger:

yup.

But you would still make changes, thats the bigger picture.

Who wouldn't change something about their
Sled?

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
I'm with WyoBoy.

Many of you that do not understand or disagree about the narrowness of the sled simply do not sidehill on the degree of slope that some of us do.

I'm on an M7 now but will be buying my first new sled next year. I love Arctic Cat. I'm buying a Pro. The Proclimb simply cannot cut sidehills and maintain control through the trees on super steep slopes.

The body panels wash out, you can't counter steer enough to maintain your line, the bars are too high(plus I HATE the adjustable post. I cannot stand the slop.) Tunnel width goes hand in hand with panel width. On the steep stuff, it doesnt allow the track to sink into the hill, it just washes it out. Skis are too narrow too but that's fixable.

I did like the sled for its front suspension when I rode it in CO this year. I do not know if the spindles have much to do with technical riding though, didn't have time to really try and notice. They definitely do plow through the snow a lot of the time, but so do all sleds. The Pro spindles are a little wider with close a-arms so snow might actually be restricted more through that area than on the M with it skinnier spindle and wider a-arms.

Polaris uses the same bulkhead all around too. Cat SHOULD have copied Pol and used different foot stirrups for the mtn and flatland sleds. Then design a panel that sucks up to the frame as much as possible. With a narrower foot stirrup on the mtn segment, they could match that with a reg tunnel and narrower boards. And yeah a tapered tunnel is great for those that boondock and play in the meadows all day. I'm on one running board dang near all the time when I'm actually "riding" and not just messing around at the bottom.

Let me add that I have found that the majority of people do not ride like this. My whole riding group does. We were in CO for 5 days of riding and not once did we line up any sleds and race them up a hill or on the flats. We also drove right past all the meadows open stuff. Once Cat gets the belt issues solved, this sled will be great for the majority of riders. Just not this guy.

Last edited:
S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
I'm with WyoBoy.

Many of you that do not understand or disagree about the narrowness of the sled simply do not sidehill on the degree of slope that some of us do.

I'm on an M7 now but will be buying my first new sled next year. I love Arctic Cat. I'm buying a Pro. The Proclimb simply cannot cut sidehills and maintain control through the trees on super steep slopes.

The body panels wash out, you can't counter steer enough to maintain your line, the bars are too high(plus I HATE the adjustable post. I cannot stand the slop.) Tunnel width goes hand in hand with panel width. On the steep stuff, it doesnt allow the track to sink into the hill, it just washes it out. Skis are too narrow too but that's fixable.

I did like the sled for its front suspension when I rode it in CO this year. I do not know it the spindles had much to do with technical riding though, didn't have time to really try and notice. They definitely do plow through the snow a lot of the time, but so do all sleds. The Pro spindles are a little wider with close a-arms so snow might actually be restricted more through that area than on the M with it skinnier spindle and wider a-arms.

Polaris uses the same bulkhead all around too. Cat SHOULD have copied Pol and used different foot stirrups for the mtn and flatland sleds. Then design a panel that sucks up to the frame as much as possible. With a narrower foot stirrup on the mtn segment, they could match that with a reg tunnel and narrower boards. And yeah a tapered tunnel is great for those that boondock and play in the meadows all day. I'm on one running board dang near all the time when I'm actually "riding" and not just messing around at the bottom.

Cat lost a customer with this guy... Sad.

I respect this. It's ur sled and u have to make ur decision for u.

BUT....

The argument of "if u disagree with me u obviously don't ride as steep as I do" is some what self serving...IMHO.

I think it is irrational to ignore the fact that PERHAPS someone is doing what u r saying can't be done. It is the Internet so we can't just walk outside and hash it out on the hill EVERYTIME...but come on.

Everytime some one says "no I don't think the boards are too wide or I don't think the body is too wide" we can't just assume the never leave te meadow. Opening our mind to other ideas, sometimes outside of our perceived realm of possibility makes us all better or at least more objective.

Fact is I don't have a dog in this fight or an opinion to share yet. Just seems like some have made up there mind and refuse to see anything different....and as mentioned I think the poll is skewed to depict that.

