• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Buying a used cell phone

P
Nov 26, 2007
Busted my cell phone clearing trails last weekend. I have a Razr V3m, with Verizon. I'm in the middle of a contract so I would rather not extend it. It looks like a new phone is >250. I see a bunch on eBay (thinking I might try a Navigator 750) that have no contract. I assume I can buy one of them and contact Verizon and get the thing straightened out? Is there something I'm missing or should know?

Tia
Dave

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
Busted my cell phone clearing trails last weekend. I have a Razr V3m, with Verizon. I'm in the middle of a contract so I would rather not extend it. It looks like a new phone is >250. I see a bunch on eBay (thinking I might try a Navigator 750) that have no contract. I assume I can buy one of them and contact Verizon and get the thing straightened out? Is there something I'm missing or should know?

Tia
Dave

yes, they will charge you $20 to get it all set up. But you can do that. I have a lg vx8100 that still works if you want a free phone. Just pay for shipping and i will mail it on out!

C

CuzzinOlaf

Dec 12, 2007
I have my old Razr just sitting in the drawer. I think Verizon will activate it for free if you're in a contract. Shoot me a PM with an offer.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
yes, they will charge you $20 to get it all set up. But you can do that. I have a lg vx8100 that still works if you want a free phone. Just pay for shipping and i will mail it on out!

Shouldn't have to do that... make sure the phone isn't "prepaid"... a lot of the ones on feebay and craigslist are prepay phones. THose *can* be activated to contract-services but most of hte idiots at the stores don't know how to do that.

I think there's a numbe you can dial (*228?) and you can program the phoen over the network...

G
Nov 28, 2008
MN
Shouldn't have to do that... make sure the phone isn't "prepaid"... a lot of the ones on feebay and craigslist are prepay phones. THose *can* be activated to contract-services but most of hte idiots at the stores don't know how to do that.

I think there's a numbe you can dial (*228?) and you can program the phoen over the network...

is it just me or do you have to be retarded to work in a cell phone store?? I hate going into those places. a simple task is always a project for them.

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
If you have it set up to view your account online you can actualy switch the phone over without even having to talk to anyone at verizon. I have bought about four cell phones off of ebay and have never paid a penny to have anyone switch them over I do it all online.

Y
Nov 26, 2007
north bend, wa
Make sure the phone does not have a "simm" card slot. Simm card phones are for GSM systems and Verizon is not part of that system.....so basically there are 2 types of Razor, one GSM(ATT-Tmobile) and the other CDMA(verizon-Sprint).

When you call Verizon they should be able to get you to find the "ESN" number on your phone and then program it with your number.

P
Nov 26, 2007
Thanks for the help guys. While searching eBay I found screens and glass. For $25 I was able to put my phone back together today and it works!

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
is it just me or do you have to be retarded to work in a cell phone store?? I hate going into those places. a simple task is always a project for them.

Derrrr, ya but dey gets dare own olimpicks!

Wat wuz da kweshten?:confused:

Ding!
Fries are done!!!!!

Would you like an appo pie wit dat?:face-icon-small-ton

Premium Features