• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help - Hard Starting

S
Jan 22, 2008
Southern, MN
I am hoping someone can give me some advice. I have a 2010 M8 HCR with a Push RG (tial) set up. I am running 8 lbs of boost at 9000 feet elevation with a gas mix between 50-70% 110 and the rest 91. The sled is dialed in, shows 13's on the AFR, pulls hard, with vertually no lag/bog..

Sled starts o.k. in the morning (certainly not 4 pulls my my n.a., but she pops off similar to other turbo'd sleds), however, if I shut the darn thing off after working it, it is a beee-otch to start. Pull the sled 50 times, maybe..... Work the flipper, hold it open, try all the tricks of the trade to get it going. Yep, heat soak switch on/off, doesn't matter. It has never left me hanging, but a couple of times I thought I was gonna have to walk...

This only happens if you shut it off and try to start it shortly after shutting it off - like the time to help your buddy get out of an easy stuck. If the sled sits for 10-15 min, then usually not to hard to get going again. Runs good/idles down nice as well.

Running NGK Iridium plugs (BR10 EIX 6801). Checked plugs the other day and changed them - they were pretty dark (black) and icky looking, definatly not lean but not fouled either. One plug's top cap came off and stuck in the boot as I removed it. I have not had a chance to run the sled to see if the problem is fixed or not.

Any suggestions on what it could be or what I should look at?

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
Turn switch on, pull rope till it fires and dies, shut switch off and hold wide open, should start in three or less pulls if you follow this exactly.

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
I have found that that procedure does NOT work on my 2010. It almost seems like on my sled that the hot restart issue comes from flooding, as opposed to lack of fuel. Just food for thought. But the others above have the typical hot restard info correct.

On my 20120 hcr I have some luck when trying to hot restart it when it smells flooded by turning the kill switch to off, and pulling a bunch of times at WOT then turning the kill to on, and pulling till it starts. It is frustrating, but always pops eventually.

W

wasatchcomm

Aug 17, 2009
Pinedale wy.
i have 2010 as well, different kit but like some have stated the most important thing to do on mine is always let it idle down for at least 10-15 seconds, when i have done this it will always start right back up.

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
Turbo starting issues

From what you said 99% sure its reads. I have no idea why they start when cold with bad reads but that is a good sign that that is what it is. The only other thing I have seen is some time when you put the BDX high volume pump in they do not build enough pressure and that can cause hard start due to no fuel pressure.

So make sure you have fuel pressure and if you do get some reeds.

S
Jan 22, 2008
Southern, MN
Thanks for the input guys. I always let it idle down, unless of course I get bucked off. Hadn't thought about the reeds, turbo has only been on for 500 miles and doesn't have any other problems usually associated with reeds - I'll have to check. I do have the bdx high volume pump in, hadn't considered that either.

Thanks, more to look at and consider.

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
I wouldn't discount the reeds because you only have 500 miles. Some guys can't get close to 500 miles on a set of reeds.

The fuel pump not building pressure is normally more a problem when the sled has been sitting long enough for the BDX FPR to bleed off all pressure. The acc. plug doesn't put out a lot of juice when cranking, so the pump has a hard time building pressure. Canadian Power Machines designed a wiring harness and relay setup that gets juice from the stock fuel pump wiring and then switches to the acc. plug. The stock fuel pump wiring puts out more juice while cranking. Twisted sells the harness as well and it is on their website.

My M1000 only takes about 12 psi of fuel pressure to start, so it has been firing fine off the acc. plug after about 5-6 pulls.

Premium Features