• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

So who eles is already having belt problems

Stocker

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2004
Ankritz, AK
Just a random thought, but maybe its a bad batch of belts and not the clutches. Might explain why they have been in short supply and backorderd waiting for a new batch? Unless their is a lot of variation in dealer clutch set-ups I find it hard to believe you have a lot of guys with significant miles and zero belt issues (including me) and some blowing belts in under 100.

But I think we can all agree your dealer should at least be hooking you up with a new belt. No known clutch issues that they can determine and blown belts at low miles should be taken care of, not tossed under the bus.

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
snow

Did you fix the vents or just get on it and ride?

After the first trip to BC we are down 3 belts between two sleds (Cords hanging out, not totally blown). Only about 120 miles total over 3 days.

Getting the same BS response form dealer about not properly breaking the belts in, even though the first belt I lost was washed, scuffed and had a 18 mile break in. There was no heavy continuous riding that would have even got the clutches hot.

The alinement has been checked again and is correct according to cat, and I checked the secondary for the jack shaft play, its fine. I found a solid black ring of rubber about 3/4" wide at the bottom of the primary at the end of the last day. This and the fact that the defection changed a lot very quickly leads me to think that the side clearance on the primary is not set properly.

We were also experiencing a lot of belt chatter as we were riding tight trees and where in and out of the throttle all the time. Could this also be a result of improper clearances.

Is anyone else experiencing this. I would really like to get this sorted out before the spool goes on so any help would be great.

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
Did you fix the vents or just get on it and ride?

Not 100% on what you mean by fix the vents. But I did have frog screen over the fan intake vent on the clutch side, and my panel was installed properly. I never really noticed any obvious belt slip due to snow. I have not done anything with the rear facing vertical vent .

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Check clutch aligment too. My secondary was not shimmed correctly. The aligment tool is part #0644-428 1.485 offset. .060" between alignment tool and inner clutch sheave.

I have thoughts on if the clutch fan gets some snow sucked into it in deep snow from the side panel gill vent that faces the rear. In theory it would fling the snow into the primary and belt. I took my clutch fan off for this weekend to try out. Tired of it rubbing into my belly pan side when I get it on its side...

Last edited:
T

trackvs2wheels

Nov 26, 2007
Monument, CO
Going West~

I truly believe your clutches have to be getting out of alignment somehow. This (in my experince with an old 01 800 RMK) would lead to very quick deteriation of a belts side (i.e. cords pulling out).

I know you said they were aligned by the Cat dealer...but something is making your engine twist enough to put a side load on your belts and they do not appreciate a side load.

Thoughts??

T

trackvs2wheels

Nov 26, 2007
Monument, CO
Also, I truly doubt that it can be a prevelent issue with the new M8 PC because wasn't it all the Arctic Cat guys saying how this sled has been in the testing phase for well over 3 years (of course, top secret). I don't believe Arctic Cat would put out a sled that they knew it couldn't keep belts on...unless they intend on making their money by selling extra belts that is:)

Just saying...has to be something specific to your sled maybe...???

Ol* Geezer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Over 100 miles and no belt problems, even less belt dust than my old 1M would have at that mileage.

S

skooter

Dec 11, 2007
Montana
Clutches are way to hot on mine with alot of belt dust and i dont have a spare belt yet . Also found clutch guard rubbing on secondary .

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
I think it's something in one of the clutches hanging up and not shifting up. Prob the secondary. The primary is tightening as Rpms increase but the secondary doesn't open or is slow to. Thus causing the low track speeds, burn markss and wrecked belts. It would take some serious misalignment to cause this problem and I doubt that's it.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
If you could get it on a track stand or rope the bumper off the floor you could quickly find out. Pull the clutch cover gas it and see if they open and close all the way

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
After another day of riding and "tinkering" We are making some progress. IMO, there is still a fundamental issue with the ProClimb that is causing this belt chatter. We are working on a solution but Ialso feel that this issue is only present at low engine rpms. BUT, it is an issue and should be adressed..

We have made some very significant gains with some clutch changes and will be producing a SIMPLE kit for the 800.. We also will be addressing several other "issues" that are robbing you of some HP.. One such product is already completed..

Feel free to check the website for details.. Keep checking because we will be adding other "fixes" as they are completed..

All in all, the sled is a good sled.. After a few "tweeks" it should be a real performer. We will be busy all season with this one.

Kelsey

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
A tight belt (deflection) will pull a string quick and chatter.

Make sure you have an inch and a quarter of bend in the belt when you push down in the middle.

Premium Features