• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cat copyright infringement

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
I did not realize that there was so many "connected" people on snowest who actually had firsthand knowledge on market share of sales. The numbers arent even published yet and the dealers haven't gotten all their product, and people are speculating on gross sales. Im sure if Arctic Cat had delivered their units on time their wouldnt have been near the influx of sales as some people are seeing. My Doo dealer here has sold all of his units for the season and my Polarius dealer is desperately searching for more units. So it would seem it could be a bumper year for all the manufacturers.

Back to topic:
I really thought my poo was a doo rev rip off and thought there would have been some sort of copyright thing going on there. Guess the must have come to some sort of agreement behind closed doors. Im sure this dipute will get settled and we will all benefit. Maybe poo will get the rights to the suzuki patents when cat starts building their own motors.

I finally got to ride both pro and proclimb i thought the pro felt alot like an xp and the proclimb felt very simular to my dragon i absolutly hate the feel of the rev and xp i dont like to work hard to stay in controll. I dont know about cat and doo but just about everybody i know has a new poo only know of two cats and no doos everybody in town it seems like has a new poo. Hated the m-series love my dragon but the new cat feels pretty good to me definitly going to spend some time on a new poo and cat

C

CatRpillar

Oct 9, 2011
Wild Rose Country
I did not realize that there was so many "connected" people on snowest who actually had firsthand knowledge on market share of sales. The numbers arent even published yet and the dealers haven't gotten all their product, and people are speculating on gross sales. Im sure if Arctic Cat had delivered their units on time their wouldnt have been near the influx of sales as some people are seeing. My Doo dealer here has sold all of his units for the season and my Polarius dealer is desperately searching for more units. So it would seem it could be a bumper year for all the manufacturers.

You know that the internet is full of experts, don't you?:tinfoil3::flypig:

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
I hope BRP is full of it.
Unfortunately financially, Cat vs Bombardier is like... well like one town in Minnesota vs the country of Canada.

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
No I'm not sure, but I am an internet expert:flypig:

I hope you are correct, cuz those pockets are deeeeeeeeep.

M7DingBat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2009
Alaska

Back to topic:
I really thought my poo was a doo rev rip off and thought there would have been some sort of copyright thing going on there. Guess the must have come to some sort of agreement behind closed doors. Im sure this dipute will get settled and we will all benefit. Maybe poo will get the rights to the suzuki patents when cat starts building their own motors.

This would be epic!

N
Oct 31, 2009
This might have been mentioned already but didn't poo gain rights to electronic reverse by giving up some of their patents when their pwc program went belly up?

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
Us Minnesotans could......

Take those Canooks, But we like 'em. If they were tough enough ya would think they could take the Northwest Angle. ( the only bump in the border)

Owen

dunatyk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Guys lets really think about this.
1. documents state that they started noticing in 2007 with the twin spar chassis, why did doo not raise a fuss then?
2. Notice on the side of your machine there is a label stating all patents related to that product. Do we reallly think that A/C totally missed that label and did not explore the patent to insure that they did not infringe on Ski Doo and risk a large suit? And i am not a patent expert by any means but i agree with the above post stating 10% change to get around a patent. Think about it 10% is really not that much if you think about it. If there are ten varaibles that make up rider position really you only need to change 1.
3. Chances are Ski Doo had people within there orginzation sno check some machines so they could inspect them. I know i recieved mine on Oct 6th maybe they got one later who knows but to dissassemble one make enginering comparisons and consult your legal team takes until the 15th of Dec to file complaint? Why would they not press the issue sooner? The suit staes that they want production halted ahh isnt production finished today according to a post i read here. And also to destroy inventory. Why would doo wait for a good percentage of the inventory to already be sold?? I know they need to be sure berfore starting such a large legal process.

This is just my own opinion. i think this is a marketing ploy by BRP to interupt A/C sales. I am not certain but i belive late dec and january are the best months for sales on non snow check sled. So yeah why not throw something out like this just as sales season gets going? As a consumer i want to buy products from a company that has long term forcast and a claim like this will surely bring doubt to alot of consumers. So i call radishes on the suit, you never know though but if i were on a jury and in the stae of today economy had to choose between crippling a US company or a foreign company i know what i would do

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
The little guy can still win against the big, deep pocket, companies like BRP. Val Simmons is a perfect example of that. BRP tried to steal his ski design a couple years back. I think Val came out on top on that one. Sucks though. A law suite, no matter how frivolous, takes a lot of time and money for both sides. It'll be interesting to see where this goes.

And BOSS did the same thing to Polaris on the 03 Escape seat.

sled_guy

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
This might have been mentioned already but didn't poo gain rights to electronic reverse by giving up some of their patents when their pwc program went belly up?

It was the electronic reverse and coupled rear suspension stuff that got traded.

sled_guy

J

JROD

Nov 6, 2004
Bozeman, MT
Instead of throwing around money in legal action against Cat, maybe they should invest in a program that will unveil a revolutionary new idea, like a primary clutch that doesn't need rebuilt every 500 miles, that doesn't eat cranks and $hit belts and that doesn't cost 3x what the competitors cost.

If they could do that and knock $800 off the cost of a new sled it would be a win/win for Doo.

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
That's why I bought a Cat....

'cause it just like a Doo.......Yeah, right ! Maybe I'll change my mind I don't want a Doo. even if it's painted like a Cat.

On another note. Where's my sled?

Owen

Last edited:

stonehands1

Lifetime Membership
Jul 26, 2010
Mt. Baker
Instead of throwing around money in legal action against Cat, maybe they should invest in a program that will unveil a revolutionary new idea, like a primary clutch that doesn't need rebuilt every 500 miles, that doesn't eat cranks and $hit belts and that doesn't cost 3x what the competitors cost.

If they could do that and knock $800 off the cost of a new sled it would be a win/win for Doo.

Yeah good idea. Lets just abolish patent laws all together. This way we could all still be riding 1970's technology sleds. It's b/c of these laws that people invent new stuff. Without them where is the incentive to invent. Oh and btw your description of a doo sled could and does describe every sled built.

This whole thread does absolutley nothing except show how stupid people are, and their willingness to say stupid chit just to make them feel like part of something(not hacking you personally j-rod I mean all of us).
I highly doubt there are five people on snowest that can actually contribute in an educated way to this thread.

Premium Features