Just my .02

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Coming from someone who owns both sleds. Many people have ridden both my pro and my PC. They all end up with the same opinion, the PC holds a side hill easier and has more power. If you can't hold a side hill on whatever degree slope you are on with the PC, you need more practice.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Oh, now your going to get hurt that I think the heavy pig need not apply, I've rode 5 times this year on the PC, so it should be pretty even, come on over and lets ride and even if you follow me through the trees I will give you 100 as a friendly donation for your time.

I don't mean to offend anyone but some of you really don't know what I'm getting at when I say extreme backcountry riding, has more to do with function and weight then hp.

Just wait. . . Wyo. Your out of your mind. . . . My sled may be heavy that doesn't mean that it can't do the manuvers that your talking about it just means I will likely need a bigger breakfast and a bigger supper.

So your saying you don't think that my sled can benefit from the same things you think yours can? Have you ridden the 11t? If indeed narrower boards are better on the 800 pc they likely would give the same result on the 11t. If you think the steering needs to be fixed, likely the 11t can benefit from the same. If you think the 800 pc can benefit from different skis don't you think the same would apply to the 11t.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Coming from someone who owns both sleds. Many people have ridden both my pro and my PC. They all end up with the same opinion, the PC holds a side hill easier and has more power. If you can't hold a side hill on whatever degree slope you are on with the PC, you need more practice.

You own a 11t as well. Tell me how capable that is compared to the 800 proclimb?

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO

OK, or a pro.

Dave you should vote no, the running board width is key and you disagree therefor you would not change the sled into what I consider a better extreme backcountry sled.

Those of you that only hear I'm better than you, stop reading it that way, look at it more like, if you want to take it to another level like burandt, skinner, and bret do.

If there is anyone that will ever be around here that thinks they can take a stock PC and out sidehill a Pro, please come teach me a lesson. I'll pay you for it.

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
Coming from someone who owns both sleds. Many people have ridden both my pro and my PC. They all end up with the same opinion, the PC holds a side hill easier and has more power. .

Agreed.. I have the same experience as does my riding partner, Over 600 miles, this year, on each...

But , I, Honestly, hope everybody switches from DOO to Pro and from Cat to Pro next year... I really hope for this.

All 3 sleds are great sleds..

Kelsey

L
Dec 13, 2008
Not when it comes to people that ride like I do, or all the cat guys that now own a pro. If you put the narrow boards like you see on the '13 pro on a PC then take your buddies into some steep trees and start throwing the sled and sliding down hills trying to sidehill down hill. Your buddies would either say, I don't ride like that and would rather have wide boards, or they would agree. Why do your riding buddies own pro's then, if you like wide boards then the cat is a better sled.

Minority, look at the pole numbers, maybe not all think the boards need narrow but rather agree that changes need to be made.

Not everyone rides like you do In fact the way your allways thumping your chest I dought anyone could measure up to you. I keep expecting to see your face on a cereal box. all ive herd from you since november is that the sled is too wide and how your going to hack it up and make it narrower Its time to quit talking about it and do it. Show us some pic. when your done sure hope it look better than your can did.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
when your done sure hope it look better than your can did.

HAHA LOL.

WYO how about some real world information on these sleds. At the back of the running boards on the PC they are 27in wide. At the front at the panels they are 33". The pro is 26 at the rear and 29 at the front. The thing about the pro is that the actual footwell at about 3 inches higher is 36 inches wide. THe total width of the panels is not excessively wider on the pc. Though the width may extend lower.

I don't think the cat chassis is inferior as you make it out to be. I think the major issue is that instead of going out and learning to ride it your riding the keyboard. And if you can't get it to work for you either hack a 13g sled apart.(not adviseable) or go buy a pro.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Dave you should vote no, the running board width is key and you disagree therefor you would not change the sled into what I consider a better extreme backcountry sled.

Your ego is getting in the way, I didn't say I disagreed with anything on your wish list, just that your poll was flawed because it was your wish list or nothing, so I didn't vote:ranger:

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
OK, or a pro.

Those of you that only hear I'm better than you, stop reading it that way, look at it more like, if you want to take it to another level like burandt, skinner, and bret do.

