• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Push Tuning Help Needed

S
Jan 22, 2008
Southern, MN
Hey guys I need some help as I am all out of ideas.... Last year sled ran great until I hit a rock and bent the shiz-nit out of the bulkhead. So over the summer a new bulk head and tunnel was done with everything being transfered over.

I have a push RG kit and I run 12 lbs of boost. Like I said, sled ran great last year with the exception of a bad low end bog...new reeds and a clutch kit should have remied that (which were also done this summer).

First ride now.... and the thing falls on it's face. on the trail I now have it running o.k. pulls hard, boost comes up pulls the skis off the trail, AFR's are at 11 - 12. To get this had to lower the fuel pressure from 40 to 34ish.

Problem is when in the fluffy with some slope, the damn things coughs, spits, and sputters.. I have been all over with the box (dobec) numbers. Where she stands now is G-0, Y-0, R-0 GB - 5.5, YB - 5.5, and RB - 5.5.

any thoughs???

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
Ya

You probably pinched some wires or just a boost leak putting back together. It more than like either an install issue or a short in wire harness and they are a bass turd to find and cure new harness ..

w2bridin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
nd
MM sports is a master at these and is probably right. I just thought I would add my 2010 m8 push RG tial kit wont hardly run at 40 psi at elevation either. Depending on your elevation but 8000 ft I run 34-35psi and in ND I run 38.

S
Jan 22, 2008
Southern, MN
follow up question

So it seems we cant pull enough fuel from the dam thing.... do the dam fuel pressure gauges ever go bad - meaning the gauge reads 30 PSI but the pressure is actually 38 PSI??

Also any thoughts on this one... we would adjust the fuel pressure down to 36 ... read it balls on... button up the tank, try a few pulls to adjust the box, and the damn pressure was back higher than where we set it...

dammit!!

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
I have a push RG kit and I run 12 lbs of boost. Like I said, sled ran great last year with the exception of a bad low end bog...new reeds and a clutch kit should have remied that (which were also done this summer). No I doubt that the down sides of the DB box

First ride now.... and the thing falls on it's face. on the trail I now have it running o.k. pulls hard, boost comes up pulls the skis off the trail, AFR's are at 11 - 12. To get this had to lower the fuel pressure from 40 to 34ish.

Problem is when in the fluffy with some slope, the damn things coughs, spits, and sputters.. I have been all over with the box (dobec) numbers. Where she stands now is G-0, Y-0, R-0 GB - 5.5, YB - 5.5, and RB - 5.5.

any thoughs???

Sounds like maybe you have a fuel pressure issue but I would be guessing O ya and a fuel control issue

w2bridin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
nd
Do u have a new fuel pressure reg. U could try? My buddy had the exact same problem I think he found a bad reg.

S
Jan 22, 2008
Southern, MN
on the right track

yes, there is a fuel pressure regulator in the tank...

Dobec box may also be a problem as it was real finickey to get it to cycle and stay in the yellow/blue mode... it would skip from g/b to r/b and was a beotch to get yellow blue to stay.

S
Jan 22, 2008
Southern, MN
kinda sloppy on the top

I would have to say the sled is garbly on the top end, spits, sputters, kinda falls on it's face... really bad when there is a good load on the motor, not so bad with less load - like running down the trail.

S
Jan 22, 2008
Southern, MN
still frustrated

no luck resolving this issue yet. Just got the regulator changed. At 40 lbs, she's real garbly when you pinch the flipper - she spits, sputters, coughs...just flat out does not like it. Brought the pressure down to 38 - no real change. Green blue is completely off now WTF... I like a challenge but this is sick... It's like it's in limp mode - but the be otch doesn't throw any codes. Beginning to look like I have a date with a wire diagram and a multi meter....

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
Might have to turn the fuel pressure down some more. My Push TM1000 will run great at 30-32 lbs fuel pressure, but if I turn it up to 34 lbs it runs just like you are talking about. This is at 7-10,000 ft. Also, I have never experienced it, but I have read on here that chipped reeds can make it run bad on the bottom end.

S
Jan 22, 2008
Southern, MN
keep trying

I'll keep trying by turning the pressure down - by 2 lb incriments until I get it to clean up. Is there a floor that you can go and how do you know when you are at it??? Does the sled just refuse to start or idle or what.

Just to clairify, down low the sled runs great - only when I pinch the flipper full does it fall on it's face. Occasionally, if you apply throttle slow and feather it in - like when you are running down the trail, it wont bog as bad. But if I am sitting at the bottom of a hill (or in the back yard) and I pinch the throttle all the way to tear up the grass - it just spits, sputters, and cant get out of it's way.

Another thing I question is when I do that - the box is showing red/blue mode. Seconday injectors are engaged -

Pistons look like they were buffed - that's how clean they are...

w2bridin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
nd
Did you try adding a little yellow? If I put my yellow at 0 it will bog off the bottom a little like you are describing in deep powder. I will try mash my throttle like that and see if the r/b lights up right away like yours. What elevation are you riding at?

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
Has it done since you first put the kit on? When I first installed my Push kit on my sled it would barely run and wouldn't go faster than 35 mph, no matter what setting I used. No joke. I met Ken in Cooke and found out it was programmed wrong and adding boost fuel starting at .5 lb. He reprogrammed it so it didn't start adding boost fuel until 2 lbs and finally started running pretty good. His program wasn't great, so I took my sled to Dobeck Performance and had it reprogrammed again. Sled ran way better, but was still a little lean. I took it back over again to tweak the program a little more, but haven't had it on the snow yet to try. The guys at Dobeck are great to deal with and far easier to get a hold of than Ken. I am fortunate to live only an hour away from their HQ. They have reprogrammed and test rode my sled twice without charging me a dime. If your sled has never ran quite right and you are sure your install is good I would send my box to Dobeck and have them reprogram it. Just make sure they know what boost you plan to run, because that is why my first reprogram wasn't quite right. I was having boost controller issues, so when they rode and tuned it, it was pulling 12 lbs of boost. I got my boost lowered to the 5-8 lbs that I plan to run and that made their program not quite right.

S
Jan 22, 2008
Southern, MN
Thanks for the continued help. Currently I am trying to fix this problem at home in MN - so elevation is going to be 1200 or so (I think). Anyhow - here and at elevation sled ran the same. Slow to mid speed sled is o.k., no bog. Only when you grab hand full of throttle does it cough, spit, and sputtter. It is actually my riding parner's sled - so not sure what mode he has been in when squeezing the flipper, however, I know mine (same set up with an attitude box) the green blue does most of the heavy lifting and yellow blue under hard/prolonged boost pulls.

Gonna try turning fuel pressure down to 32 and see if it gets any better - I'm out of ideas....

Premium Features