• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Intercooler or not?

STAFFORDIRT

Premium Member
Jan 3, 2009
Enumclaw,Wa
Thinking about putting a Boondocker PG turbo on my 09 m8. Want a boondockin machine-not really a huge hillclimber. Wondering if there are any real bennifits to the intercooler- from what I am gatering it is just exta weight....Please give me your input-Thanks

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Thinking about putting a Boondocker PG turbo on my 09 m8. Want a boondockin machine-not really a huge hillclimber. Wondering if there are any real bennifits to the intercooler- from what I am gatering it is just exta weight....Please give me your input-Thanks

I've only got one ride on mine so far, that was today in spring-like snow conditions.

I'm still trying to get it dailed in, but using the bone-stock boondocker settings, I felt like I lost just a little bit on the bottom right off idle, but I don't think it's going to be enough to really annoy me.

What I gained mid through top end is just freaking awsome though :)

It isn't bad as it stands right now, but I actually had to add just a slight bit of fuel to it...

I did some WOT runs through some meadows then tried to hit the kill switch @ wot, coast to a stop, take a plug reading.

Did that on the stock BD numbers and the plugs looked just a tad lean.

Added just a slight bit of fuel ... my EGT's never got above 1150, but I didn't really do any long pulls either.

I'll keep playing with it, but initial results are very promising.

It's the 2010/11 kit on a 2009 M8, with the intercooler and the EBC ... I have to say, I was actually pleased with the operation of the EBC ... I was kind of skeptical at first, but it seemed like it worked really well today.

Had it up to 10.6 psi @ 10k feet .... adjusted itself well enough :)

Talk to SnowJW on here, he's a good guy to deal with if you're interested in this kit.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
The only cooler I would run is a water to air cooler, there is not more lag because it doesn't increase air volume and a better more consistent tuning temp.

S

summithd

Nov 26, 2007
Bozeman, MT
www.summithdfilms.com
Third year on the 09 M8 Boondockers PGT...just put the intercooler on this summer and it really does make a difference. Been out three times in deep conditions and charge temps never got above 210. Before the intercooler I was consistently hitting 255 and you could feel the power drop off. Running 9.5lbs with DC Out hitting 87% at 9500ft.

In my experience I would highly recommend one. Two other guys I ride with also put the cooler on and are very satisfied.

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
Here is info from http://www.coderedperformance.com/turbos.html

As turbo systems increase boost, the temperature of the intake air increases (following the laws of physics). At certain boost levels this rise in temperature becomes dramatic. An intercooler mounts between your turbo and your engine and lowers intake temperatures, allowing the air to become more dense.

For example, lets take a test 800cc engine, running 8200 RPM, at 8000 ft elevation, and 32° ambient air temp.

If we take our test engine and boost it 8 psi, with a reasonable turbo compressor efficiency of 72%, our compressor temp rise would be 116 ° added that to our ambient air temp of 32°, we would have a charge air temp of 148° and make approximately 194.7 HP.

Now if we were to add an intercooler that is 60% efficient, our charge air temp would drop 70° leaving us with a charge air temp of 78° and make approximately 220.1 HP, a 13% HP gain.

Let’s take our test sled and bump it up to 15 psi. If we use the same compressor efficiency of 72% our compressor temp rise would be 185° added to our ambient air temp of 32°, we would have a charge air temp of 217° and make approximately 239.6 HP. (at this kind of charge air temp you would most like experience detonation)

Now if we were to add an intercooler that is 60% effective, our charge air temps would drop 111° leaving us with a charge air temp of 106° and make approximately 286.6 HP, a 20% HP gain, and no detonation.

Y

yamazoom

Nov 26, 2007
Bozeman, MT
I put 2,000 miles on an 09 M8 Boondocker PGT. The first 1500 miles had no intercooler and the next 500 had the new BD intercooler. BD new intercooler has very little pressure drop across the core keeping throttle response and spool up quick. I'm not sure why but my throttle response and spool up time seemed to actually improve. I usually ran 8-9 psi with no intercooler and under extended long pulls or deep powder days I would see 255 degrees which is max temp the box will display quite often. There was a noticable decline in performance once the boost got to this temperature. With the intercooler the power is always consistent, the only time you have to stop is to cool the clutches. I found the boost temp dropped a minimum of 70-80 degrees with the intercooler under high load conditions. I'm very happy with consistent power the intercooler helps achieve and just got done building a 2010 BDRG turbo with intercooler. I purchased my BD intercooler from Justin at Code Red, he can share his own personal experiences and customers experiences with this great product. Hope this helps.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
My dealer likes it. Says it makes a difference and has one on his 2011 m8.

If your running a pg you can only supply enough gas to equal the boost so if you run without a cooler and are at 99% duty cycle at 9lbs, then with a cooler you will have to turn down the boost because you are getting more air in the cylinder because the air is denser, but it will have just as much power, and possibly more consistent with less chance of deto.

Premium Features