• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

no power to the fuel pump

P
Any help with the following issue is appreciated!

Sled-2010 M-8
Issue-no power to the fuel pump
I have spark

I am suspect of a bare wire shorting out or poor ground. Here's what I know so far.

When I add alternate power to the fuel pump the fuel pump runs and so does the sled. This is achieved by unplugging the fuel pump harness and supplying power from a 12v battery. The sled will fire right up and run perfect.

When the fuel pump wiring harness is unplugged and the sled is running off of the alternate source, the gauge does not light up nor does the tail light. If I quickly unplug the alternate battery running the fuel pump and reconnect the fuel pump wire harness the gauge and tail light illuminate (flicker) as long as it stays running. I am also watching the fuel pressure gauge and can tell when I'm loosing power because I'm loosing pressure.

I've been messing with this thing all day, wiggling harnesses and whatnot trying to locate the spot but no success. Anyone out there have suggestions???:frusty:

I had a problem in the past with the thumb warmer shorting out but it only seemed to effect the lighting circuit and not run ability.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Any help with the following issue is appreciated!

Sled-2010 M-8
Issue-no power to the fuel pump
I have spark

I am suspect of a bare wire shorting out or poor ground. Here's what I know so far.

When I add alternate power to the fuel pump the fuel pump runs and so does the sled. This is achieved by unplugging the fuel pump harness and supplying power from a 12v battery. The sled will fire right up and run perfect.

When the fuel pump wiring harness is unplugged and the sled is running off of the alternate source, the gauge does not light up nor does the tail light. If I quickly unplug the alternate battery running the fuel pump and reconnect the fuel pump wire harness the gauge and tail light illuminate (flicker) as long as it stays running. I am also watching the fuel pressure gauge and can tell when I'm loosing power because I'm loosing pressure.

I've been messing with this thing all day, wiggling harnesses and whatnot trying to locate the spot but no success. Anyone out there have suggestions???:frusty:

I had a problem in the past with the thumb warmer shorting out but it only seemed to effect the lighting circuit and not run ability.

First off check the fuses if you haven't already, second the M series wires did rub through sometimes. Check the area on the left side of the fuel tank,and under the seat. Another area was the main harness from the ccu. Electrical can be hard to find but usually easy to fix. You may have two separate issues i would also repair the thumb warmer issue first and see if that changes anything.

Last edited:
S
Feb 19, 2017
There is a ground underneath the coolant bottle. It’s buried in there but mine was starting to chaff against the frame. It could be causing your issues.

Premium Features