• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cat copyright infringement

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
Suzuki will still own part of cat, they are just building a facility here so they dont have to pay taxes ect for every motor they ship to cat from japan.

simply put theres a cost to ship every motor, why not build it where the sleds are being built?

with all brand new tooling, it should be state of the art! hopefully suzuki puts there quality control measures in stone at the new facility, i dont see why they wouldnt.

2014 Arctic Doo 800 Sno tek

lol.

C
Nov 30, 2007
Grand Junction, CO
In the world of intellectual property, getting around (or not getting around) patents comes down to the most minute design details. Obviously BRP has some claims that they feel are being infringed on. They would not be willing to invest the huge amounts of money it takes to bring a lawsuit against Cat if not clearly (in their mind) in the right. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I agree, but on the other side, I highly doubt that Cat would be willing to invest in materials, molds, tooling, etc. if they thought there was any chance they were in the wrong. I bet they have a huge legal team that examines such things before commitments are made. So how do most lawsuits play out? Settlements to avoid trials. I bet that is what Doo is counting on, to get whatever it is they want.

S
Sep 25, 2011
That's why I think Doo will want something "BIG" from Cat....if they just wanted some component they could have picked a specific aspect of rider formard or the pyramid construstion etc...but going after a full shutdown of sled production?? That's not something I remember happening ever before. And I do think Cat needs help in the way of a compliant 2 stroke, they didn't go to a heavy 4 stroke because customers wanter a heavier mountain sled, quite the opposite...they did because they had to to meet EPA regs. The only way I see that happening is with something similar to etec injection. Maybe I'm out to lunch, wouldn't be the first time. The regs will be getting tighter in coming years and it will be harder to offset with cleaner 4strokes, especially if they don't sell well. I think most cat mountain guys want a lightweight sled.
I hope it doesn't hurt Cat...I still bleed a little green from growing up in a Cat family and a Cat dealer.
EPA requirements are as tight as they are going to get. No plans for future tightening as of now. '12 was the last stage. Who knows, could be more down the road.

dunatyk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Just got my pro climb back from getting a heart transplant and i didnt cone back with and buzzin bees or an etec in it so that is a good sign. Dealer is also a doo dealer and did not hold her hostage. Glad they didnt, wouldnt want to get Reagan involved

P
Aug 14, 2011
Duluth, MN
i heard they cant sidehill either

Ski don’ts don’t sidehill. Anytime you see one that appears to be sidehilling in movies its all false. What they are really doing is turning the camera sideways to make it appear that way!

And when you think you see one is sidehilling in real life, its really just the earth’s gravity switching for a few moments to make it appear like its sidehilling!

Poor Skiz diz...

J

jbunce

Dec 12, 2010
squamish BC
quebec isnt canada they screw there own county men anyways the offer huge discounts to quebecers and screw the west coast... old boss had a place just by the factory and said if i ever wanted on he would buy it there and put it on the train and it would still be less then the msrp on the west...

Premium Features