If there is anyone that will ever be around here that thinks they can take a stock PC and out sidehill a Pro, please come teach me a lesson. I'll pay you for it.

Let me be clear. I am not reading it that way. I am just saying that everyone who says "if u don't agree than u don't ride the extreme terrain" is discounting the fact that there may be some who can take that sled into he exact terrain u are referring to and be successful. Perhaps there method is different(ie different position in sled, did suspension set up etc) than what u have deemed best. Perhaps there is something u(and others, not just u wyoboy) haven't considered or figured out yet. U said yourself(either in this thread or in another) that u have only gotten to ride 5x. (count ur blessings) maybe as whit rad has said, more time/experience on sled is needed? am I way off?

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
OK, or a pro.

Anyone of these guys would sidehill the pc just as easy as the pro. Put them on an old dragon chassis or even the impossible xp chassis and they would sidehill that too.
It's not the machine thats holding you back.
You say you've ridden the machine 5 times, spend some time with it, learn how the chassis responds and where the sweet spots are and you'll eventually be right at home.

It needs a set of skis, it needs the adjustable riser tightened up. I feel it would benefit from the narrower ski stance but whether 40" or 38" I'd be able to take it take it anywhere I want.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
If someone can out ride me thats just fine, but if you take the same person and give them the sled modded the way I want they would go even farther. THATS THE POINT. but no you guys have to get all personal.
Within the 1st 20miles I knew what need to happen and even though I still ride the chit out of it, it doesn't mean it can't be better.

The question remains if the changes where made would you be for it or against it.

Dave it is nothing personal, but the steering and boards have to be changed IMO to compare to a PRO, if you disagree then I am saying vote no so we can get a idea of whats what.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
HAHA LOL.

WYO how about some real world information on these sleds. At the back of the running boards on the PC they are 27in wide. At the front at the panels they are 33". The pro is 26 at the rear and 29 at the front. The thing about the pro is that the actual footwell at about 3 inches higher is 36 inches wide. THe total width of the panels is not excessively wider on the pc. Though the width may extend lower.

I don't think the cat chassis is inferior as you make it out to be. I think the major issue is that instead of going out and learning to ride it your riding the keyboard. And if you can't get it to work for you either hack a 13g sled apart.(not adviseable) or go buy a pro.

Really, I might need crayons

The width that matters has nothing to do with width of body up higher. If you take a straight edge from the track to the boards and measure the angle, I don't know what it is, lets say the pro is 65* and the body tappers out and gets wider up a little higher. So in theory it could sidehill a 65* slope.
Now the cat is more like 50* and if you try and go to 65* it lifts the track out of the snow and you wash out, then in turn your stuck.
I can still sidehill the steeper stuff but you have to be moving faster and you have less control.

I will hack it up, and if it looks like chit what are you going to do when that chitty looking sled does more than yours. (its not going to look like chit) the can was a test and has since been cleaned up. dam whinners who cares what it looks like.

K

Kruchy

Sep 30, 2009
Goodsoil, SK
Quit comparing it to a Poo; go buy the damn thing already. Really doesn't matter what people vote for because it is not going to change. If it did change guys would complain. You will not make everyone happy. Oh and if you do spend some time on this sled it will do what you want it to.

Gmiller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2009
Breckenridge Colorado
Anyone of these guys would sidehill the pc just as easy as the pro. Put them on an old dragon chassis or even the impossible xp chassis and they would sidehill that too.
It's not the machine thats holding you back.
You say you've ridden the machine 5 times, spend some time with it, learn how the chassis responds and where the sweet spots are and you'll eventually be right at home.

It needs a set of skis, it needs the adjustable riser tightened up. I feel it would benefit from the narrower ski stance but whether 40" or 38" I'd be able to take it take it anywhere I want.

This is hitting it on the head, a person RIDES there sled.... The sled does not ride you. I know 50-60 year olds riding old edges, summits and even an old 3 cylinder yammi and they ride better than most, in the trees, up the hills and everything in between. Why? Because they RIDE there sleds, they learned on one, and have been in every situation with one. I get what your getting at with trying to make changes but thats like asking someone what oil is better to use......

Premium Features